View Poll Results: What did you think of THE AVENGERS?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 STARS -- HULK SMASH!! I LOVED IT!

42 89.36%
  • 4 STARS -- ASSEMBLE! WOW, GREAT FILM!

5 10.64%
  • 3 STARS -- Thor says "ANOTHA!" - I LIKE THIS!

0 0%
  • 2 STARS -- DROPPED THE HAMMER. IT WAS OK

0 0%
  • 1 STAR -- I DON'T PLAY WELL WITH OTHERS

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: 'The Avengers' -- Micechat Reviews (SPOILERS)

Not a superhero fanatic
    Don't like comic books

That being said, this movie was a solid 5! Had action, humor, great actors...kept my interest for the entire movie and I could have sat through another hour. Well done!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Roger Rabbit once said that if you don't have a sense of humor, you're better off dead.

I never ever thought that a comic book / super hero movie should be funnier than most Adam Sandler movies. The Avengers have proven that to me twice now.

After the 2nd viewing, I still think it's a greatly executed picture... but more of a 4 star movie... not a 5. The laughs though... still worked exactly as it did as the first time. And a lot of the laughs weren't even "funny" per se... it was just them NAILING what was done in the comics and it's right there on the big screen for all of us to marvel at. It was a laugh from pure enjoyment. And that's a hard job to pull off.

The weakest player in this movie however is Alan Silvestri, the film's composer. The man who has given us great music from Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and even a decent heartwarming score for Lilo & Stitch, fails to give The Avengers something that really equals the on screen heroes. It's a lot to be said when his melodies for Captain America is better than what he wrote for The Avengers.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post

The weakest player in this movie however is Alan Silvestri, the film's composer. The man who has given us great music from Forrest Gump, Back to the Future, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, and even a decent heartwarming score for Lilo & Stitch, fails to give The Avengers something that really equals the on screen heroes. It's a lot to be said when his melodies for Captain America is better than what he wrote for The Avengers.
    All I remember from Captain America is the Star Spangled Man song but that alone is better than the score for this film. I wonder if John Powell or Henry Jackman (I really enjoyed his orchestral plus rock hybrid score for X-men First Class) might have been better choices?

Anyhow, onto the film itself...For those of us that are superhero fanatics and love comics, the comic based films can end up really watered down compared to what we're used to - Exhibit A being last year's Green Lantern. And if I may digress for a second, SFMM's Green Lantern First Flight coaster ended up being really watered down compared to what the ride is capable of.

Well, Avengers = not watered down at all. In fact, it's a lot more fun than most current comics. Even Whedon's Buffy comic series isn't always this enjoyable.

As great as the effects and action sequences are, I feel the real beauty of the film lies in the interpersonal dynamics. Molding dysfunctional groups into something more functional has always been a Whedon strength and The Avengers are no exception.

I'll definitely be seeing this again in the theaters. In the meantime, I'm inspired to watch Buffy and Firefly episodes.

• former CM

I loved this surprisingly funny movie!

• Ravenclaw

who was the villain at the first end credits scene?
    Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Exprmnt626 View Post
    who was the villain at the first end credits scene?
    MAJOR SPOILER
    (reveal at your own risk if you haven't seen the movie)

Spoiler
    Thanos

---------- Post added 05-08-2012 at 07:33 AM ----------

The score had absolutely no impact on me, in fact, I hardly remember any music. That's how forgettable it was.

Like Coheteboy, I'm a HUGE fan of movie soundtracks, and not the ones with pop/rock songs on them. They are quite simply our age's "Classical Music" (which I'm also a fan of).

A fantastic score can turn what would have been an average movie (gonna say it ... Forrest Gump) into an AMAZING movie (Forrest Gump). Without that soundtrack, and that opening score, the movie doesn't have the same punch. So it's not like Silvestri isn't capable (as Coheteboy said).

