Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Me and Tommy Kirk

Re: The Next DL Special Event: Dream, Imagine, Create - The Art of Disney Parks Event

My friend David Bird is showing his stained glass art. That's definitely worth a look and he's a great guy. Check it out!

Re: The Next DL Special Event: Dream, Imagine, Create - The Art of Disney Parks Event

I was going to go on Saturday, but something came up.

The stuff they're selling is so cool! I want to buy it all (with the money that I don't and will never have, that is).
    Everybody’s got a laughing place. Trouble is, most folks won’t take the time to go look for it. And where it is for one, it mightn’t be for another. ~ Splash Mountain

• Sock Puppet

Is this a for-profit sale or a charity thing?

I don't judge anybody else for wanting to buy stuff that was installed in the park, that's perfectly fine, but it's just not something I'm into unless the money was going to a charitable cause. Otherwise, I think the items should be in a museum somewhere for everyone to enjoy.

I've always wondered why there isn't a huge Disney museum in Anaheim. Something like the Disney Gallery but on a grand scale. These sales seem very tacky, like a garage sale or "going out of business" sale.

• Prefect

Blog Entries

OK, I didn't go to the auction, but went to the Dream Sale yesterday. I saw Master Gracey & Peoplemover1 in line. Most of the good stuff was gone, just as I had figured. The people who bought the auction packages were let in earlier and got first dibs.

Most of the items left were things that were used as props and/or window dressing and were not "Disney." Unfortunately the bulk of the items were not tagged to let you know where they were displayed, so it was kind of like a big antique flea market. There were a lot of vinyl banners, MANY chairs, lots of bric-a-brac, plant pots & stands, rolls of fabric, frames from the 50th collages, neon signs from Paradise Pier, a prop from Small World Holiday, etc. Any "Disney" stuff left was truly humongous & needed to be picked up in a U-Haul.

I left spending only $20. I got a two-sided vinyl banner with Disney Cruise Line on one side & a 50th logo on the other side. I also got a large glass jar that I'm going to say was on display in the Candy Palace (because it wasn't labled who's to say it wasn't? ).

My hidden 50 I wanted looked like it went for only $200, but I just couldn't afford to go the auction this time around.
    <o>

OK - so we bid on a number of items - won 3:

Mark Twain 50 and (solid) banner
    Haunted Mansion spider-web 50
    Couple of Pods from Space Mountain

I bid on a number of other 50 icons but the prices went through the roof. The spotter kept coming up and kicking my chair to get me to bid more - but I stuck to my budget. In hindsight, I could have gone over my $2000 limit for a peoplemover car (they went for $2400) and not gotten a divorce, but who knew at the time where the prices were going.....

Dream Sale:

We were at the 9:30am entry time, and most of the 50 icons were gone - including all of the solid (resin or wood) ones - they went to the group who shelled out the big bucks for the event - oh well.

I got a nice foam core 50, a parking lot sign, some banners and 4 cool black chairs with the Mickey icon cut into the back. Nothing more than $50 (chairs were $25, parking sign $10) - relative bargain vs. the auction!

• Hangin Around

I won a People Mover at the auction. I bought the Autopia car, round sofa, two benches, the rope stands and a few signs at the sale.

• Small Worlds of Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Skywaygrl View Post
    I won a People Mover at the auction. I bought the Autopia car, round sofa, two benches, the rope stands and a few signs at the sale.
    Congratulations! May I ask how much the peoplemover car went for? Did you have to out up much of a fight for it?

Here's the lamp that I got:

This is the antique brass electric version of this lamp:

But I think it may have had a frosted chimney like this lamp:

All their lamps are hand made and extremely high in quality. Theymust be a supplier for DL since many of the lamps in their catalogue look very familiar. If anyone has spotted others like this one around the park, please let me know.

http://www.heritagelanterns.com/index.htm

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by aandjw View Post
    and 4 cool black chairs with the Mickey icon cut into the back. Nothing more than $50 (chairs were $25, parking sign $10) - relative bargain vs. the auction!
    I got the rest of the chairs! Thanks for leaving a set of six

They had a LOT of random "prop" chairs there, but these were the only ones that had Mickey/Disney specific references on them. They had to have been custom made. I was discussing them with several CM's afterwards, and the consensus was that they were from Yamabuki (the japanese restaurant in the PP Hotel) from before their recent renovation. It was my initial guess because of the black "lacquer" type finish and japanese style bamboo print on the upholstry. I'm only sorry I never made it to Yamabuki before to have seen them. I think they were an awesome deal, even though they need to be refinished. They will look spectacular when restored!
    --Jonathan

• Padawan

L.A.-- But I'd rather be on Brokeback Mountain

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F
    Congratulations! May I ask how much the peoplemover car went for? Did you have to out up much of a fight for it?
    According to a previous post:
    Quote Originally Posted by aandjw
    In hindsight, I could have gone over my $2000 limit for a peoplemover car (they went for $2400) and not gotten a divorce, but who knew at the time where the prices were going.....
    ... and I can verify that this info is accurate.
    --Jonathan

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by Skywaygrl View Post
    Look Katrina, if you need a place to store the PM car, or the Autopia car, or your skyway bucket, you can drop them at my house... or I'll work out a year-at-a-time trade with you on some sub props!

Congrats are in order here.

Let's open a museum!!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Hangin Around

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama View Post
    Look Katrina, if you need a place to store the PM car, or the Autopia car, or your skyway bucket, you can drop them at my house... or I'll work out a year-at-a-time trade with you on some sub props!

Congrats are in order here.

Let's open a museum!!
    If I ever need a place to store my children you will be the first person I call.

• is too darn hot.

You got pics of your new acquisitions?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Hangin Around

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    You got pics of your new acquisitions?
    I will post them soon.

Wink Re: The Next DL Special Event: Dream, Imagine, Create - The Art of Disney Parks Event

Quote Originally Posted by DOOM BGI View Post
    According to a previous post:

... and I can verify that this info is accurate.

Which part - the cost of the peoplemover or that I didn't get divorced over my purchases?

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

As others have said, most of the "good stuff" was sold to the
    28 people who purchase one of the Hotel Dream packages.
    They were able to get into the sale at 8am. The next Package
    was able to get into the sale at 9:30am, and very little of
    Disney 50th items were left.

However, I was able to score a long 50th Banner, a small Oogie Boogie
    in a Doom Buggy, a Radio Broadcast Booth Sign from the 50th (there were
    several of these with a beautiful artwork of the Castle and Tink, but was
    rather bulky) a HM print on heavy duty paper of the grave sitting widow
    stretch portrait, And the BEST thing I purchased were about a dozen of
    the "Crown Jewels"!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast