Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• ...my first visit to DL

Re: 7/17: Disneyland, U.S.A.

Quote Originally Posted by burdenx View Post
    I watched in on an HD tv, however it wasn't on an upconverting DVD player. I'll have a special anniversary viewing today on my PS3 and see how it looks in 1080p.
    Definitely!! You must up-convert!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • is in Antarctica

Could someone do a nice splice of the panorama from 1956 to today? So that it blends well and we can see the evolution of the main gate?
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dlandjimmy View Post
    I wonder if fans of the park in the 70's and 80's got as upset as we fanboys do about recent changes/upgrades.
    We didn't. As a rabid Park fan at that time, I can tell you that when something new was announced for Disneyland, the buzz was of excitement and eager anticipation. From the 60's through the mid-80's, the world-wide public was conditioned by a series of smash hits that knocked everyone's socks off -- Tiki Room, Lincoln, Pirates, Haunted Mansion and Tomorrowland '67 -- along with entertainment like the Main Street Electrical Parade. Even with the loss of beloved standards like the Indian Village, Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland and the Captain Hook Pirate Ship, the reaction among us pre-internet hard-core geeks when Bear Country, Big Thunder and the new Fantasyland opened was "wow!!!" (The first clunker in a decades-long run of hits was Disney Afternoon Avenue and the Gummi Glen overlay to the Motorboat Cruise -- the first time we started asking, "what are these guys smoking?")
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 07-17-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for the fun shots, Al. I have the DVD, but it's nice to have those as stills.

I recently found out that my mom and dad had their first date at Disneyland some time around 1957. It's fun to see what Disneyland must have been like for them compared to today.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Awesome update! I love seeing vintage Disneyland, but -

Why no hidden commentary in the pictures, Al?

Thanks for the great pix. The one thing that amazes me, and is used very often against new parks, most recently, SeaWorld Orlando's Aquatica is the lack of vegetation. People forget that the Disney parks were pretty barren when they opened also. These photos make my point.

Thanks,
    Mark, and yes, my screen name is true.

• Reaver of Souls

Looking at those pictures, something seemed really odd to me, and I couldn't figure out what it was... It wasn't how different things looked, it wasn't the missing/moved/revised attractions... It wasn't even the amazing openness that the park had then, although that was part of it... Then I realized what it was. No railing. Anywhere. No railings around the castle moat. No railings around the rides. No railings around planters. None. El zippo.

That's sort of a sad commentary on a change in society, in that we used to be a people who would walk the paths, stay out of the water, stay where we were supposed to be, and now we need to be herded like cattle through fenced walkways.

Yes, I know part of that is safety concerns, but that would only explain a small fraction of the railings. When you see pictures like this, you start to realize how intrusive railings really are. Regardless of how decorative you try to make them, they are what they are: fences. Signs that (nicely) say "keep out!". Look around, they are everywhere. It's sad that they need to be there, and the park is so much more welcoming and homey without them...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
    That's sort of a sad commentary on a change in society, in that we used to be a people who would walk the paths, stay out of the water, stay where we were supposed to be, and now we need to be herded like cattle through fenced walkways.
    Well, it depends on what you look at. Most of the Main Street planters had railings in the shots, but outside the established areas didn't. However, it you compare these to shots in the mid '60s, you'll see that the railings are there. I don't think they put them up until it was an issue (which was only about 10 years or so).
    -Monorail Man

•   
    • Ralzap

Now that was Fun.....
    The scale without the tree's is very differant. Frontierland needs to grow back to it's original sprawl.
    thx
    Ralzap

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver View Post
    I know what you mean. I remember in '56 my mom yanking me and my little brother back onto the walkway when we tried to cut across a planter in the mad morning rush to reach Autopia. Today people wield strollers like Urban Assault Vehicles, cut queues like commandos, play Group Shout-A-Long with the HM spiel, and blab on their cell phones all the way through Pirates.

Don't get me wrong, in many ways 50's society sucked. But in many ways, today's sucks worse.

- Neil Gabler

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    and blab on their cell phones all the way through Pirates.
    Where's the Imagineering? Where's the magic? There's a way to block cell phones I think...?

• Animatronic

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    and blab on their cell phones all the way through Pirates.
    I'm more bothered by the flashing LED "souveneers" and the off themed carts that sell them. My last Pirates ride was behind a person with a flashing thing aimed right at my face. I couldn't see a thing the whole ride. I love the general lack of ODV carts in the early photos and LEDs weren't even invented!
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I'm more bothered by the flashing LED "souveneers" and the off themed carts that sell them. My last Pirates ride was behind a person with a flashing thing aimed right at my face. I couldn't see a thing the whole ride. I love the general lack of ODV carts in the early photos and LEDs weren't even invented!
    Sorry, I know where this thread is going, and it's too expensive for me. The last time I tried to post my opinion of the fungus-like spread of ODV carts and their flashing, twirling, blinking hell-spawn, I wound up with a cracked Caps Lock key, a jammed space bar and two sprained fingers -- before I could even click "Submit Reply."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12