Another example ... take the Star Wars Prequels. Yes, the movies kind of suck, and sometimes I get the feeling that John Williams knew it and kind of "dialed it in". ESPECIALLY on Episode II. Episode I's soundtrack was great, I mean, how could you NOT love Duel of the Fates? Episode II was just kind of blah, and quite frankly was probably Williams worst soundtrack (IMO). Episode III got a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by brand42 View Post
    All I remember from Captain America is the Star Spangled Man song but that alone is better than the score for this film. I wonder if John Powell or Henry Jackman (I really enjoyed his orchestral plus rock hybrid score for X-men First Class) might have been better choices?
    Agreed, Star Spangled Man was great. I'd also like to throw Michael Giacchino in the mix.

Anyhow, onto the film itself...For those of us that are superhero fanatics and love comics, the comic based films can end up really watered down compared to what we're used to - Exhibit A being last year's Green Lantern. And if I may digress for a second, SFMM's Green Lantern First Flight coaster ended up being really watered down compared to what the ride is capable of.
    Agreed about both points of Green Lantern. I will say I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would, but I had such low expectations. I didn't even watch it until 2 weeks ago.

Well, Avengers = not watered down at all. In fact, it's a lot more fun than most current comics. Even Whedon's Buffy comic series isn't always this enjoyable.

As great as the effects and action sequences are, I feel the real beauty of the film lies in the interpersonal dynamics. Molding dysfunctional groups into something more functional has always been a Whedon strength and The Avengers are no exception.

I'll definitely be seeing this again in the theaters. In the meantime, I'm inspired to watch Buffy and Firefly episodes.
    Totally agreed with the above. Whedon's strength has always been about the characters, whether they were Vampires or Vampire Killers or anything else. It's nice that he's finally getting his due.

• MiceChat Moderator

The only score of Henry Jackman I own is for last year's Winnie the Pooh and it was delightful so I have no doubt he could do something fun with The Avengers.

John Powell was really low on my radar but after hearing his score for X-Men 3 and How to Train Your Dragon... I have complete trust in him as a composer.

Michael Giacchino is a good choice too, though he hasn't delivered anything as good as Up in a while.

I generally love everything James Newton Howard does but his score for Green Lantern was lacking. Can't really blame him though!

• Infinitized!

Saw it on IMAX 3D today and had a blast from start to finish. Fun movie!!

Would've been hilarious in the end credits scene if...
    Spoiler
    Hugh Jackman walked in as Wolverine while they were sitting there eating. I know, I know, X-Men is with Fox. Damn, Marvel Studios needs to get the movie rights back to all their character movie franchises. This would've been great!

• mountains beyond mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    A fantastic score can turn what would have been an average movie (gonna say it ... Forrest Gump) into an AMAZING movie (Forrest Gump). Without that soundtrack, and that opening score, the movie doesn't have the same punch. So it's not like Silvestri isn't capable (as Coheteboy said).

Another example ... take the Star Wars Prequels. Yes, the movies kind of suck, and sometimes I get the feeling that John Williams knew it and kind of "dialed it in". ESPECIALLY on Episode II. Episode I's soundtrack was great, I mean, how could you NOT love Duel of the Fates? Episode II was just kind of blah, and quite frankly was probably Williams worst soundtrack (IMO). Episode III got a bit better.

Not to go on too much of a tangent but I actually like "Across the Stars" from Episode II. With that theme and "Battle of Heroes", I feel that Mr. Williams is trying to lead those scenes in certain directions but the directing and acting and dialogue and what have you are so subpar that they fail to match the emotions of the music.

The only score of Henry Jackman I own is for last year's Winnie the Pooh and it was delightful so I have no doubt he could do something fun with The Avengers.

John Powell was really low on my radar but after hearing his score for X-Men 3 and How to Train Your Dragon... I have complete trust in him as a composer.

Michael Giacchino is a good choice too, though he hasn't delivered anything as good as Up in a while.

I generally love everything James Newton Howard does but his score for Green Lantern was lacking. Can't really blame him though!
    How about Steve Jablonsky? I thought one of the few positives of the Transformers films were his scores.

Just to keep things Avengers related, this did not occur to me until I read someone else's comments on another site but this film was so great, it made me forget about my dislike of Tony Stark, mainly due to events he was responsible for in the Marvel Civil War series. In fact, I haven't even seen Iron Man or IM2 due to that self imposed embargo. I know it may seem silly but as we are all passionate fans of one thing or another on this site, we all have our irrational peculiarities in this regard.

