Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/22: Once Upon a Time

Kevin tries something new... discuss it here.

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky072208a.htm
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Blog Entries

Re: 7/22: Once Upon a Time

Could it be WDW instead or does it have to be Disneyland. I'm intimately familiar with WDW but as of yet still haven't been able to see Disneyland in person. I'm sure I could make it work since so many things are the same but I'd rather write about something I truly know than something I've only read about and seen pictures and video of.

• Closed Account

Sounds fun, Kevin. I'm looking forward to reading the entries!

• MiceAge Columnist

I agonized over whether WDW should be included, and at this moment, I can't even remember why I decided not to.

So, absent any cogent argument being forwarded from one of my colleagues to the contrary, I hereby say WDW can be included too.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• FastPass n00b

Fiction is really hard to do well, it seems easy but most of the time people just don't have the talent to pull it off correctly and it sounds cheesy. I personally don't have any kind of ability to write fiction, at least not with any interesting depth. The flip-side is that IF someone really can pull off believable fiction, it is MUCH more rewarding and interesting than nonfiction writing. There are definitely *incredibly* talented fiction writers on the Internet, that is no problem or concern. The problem always comes from sorting out the 2% that is worth reading. I am so glad that someone else will be sorting through everything.

If you get something like 1,000 entries, that's still about 20 excellent stories worth reading. I love reading fiction, and I won't have to really do any work with this contest, so I say bring it on. This sounds appealing!

Not being able to include Disney Characters takes a lot of the fun out of it. Star Trek fan-fiction certainly wouldn't exist if they couldn't use Capt. Kirk, etc.

Also, since Disneyland itself could be considered a character... much like the Enterprise... it doesn't make sense to me.

But thats just me.

My other gripe would be the "Triple Happy" clause. What if a person wants to make a ghost story about the Haunted Mansion? Would it not be conceivable that the story might not turn out... happy?

Just thinking aloud. In the end, it is your contest, and you can make it how you like.

Good luck to all.

• Lowering Expectations

Oooh, this is most excellent. I have been waiting for this.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyfilms View Post
    What if a person wants to make a ghost story about the Haunted Mansion? Would it not be conceivable that the story might not turn out... happy?
    Well, then you re-word the sentences. You just have to say "happy end" ... not actually have a happy end. Sample: "Michael knew it was too much to hope for a happy end, but as his final breath slipped out he couldn't help wishing his family would be taken care of."
    Last edited by KevinYee; 07-22-2008 at 10:15 AM.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Oo-de-lally

This sounds like a great idea. I hope that I can come up with a good story.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day

This sounds fun, I've had an idea for a story in a theme park for awhile. Now I have an excuse to write it out .

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    If you get something like 1,000 entries, that's still about 20 excellent stories worth reading. I love reading fiction, and I won't have to really do any work with this contest, so I say bring it on. This sounds appealing!
    I detect a slight flaw in the logic. You forget what happens to *me* if I get 1,000 entries!! There will be no contest and no winner!!!!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Three quick questions for clarification (not to give away my ideas):

Is Walt considered a "real CM," or is he fair game to include in our fiction?

While we can't mention Disney characters (completely understand the copyright issue), are attractions/movies that don't specifically include character names OK to mention (Space Mountain, "101 Dalmatians," etc.)?

And finally, what are the rules on making references to characters/movies/attractions without specifically naming them (i.e. "that movie with the deer," "the pirate ride," etc.)?

• MiceAge Columnist

Very good and tough questions.

I'd say you can include Walt if you are careful with him. I wouldn't say you have to be reverential, but frankly I'll have a hard time publishing anything that puts the company founder in a bad light. The idea is to stay on Disney's good side.

Definitely OK to say attraction names that don't have characters.

Saying something *about* the ride/movie is also very acceptable.

And, just to toe the line all the way, it's probably OK to mention a ride name even if it does have a character *name* in it. Just don't put the character itself there.

Example: Using the place setting of the Alice in Wonderland attraction might be OK. Involving or even mentioning the Alice in Wonderland walkaround character is not OK. To be on the very safest side, consider not using the attraction name, if you can help it.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• MiceChat Moderator
    • I'm back! Sorta...

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Oooh, this is most excellent. I have been waiting for this.

SAME HERE!

Actually, I've been working on several stories about D-Land, but thought myself alone for such a thing. Go figure.

I do have some questions

1. Can you enter more then once?

2. For previous writing competitions I've entered, there is usually a word count, not a page count--so I want to make sure of the 5-15 page count digits.

3. And how do we submit our tales?

I don't mind the triple 'happy' requirements. A serial killer can find his victims in the park, repeatedly and be quite content. See? A horror piece of fiction ready to roll....

Awesomesauce!

Thanks for this.

Peace,
    Roo
    husband, petowner, wordsmith, imagineer, martialist, playwright, traveller, ardent, wit, critic, barista, Taoist, superhero, fortuneteller, reader, fidget, teacher, dreamer, author, blogger, ghosthunter, voter, patient, bear, gourmand, Floridian, friend

• MiceAge Columnist

1. You can enter as many stories as you want; no limit.
    2. Word count limit: I should probably have provided that, too. If we assume 400 or 500 words per page, you can aim for 2,500 words on the low end to 7,500 words on the high end. But remember, you can also have a really short story (1,000 words) or vastly exceed 7,500. But the ideal range is somewhere in the middle as noted.
    3. Submission will be by email to me, though I'll probably set up a different email address for this. Details forthcoming next week.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast