Actress Cut From Spider-Man 2 - No Mary Jane For Spidey

I know this particular character & franchise isn't part of the Disney Marvel universe, but it's still a Marvel character anyways so I'm gonna post this piece of news here.

Shailene Woodley's scenes cut from 'Amazing Spider-Man 2' - MSN Movies News

Shailene Woodley's scenes cut from 'Amazing Spider-Man 2'

Although Shailene Woodley shot scenes as Mary Jane Watson for "The Amazing Spider-Man 2," she will not be joining Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone after all, TheWrap has learned.

Director Marc Webb has decided to streamline the story and introduce Mary Jane in "The Amazing Spider-Man 3." However, an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap that Woodley will likely be busy with the sequels to her upcoming sci-fi movie "Divergent" and may not be available, so the role may have to be recast.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, Woodley also confirmed that Peter Parker's red-headed love interest will not be introduced until the next film.

"Of course I'm bummed. But I am a firm believer in everything happening for a specific reason, " Woodley said. "Based on the proposed plot, I completely understand the need for holding off on introducing [Mary Jane] until the next film."

The plot is certainly filled to the brim with characters and conflicts taken directly from the "Spider-Man" comic books. Not only is Emma Stone still playing a major role as Parker's high school sweetheart, Gwen Stacey, but Jamie Foxx is playing shocking villain Electro, Paul Giamatti is charging through the film as The Rhino, Chris Cooper will be flying around as the Green Goblin, and Dane DeHaan joins the franchise as Parker's buddy, and future Green Goblin, Harry Osborn.
    Okay, hold on a second. I already knew that Foxx was going to play the villain Electro in the film, but its also going to have Giamatti as Rhino AND Chris Cooper as the Goblin? WOW! This will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Heavy Breather

Re: Actress Cut From Spider-Man 2 - No Mary Jane For Spidey

I'm kinda glad she's not in it.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Kirsten Dunst, Shailene Woodley

Shailene Woodley is obviously too divergent to appear in something as multifaceted as a fun-filled super hero Spidey drama. Now that this has been established, I propose that Tobie McGuire and Kirsten Dunst re-assume their original movie roles and kick some villainous duff. Whiever it is that cut replaced them should be replaced in turn.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 06-20-2013 at 06:43 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Shailene Woodley reacts to being cut from the MJ role.... (Not sure if this the same story as I posted earlier or not. If it is, my apologies. It looked different, besides the fact that its on a different site. I tried Yahoo originally last night but couldn't get past an intrusive movie ad.)

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    Shailene Woodley reacts to being cut from the MJ role.... (Not sure if this the same story as I posted earlier or not. If it is, my apologies. It looked different, besides the fact that its on a different site. I tried Yahoo originally last night but couldn't get past an intrusive movie ad.)

I love Spiderman films, and what is happening as the making of them develops. This is an interesting thread. I like the first MJ better, but the second is a great actress too.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

"You found my weakness. Small knives. Anything but knives!"

Another actress has been cast, but not as Mary Jane. Well, its definitely not Gwen Stacy either, so I'm thinking Felicia Hardy, or Debra Whitman.

Spider-Man 2: Sarah Gadon Is In, But Not As Mary Jane

Days after it was announced Shailene Woodley's scenes as Mary Jane Watson had been cut from "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" - with multiple outlets reporting the role would be recast completely - actress Sarah Gadon signed on to join the Marc Webb-directed film.

Rumors ran rampant claiming the "Cosmopolis" beauty had been hired as Shailene's replacement, but Sarah took to Twitter to clear up the confusion.

"To all those a twitter, I will not be playing MJ in Spider-Man," Sarah Tweeted late Friday. "I have a role in the film, but it is not that one ."

As previously reported on AccessHollywood.com , on Wednesday, Marc Webb issued a statement announcing Shailene would not be seen in the next Spider-Man installment as he had decided to bump MJ's introduction to the third film.

"The Amazing Spider-Man 2," which is currently filming in New York City, is slated for theatrical release on May 2, 2014.

The third and fourth installments will hit theaters on June 10, 2016 and May 4, 2018, respectively.

• Circle of Ancients

Quite interesting because some production stills from the movie showed Gwen Stacy wearing a VERY iconic outfit that any fan of the comics would recognize. This picture would have greatly supported that Mary Jane was coming into play.

I wonder if they'll just re-shoot that stuff with a different Mary Jane because something obviously wasn't working?