Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: Lilly Belle Model Train Set - Event Apr 21

That's exactly what I was asking about. Thanks for the number, I always loose it. I was told the Disney Gallery is sold out, but expects a new shipment the first week of May.

Quote Originally Posted by XSub-Captain View Post
    Another reason to buy this is there will soon be available HO Scale Disneyland Attraction Buildings and Rides. The first four releases will be Main Street Station, Haunted Mansion, Mad Tea Party and Sleeping Beauty Castle. These will be available this Fall or Early next year! They are being manufactured by Faller in Germany and will be plastic unassembled model kits. The prices will be around $75 to $125 and they will be exact scale models of the real buildings. How do I know this, I am in the final stages of getting the license from Disney Consumer Products to produce these.
    This is BIG news! I've been waiting for good scale DL buildings for almost 30 years since I scratch-built my first HO scale theme park!

Now if we could also get Dept 56 or Lemax to make 'em in ceramic O scale!

Cheers,

• Santa Barbara, CA

Now were talkin.. and they better be good.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Closed Account

I'm curious as to how these proposed kits will fare.

I'd like to see a DL Main Street Station like the Walt Disney World Station kit offered a few years ago. The WDW kit was considerably closer to O scale than its advertised HO scale, and was a huge seller. It's currently commanding big bucks on the secondary market.

I don't want to be a gloomy gus, but Faller's $75 - $125 price seems exceedingly high, considering the WDW Main Street Station sold for maybe $30, if that--and included a sound module.

The WDW Main Street Station was a snap-together kit, whereas I bet the Faller kits will require glue and some kit building experience--although I'm sure the parts will be molded in appropriate colors.

Anyway, put me down for a kit closer to O scale if it ever comes out. This might make even more sense, because so many folks use the Lemax/Department 56 structures, which are close to O scale, and many use the Bachmann On30 trainsets at Christmas time.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 04-30-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Steve,

Your comments are very thoughtful! While I would like lower price points, like many toy train/model RR enthusiasts, just having actual scale models of MK structures is very exciting. My "theme park" layout uses the D56/Lemax building, Mr. Christmas carnival rides, and Lionel/MTH O scale trains. Big projects this year include mods to the fiber optic fireworks array and hopefully adding dancing fountains with music control for a true Fantasmic/Illuminations type of show.

Cheers,
    Don

• Closed Account

Don, if anything, I can use the HO Main Street Station as a half-scale pattern for a scratch-built larger version!

As for the price, I know there are model railroaders who would pay this. What I'm wondering is if the models will sell to the general Disney public--99% of whom are not model railroaders.

I mean, on the one hand you've got the Lilly Belle train set--ready-to-run, beautifully painted locomotive, cars, track, power pack--selling for what a single unbuilt structure might cost? If you were just a Disney collector and saw both side-by-side in the store, which would you buy?

Still, I would like to know how WDW can get a nice model of their station at a fraction of what a smaller, more labor-intensive Disneyland version will cost.

• Santa Barbara, CA

So.. are the Walt Disney Railroad sets (unsigned) limited and still for sale at the parks?
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

It was not a limited edition, but Disney has sold out. There should be more coming soon.

• Walt A Head Of His Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Don, if anything, I can use the HO Main Street Station as a half-scale pattern for a scratch-built larger version!

As for the price, I know there are model railroaders who would pay this. What I'm wondering is if the models will sell to the general Disney public--99% of whom are not model railroaders.

I mean, on the one hand you've got the Lilly Belle train set--ready-to-run, beautifully painted locomotive, cars, track, power pack--selling for what a single unbuilt structure might cost? If you were just a Disney collector and saw both side-by-side in the store, which would you buy?

Still, I would like to know how WDW can get a nice model of their station at a fraction of what a smaller, more labor-intensive Disneyland version will cost.

Well there are two reasons that these sets will be more than the WDW Station.

First, they are made in Germany, not China. That is probably the biggest reason these kits will sell for more. The WDW kit were not HO scale and were not complete kits, the did not have the platform roofs and were more of a kids toy. The Faller kits will be exact down to the smallest detail.

Second, the Faller kit will come with the Berm, the Mickey Flowers, all fences, both entrance tunnels, the complete backside (Main Street Side) and the landscaping materials and lighting include fiber optics for the building. These kits will allow you to make an exact replica of what is at Disneyland. There is a lot more to these kits than just a building. However, just the building will be available at a much lower price.

Also, we are really hoping that these kits will have an interest outside of Model Railroaders, if not, these initial kits will be all that is made.

