Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Disney Buys Paramount's Rights To Marvel Films

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    While there is no expiration, there are other contractual factors that could force the deal to terminate with the theme park rights reverting back to Disney.
    As much of a fan of Disney that I am, I would kinda feel bad for Universal and their IoA because that would take out at least half, a sizable chunk of their attractions out of that one park.
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by stitchfanocala View Post
    As much of a fan of Disney that I am, I would kinda feel bad for Universal and their IoA because that would take out at least half, a sizable chunk of their attractions out of that one park.
    What I can find online pretty much has Uni locked in on *what they currently have and the level it is at in the parks* solidly for as long as they care. They are not allowed to expand on what the characters they have currently do (i.e., if they're on a ride but not a walkaround Uni does not have the ability to legally add the walkaround), but every reference I can find makes it seem like the licensing is very strict but very clear.

Uni's got a lot of experience dealing with persnickety rightsholders. I mean, WWHOP.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    While there is no expiration, there are other contractual factors that could force the deal to terminate with the theme park rights reverting back to Disney.
    Like what? The style guide and maintenance clauses have already been adhered to for well over a decade.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I hope Boglurch can expand on this, too.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Like what? The style guide and maintenance clauses
    These would be examples.

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    have already been adhered to for well over a decade.
    Wow… this does not mean that they will always be adhered to. Should the upkeep of the rides lax, Disney can go after Universal for a breach of the agreement.
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• WDI Future Show Writer

“Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.”

How about Fox's films? Like X-Men. Will Disney ever have rights to those?
    Kathy Mangum: "If you show that you want to try, people will want to work with you" #D23Expo

Joe Rodhe: To be an Imagineer, "you have to be the kind of person who wants to share." #D23Expo

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wdifuture89 View Post
    How about Fox's films? Like X-Men. Will Disney ever have rights to those?
    At the present time Fox has refused to discuss the matter with Disney. They will continue to produce films every so many years to retain the rights as per their contracts.

Spider-Man is Sony's to give up. They renegotiated and, unlike Fox, no longer need to produce a film every so many years. In exchange, starting with last year's The Amazing Spider-Man, Disney owns the merchandise rights to the Spider-Man films made by Sony.

• WDI Future Show Writer

Thanks! Stingy Fox. I would be interested to see X-Men attractions. Or any kind of attractions.
    Kathy Mangum: "If you show that you want to try, people will want to work with you" #D23Expo

Joe Rodhe: To be an Imagineer, "you have to be the kind of person who wants to share." #D23Expo

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wdifuture89 View Post
    Thanks! Stingy Fox. I would be interested to see X-Men attractions. Or any kind of attractions.
    While there would likely be issues in using the specific film designs, I do not know of anything outside of the deal with Universal that would legally prevent an X-Men attraction. Unfortunately in today's Disney themed entertainment is a lesser medium and therefore the chances of any attraction outside an existing franchise is incredibly slim.

• WDI Future Show Writer

Bummer! Aren't Disney lawyers supposed to be all powerful?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12