Barbossa, I don't think that would have topped that character's cameo in X-men First Class

• Disneyland PAP

Yeah, I was really disappointed with his score here as well. At times during my second time seeing the movie, I paid specific attention to the music but it was an effort I didn't enjoy. Being old school, I just wanted to hear more themes, not so much for each character but motifs that were distinctive and hummable. And there was none of that. And it seems there's less and less of that going on these days. I bought his Captain America score and play it often. I'm now leaning towards picking up the Thor score finally too. But I'm less enthusiastic about buying this one. Makes me sad. Only real bummer about the film.

• MiceChat Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Gone2Disneyland View Post
    Yeah, I was really disappointed with his score here as well. At times during my second time seeing the movie, I paid specific attention to the music but it was an effort I didn't enjoy. Being old school, I just wanted to hear more themes, not so much for each character but motifs that were distinctive and hummable. And there was none of that. And it seems there's less and less of that going on these days. I bought his Captain America score and play it often. I'm now leaning towards picking up the Thor score finally too. But I'm less enthusiastic about buying this one. Makes me sad. Only real bummer about the film.

I went on Amazon and bought the mp3 files for The Helicarrier and The Avengers. I rate them a C. They're okay in a mix of other tunes but still nothing that I want to listen on repeat... which is usually what happens when I hear a good score.

I've been listening to Alan Silvestri's score for Judge Dredd a lot more lately and... he did a great job with that one.

Brand, Steve Jablonsky elevated Transformers to another level. While I initially thought "Oh, here's another Hans Zimmer alumni making a Hans Zimmeresque score", it's actually hummable and memorable and delivers awful/mediocre films into something else entirely. They were epic!

• Disneyland PAP

I went on Amazon and bought the mp3 files for The Helicarrier and The Avengers. I rate them a C. They're okay in a mix of other tunes but still nothing that I want to listen on repeat... which is usually what happens when I hear a good score.
    Ugh, I hate just buying one or two tracks. It's just the geek in me to have to own all or nothing. But thanks for letting me know which ones you picked.
    Brand, Steve Jablonsky elevated Transformers to another level. While I initially thought "Oh, here's another Hans Zimmer alumni making a Hans Zimmeresque score", it's actually hummable and memorable and delivers awful/mediocre films into something else entirely. They were epic!
    Since I've avoided TF2 & 3 like the plague, I'll probably never listen to it. But I need to pop X-Men: First Class back in to watch/listen. I think I meant to pick up that score last year and forgot.

• Very Helpful Old Feller

Well, reckon my heart's in Texas but right now I live down N'Olins way...

Howdy Pards,

Well, I just returned home from watchin' it. When the Hulk...well...you know. What a joy! Great movie. 5 stars or maybe six or seven on a scale of 5! Did you all see the smilin' bad guy half way through the credits at the end? Whoops! Maybe that would be one of them thar "spoilers" folks keep talkin' about. Anyways, if you haven't seen it...GO...it's more fun than should be allowed.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

• Minion

I could have sworn I posted my thoughts on this in this thread, but now I don't see them...very odd.

I loved it. Great humor, action, visuals. I want to see it again...soon.

Top favorites:

The story- (contains spoilers) in the begining in that outpost in new mexico from thor nick fury and the man scientist from thor are in the room of the teleporter that can take things and people in to worlds loki arrives and he has this staff that can kill a person with a stab in the torso can and loki can make a person his slave.
    I am not going to reveal the rest of the movie beyond until the funny parts.
    The vengance of loki- why loki wants to take over the world is not because he wants to be king but his brother Thor is the reason he fell in space at the end.
    I'm not going to reveal more about the rivalry.
    The funny moments- in the movie a lot of laughs are in it and the funnest parts are in the mantattian battle part one part the hulk and thor stop a eel creature and then hulk punches Thor, and when loki and hulk battle hulk grabs loki andsmashes him repeditily on the floor that stark is in the begining in newyork with pepper and hulk talks!? thats rigt he talks and say's "Puny god in the thing.
    cons: to mucxh funny moments, the enemy, and basicly the creatures.
    I'm working as i'm with my autobots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast