Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567

• I love Disney

Re: Imagineering the Magic DVD release and signing

How can I purchase this online. Just the dvd.
    Come join me and my co-hosts to learn all the latest news about the amusement park industry and disney LIVE! every Tuesday at 7:30 est time on http://amusementradio.com/
    or listen to all are shows at http://www.coastineastpodcast.com/
    Remember to Sit Down, Strap In, and Coast On

Hi Mark: Hope you get to read this. I Haven't seen the DVD yet but I have ordered it. I always find it refreshing when somebody who produces something responds kindly to what is often nasty criticism. There is so much that I would like to see but the problem with that is it would involve divulsion of "trade Secrets." Particularly for me it would be A.A. figures. Seeing the naked A.A. Lincoln at the Oakland Museum was absolutely fascinating to me. Not because I want to copy it, but because I'm interested in Lincoln and the Civil War. Anyway, Disney would never officially sanction anything that involves trade secrets LOL. As for real behind the scenes stuff, that is available if one knows where to look for it. For example, bootleg video of Tony Baxter on a walk through of the WDW Haunted Mansion is available. The footage from the TV station previously mentioned walking through POTC has been around online for several years.
    Anyway, thanks for this DVD. I'm sure I will enjoy it, even if I have probably already heard the stories elsewhere.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by wec View Post
    Hi Mark: Hope you get to read this. I Haven't seen the DVD yet but I have ordered it. I always find it refreshing when somebody who produces something responds kindly to what is often nasty criticism. There is so much that I would like to see but the problem with that is it would involve divulsion of "trade Secrets." Particularly for me it would be A.A. figures. Seeing the naked A.A. Lincoln at the Oakland Museum was absolutely fascinating to me. Not because I want to copy it, but because I'm interested in Lincoln and the Civil War. Anyway, Disney would never officially sanction anything that involves trade secrets LOL. As for real behind the scenes stuff, that is available if one knows where to look for it. For example, bootleg video of Tony Baxter on a walk through of the WDW Haunted Mansion is available. The footage from the TV station previously mentioned walking through POTC has been around online for several years.
    Anyway, thanks for this DVD. I'm sure I will enjoy it, even if I have probably already heard the stories elsewhere.
    Bootlegs shouldn't be the only option fans have.

Disney could make a lot of money for a well-produced, truly behind-the-scenes production.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• The one, the only...

I believe that "behind-the-scenes" stories and technical information is also interesting to the general public. That is why this DVD really did not do its job. If it aimed the casual Disney guest, then they too enjoy more technical information.

Over and over again, I have seen Disney sanctioned shows on the Travel Channel of WDW that ALWAYS promote "behind-the-scenes" information about how attractions were designed, built, and maintained.

I think that if they did a really technical, behind-the-scenes look at Animatronic design and creation, attraction selection and architecture, and attraction maintenance and function it would be popular with Disney geeks and even a large segment of the general Disney audience.

There is more of a market for this than the marketing department realizes.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Senior Minion

I have a very good friend who was the chief purchasing manager for Disneyland for many many years. The stories he has, and just the overall enormity of the planning and execution required to make "the show" happen, every day, without any major hitches, is simply amazing. In many ways, the entire resort is like a finely constructed swiss watch.

I understand the balance on these products between aiming something for the "general public" and feeding the insatiable greed and blood lust of us Disneyphiles. Hopefully, as time goes on, we'll see a lot more of these, and a lot more of all that long-ago footage.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Anybody that ordered online actually receive this DVD yet? I ordered mine back on April 7th and it still has not got here yet.....
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Nuts about Disneyland

^I ordered mine online on April 4th and still waiting.

• Still lost in Neverland

I ordered mine on the Thursday before the event. They do say it takes up to 10 days to ship. It arrived this past Tuesday by UPS. I guess it depends on where you live as it's shipped from Disneyland. I live in Van Nuys, CA and that is about 40 miles South. I haven't watched it yet, have about 100 DVD's in front of it that need watching first.
    Peter Pan Forever!!! I Will Never Grow Up.

Thank You Poisonedapples

It's complete trash.

Just wanted to write a short review on the new DVD Disneyland Resort -- Imagineering the Magic and the review ain't good.

This DVD became available to purchase online on the 2nd of April and after reading the press release on it (http://psc.disney.go.com/eventservices/ ... lease.html)I was very willing to shell over the $25 ($28 with shipping and handling.) Prior to buying Disneyland Resort -- Imagineering the Magic I had bought Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic and I really enjoyed that DVD and felt that my money was well spent.

It was my hope that this newest Disneyland release would offer up more interesting stories about my favorite place on earth and that it would complement the D,SS&M DVD realsed by Walt Disney Treasures.

I got my new DVD today (20 days after making the purchase) via UPS and my daughter and I sat to watch it and we were very excited to do so.

I have to say that we were both very disappointed. I heard the same stories in DR-IM as I did in the D-S, S&M (less even) and I didn't learn one new thing.

It seems like this DVD was thrown together by a high school video class and, sadly, seems to be more like one of those free DVD's that the Disney Co. sends out to recruit new guests than anything else (in fact I enjoyed some of those free DVD's more than this mess.)

Maybe I expected too much. Maybe I thought that since this DVD seemed so exclusive -- you can't buy it on Amazon or the likes as far as know, but rather only at the above link -- that this DVD would treat me to a world of new footage, thoughts and history on Disneyland.

It didn't. This DVD really failed -- in every aspect -- when compared to Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic.

I kind of feel duped and if I could send this new DVD back I would (in a heart beat.) The makers of Disneyland Resort -- Imagineering the Magic seemed to copy the Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic format, but came nowhere near the product value provided in the later.

One such instance of falling short comes in the form of the trivia feature. For the Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & MagicDVD, the trivia is very challenging (with two different levels ) the game board is brilliant (you use your DVD controller to navigate the park and get to the questions) and the rewards were pretty neat (after completion of the park the prize for answering them all correctly was a large variety of rides/attractions to chose from and selecting one would open a mini-movie.)

The trivia feature on Disneyland Resort -- Imagineering the Magic is, in a word, lame. The questions are simple (taken directly from the DVD chapters) and the design is putrid (a costumed Mickey displaying the questions.)

If you already own the Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic don't waste your time with this new DVD, it's a real waste of time and money. If you don't own Disneyland - Secrets, Stories & Magic and you are trying to decide which to purchase between the two DVD's, I think my advice is evident.

Disney fell way short with this DVD and I would have been disappointed with it if it had been free. Unfortunately, I dished out some hard earned loot for something I will never watch again.

Such is Life,

Mark in Montana.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Just got mine in today. It's ok not great but I wanted to know if anyone caught Mr Fisher calling Hollywood Pictures Backlot "Walt Disney Pictures Backlot"??
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Disneyland PAP

Wow, I just found this thread after I bought my DVD. I haven't opened it yet, and since I think the Disneyland: Secrets... DVD is a whole lot of fun, methinks I'll be returning this one back to the park on my next visit. Thanks, all, including Mark who's letter I read and am also grateful for.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567