The other models, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Haunted Mansion and Mad Tea Party, will be equally as detailed. With the Mad Tea Party, it will be motorized and fully operational and the trees will be the exact shape as in the park. So these models cannot really be compared to anything in the past, it will be a new animal all together.

Also, N, Z and ON30 scales are also on the drawing board depending on how these HO sets go.

• Closed Account

That sounds great, and I look forward to seeing them.

You're right--the WDW station was not a detail-for-detail rendition. Much "gingerbread" was left off, and the windows were molded with the shades partially down.

Actually, the models did feature station platforms. They were short, but the model itself is still quite imposing.

Still, overall, the model captures the WDW Main Street Station beautifully. If I wanted to, I could add the missing gingerbread trim without too much trouble.

Now, you mention "On30 scale"--This IS good news. Of course, On30 isn't a "scale" at all. It's a gauge. But that letter "O" in the term does signify O scale--my prefered size, and the model would be about the size of the WDW station.

It would be in scale with Bachmann On30 trains as well as Lionel-sized trains. They're both the same scale, even though the Bachmann trains are smaller (those who went to the Fullerton event know that the large Santa Fe 3751 steamer on disply is the same "scale" as a typical narrow gauge 4-4-0 like the C.K. Holliday nearby--but one is MUCH larger than the other!)

If you make the station in O scale, THAT I will surely buy!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 05-07-2007 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    That sounds great, and I look forward to seeing them.

You're right--the WDW station was not a detail-for-detail rendition. Much "gingerbread" was left off, and the windows were molded with the shades partially down.

Actually, the models did feature station platforms. They were short, but the model itself is still quite imposing.

Still, overall, the model captures the WDW Main Street Station beautifully. If I wanted to, I could add the missing gingerbread trim without too much trouble.

Now, you mention "On30 scale"--This IS good news. Of course, On30 isn't a "scale" at all. It's a gauge. But that letter "O" in the term does signify O scale--my prefered size, and the model would be about the size of the WDW station.

It would be in scale with Bachmann On30 trains as well as Lionel-sized trains. They're both the same scale, even though the Bachmann trains are smaller (those who went to the Fullerton event know that the large Santa Fe 3751 steamer on disply is the same "scale" as a typical narrow gauge 4-4-0 like the C.K. Holliday nearby--but one is MUCH larger than the other!)

If you make the station in O scale, THAT I will surely buy!

Amen, brother! Even in HO scale, I will likely purchase at least the castle, teacups, and HM. I don't really have room on my layout for a major station in any scale!

Cheers,

Don

Will they have Jack Wagner announcing train arrivals at the station, and Thurl Ravenscroft singing "Grim Grinning Ghosts" in the mansion? I wonder if they will paint the mansion in the stately original off-white, or that lousy ectoplasmic green that they have it now? I think it was changed in the Paul Pressler era.
    "They's two B's in basketball!"

the family and I were in the shop on the east side of Main Street just north of the Theature In The Round last night and there was one set behind the counter

Personally, I want the N Scale set.

It was mentioned earlier that $150 is not bad for HO scale trains, but this is Bachmann, not a high quality train, and about twice what it is really worth.

If you cant\'t get them at The Magic Kingdom....here you go...
    http://www.trainsetsonly.com/page/TS...chmann/160-675

• More Than Meets The Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by XSub-Captain View Post
    Well there are two reasons that these sets will be more than the WDW Station.

First, they are made in Germany, not China. That is probably the biggest reason these kits will sell for more. The WDW kit were not HO scale and were not complete kits, the did not have the platform roofs and were more of a kids toy. The Faller kits will be exact down to the smallest detail.

Second, the Faller kit will come with the Berm, the Mickey Flowers, all fences, both entrance tunnels, the complete backside (Main Street Side) and the landscaping materials and lighting include fiber optics for the building. These kits will allow you to make an exact replica of what is at Disneyland. There is a lot more to these kits than just a building. However, just the building will be available at a much lower price.

Also, we are really hoping that these kits will have an interest outside of Model Railroaders, if not, these initial kits will be all that is made.

The other models, Sleeping Beauty Castle, Haunted Mansion and Mad Tea Party, will be equally as detailed. With the Mad Tea Party, it will be motorized and fully operational and the trees will be the exact shape as in the park. So these models cannot really be compared to anything in the past, it will be a new animal all together.

Also, N, Z and ON30 scales are also on the drawing board depending on how these HO sets go.
    Any more updates, progress pics or prototypes to show?
    Disneyland is the right of all sentient beings.

• Head Salesman

I'd definitely buy a kit or two, and I don't even have the patience to put a model together.

Have you seen some of Faller's models? Their amusement park rides are awesome, and I was absolutely flabbergasted by their car system!
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast