• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

ABC orders Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D. series pilot from Joss Whedon

ABC-TV yesterday ordered a S.H.I.E.L.D. pilot from 'Avengers' co-writer/director Joss Whedon. It is expected to be of the same Marvel universe depicted in the film and production is expected to begin in the very near future. Whedon, the creator of beloved cult TV series such as 'Firefly' and 'Dollhouse' and 'Buffy The Vampire Slayer' and 'Angel', is rumored to direct the pilot himself. Casting announcements should follow soon.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Quality not quantity

Re: ABC orders Marvel S.H.I.E.L.D. series pilot from Joss Whedon

If nothing else I'll be interested to see how Whedon defuses some of the obvious landmines that lay in his path on this one.....

How can you separate this from the Avengers/Iron Man/Captain America/Thor/Hulk movies? Different actors will need to play the same roles.

The effects/sets won't be able to match what we've in the feature films.

etc...
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."

-Mark Twain

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Joss Whedon had also said at a WGA event on Tuesday that the series will be largely autonomous from the film's sequel and will revolve around the activities of the S.H.I.E.L.D. espionage organization seen in 'The Avengers'.

Jed Whedon, Joss' brother, and his wife Maurissa Tancharoen (co-writers of 'The Avengers') will be the series' showrunners but that he'd "show up now and again to take credit for everything."
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Moonliner View Post
    If nothing else I'll be interested to see how Whedon defuses some of the obvious landmines that lay in his path on this one.....

How can you separate this from the Avengers/Iron Man/Captain America/Thor/Hulk movies? Different actors will need to play the same roles.

The effects/sets won't be able to match what we've in the feature films.

etc...
    To be fair, it was The Avengers that was outside of Whedon's normal fair. I suspect dialog driven fantasy with minor special effects is right in Whedon's wheelhouse.

For some some great trip reports, features and reviews, please check out http://www.thedisneylandreport.com.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

UPDATE

Joss Whedon’s upcoming Avengers spin-off TV series focuses on the Marvel universe’s dominant superspy operation S.H.I.E.L.D. Appropriately, the show has been shrouded in secrecy, barring the occasional promise from Whedon that the show would run alongside Marvel’s cinematic universe but with less of a superhero focus.

But earlier today at New York Comic-Con, Marvel officially announced that a member of the Avengers cast would be making an appearance on the show…despite the fact that, well, the character didn’t seem to have much of a future after Avengers. Clark Gregg’s Agent Phil Coulson appeared to die in the movie — oh, spoiler alert, blah blah, it’s the third highest-grossing movie ever — but rumors have persisted that Coulson would reappear in some form.

The Marvel TV panel at NYCC made the news official. Gregg appeared onstage, nominally to talk about his role on the animated series Ultimate Spider-Man. But then attendees were treated to a video showing Whedon and Marvel Studios head Kevin Feige, proclaiming that Coulson would return in the series (currently titled Marvel’s S.H.I.E.L.D.) According to Comic Book Resources, Whedon and Feige made it clear that Coulson wouldn’t just be appearing in some kind of flashback/Obi-Wan role: Feige said, “There was never going to be a S.H.I.E.L.D.‘ show without Agent Phil Coulson!” while Whedon added “He’s headlining the S.H.I.E.L.D. show and always was.”

News about Coulson’s return retroactively lessens the impact of the closing act of Avengers — and it also confirms that characters stay dead in Marvel’s onscreen universe about as often as in the comic book universe. (Read: Never.) However, speaking as a longtime Phil Coulson fan, it’s exciting to hear that Gregg will be participating in the S.H.I.E.L.D. project, if only because he’s the rare actor involved in the Marvelverse who genuinely seems to dig comic books. (Not only that: He digs Jim Starlin. Swoon!)
    Agent Phil Coulson will return in Joss Whedon's 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' spin-off | Inside TV | EW.com

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

It was announced today that actress Ming-Na, of 'E.R.' fame and also voiced the titular character of 'Mulan', will join the 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' pilot. She will play Agent Melinda May, "a top-notch pilot, weapons expert and soldier who is described as being soulful but slightly damaged by her time spent in combat."

• Nor Cal AP'er

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    It was announced today that actress Ming-Na, of 'E.R.' fame and also voiced the titular character of 'Mulan', will join the 'S.H.I.E.L.D.' pilot. She will play Agent Melinda May, "a top-notch pilot, weapons expert and soldier who is described as being soulful but slightly damaged by her time spent in combat."

Even more reason too watch this show! Chun LI FTW!
    I am a Annual Pass Holder and I'm better than you! lol!

Sounds cool. I'll watch the first five episodes and give them a chance.
    Everyone is entitled to an informed opinion.
    Harlan Ellison

I may not be the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree, but I do shine.

Texan by birth, Californian by choice.

There should be a sticky thread called "This Day in Disney History." The company has a long history and this would be a good way to acknowledge it. Walt was born 112 years ago; that's quite a chunk of American history and culture.

Quote Originally Posted by Not My Real Name View Post
    Sounds cool. I'll watch the first five episodes and give them a chance.
    Same here....but I am a sucker for Marvel stuff. :P
    For the love of Disney....

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Filming began today on the pilot for the S.H.I.E.L.D. series.

• Team Hail HYDRA

i cant see why they wont make it a show
    they have Marvel films, merchandise and soon to be attractions and tv shows

Go visit my theme park website!!! http://kolbykonnection.com

This IS cool news! I heard somewheres that it COULD be on abc this fall? any truth on that?

I <3 MiceChat.com!!

www.DisneyDigitalFiles.com