Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8/21: Pinned

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Re: 8/21: Pinned

Very cute article Kevin! I started out like you did, I couldn't understand why I would ever buy pins just to trade, I bought them for my collection and would never entertain the idea of trading for random pins. Then I got a few extra/free pins and discovered just the fun of trading to trade. I don't do it very often, but whenever I see pins to buy cheaply (ebay or a store), I get a few to have in case I see something I like, which, if it doesn't fit in with what I collect, I end up trading again. Sometimes it's just fun to interact with the CM's, and every once in a while I do find something that does fit in with what I collect. What can I say, it's just fun!

•   
    • Super Hero

Kids bring an entirely different perspective to pin trading, don't they? The Boy Wonder buys pins at the outlet store before we go to the parks and trades ONLY for Stitch pins. It was great to watch him start out, right around your son's age, Kevin, and see him confidently approach Cast Members and ask to see their lanyards. The protocol and manners he learned doing the pin trading transactions have helped him be the very polite boy he is today.

The Boy Wonder has a bulletin board covered in black cloth to display all of his collected Stitch pins. How he can remember which ones he already has is a mystery to me.

Kudos to the Cast Members who always seem so delighted to trade with kids and are so patient with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

I looked at this article and decided to write a post before reading it for this simple reason. There are two things that don't interest me in terms of collecting - pins and snow globes. I grew up in the 60's and have possessed, played with and cherished great Disney toys and souvenirs (now collectibles) of that era and later. Maybe I'm a collectible snob, but pins and snow globes just don't do it for me. They're kind of like beanie babies, (sorry in advance if I've offended anyone out there). I don't blame Disney for trying to explore every revenue generating avenue, just giving my 2 cents.

Pin trading brought my 4 year old daughter out of her shell. She was a very shy child. Once she saw me pin trading and the pretty pins that CMs were wearing she wanted to do it. We told her she could but with stipulations. She could only trade with CMs and she had to be the one to initiate the conversation.

My daughter decided she would only collect Snow White related pins. On the first day, maybe 2 hours into it, we met a CM who took my daughters hand and walked her up and down Main Street helping her complete her collection. When she was missing just one pin, the CM took our address and said that they would mail the remaining pin. Two weeks later, the pin arrived.

Seven years have passed and we still correspond with the CM. We made a lifetime friend by simply trading pins. Every trip (twice a year) we visit with them. We send school pictures and home movies to them. We've been invited to their home to meet their family. They consider us and we them, members of our extended family. It hard for me to put into words what this CM means to our family. All because of a $6 pin.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykin Kid View Post
    Maybe I'm a collectible snob, but pins and snow globes just don't do it for me. They're kind of like beanie babies, (sorry in advance if I've offended anyone out there). I don't blame Disney for trying to explore every revenue generating avenue, just giving my 2 cents.
    Just because your opinions differ doesn't mean you're a collectible snob. There's a lot of things that I don't collect, bu tI don't think I'm a snob because I don't look down on the people that do collect them. This is what makes MC a great place....everyone has a different opinion and doesn't make anyone right or wrong, just different

I'm sure some of your cherished souvenirs from the 60's won't do it for me either.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

I remember that pin collecting/trading reached a fever pitch here in LA during the 1984 Olympics. Pin trading started, I believe, since some of the pins were not for sale. They were given to athletes, organizers, sponsors, etc. and used for promotions. So you had to trade to get these "rare" ones. Also, I seem to recall that a Disney artist designed the "Sam the Eagle" mascot for the Olympics. I have quite a few of the pins from this era and sadly there are worth just about nothing today.

• Infinitized!

Whenever someone talks about pin trading they always make it sound lke it started with Disney. It's been going on for years like at the Olympics where its considered an unofficial sport. Just think of the pin trading that's going on right now in Beijing.

When I went to Disneyland in 1994 the big craze was Pogs. Now it's pins. I wonder what the next big craze will be?

• The Yodelin' Cowgirl

Blog Entries

I totally relate to this article, way to go Kevin!

In the beginning I was so anti-pin trading. I thought it was lame and that it served no purpose. When I did finally buy a pin or two (I blame Haunted Mansion Holidays and the influx of Nightmare pins) I also held firm to the belief that I bought what I liked so what was the point of actually trading.

Then I started working at WDW and as a CM i was issued a lanyard. I always thought it was funny how some CM's were so gung-ho about them while others loathed them. I thought I'd give it a shot and I'm still glad I did. I generally had the nicer guests but there were the crazy ones too. Two experiences stuck out the most to me. One was with two Japanese girls who were so excited about the pins and the fact that I had the sacred hidden mickey ones that they let me pick which pin of theirs to trade. The second was a woman and her daughter who were glancing at my pins. The little girl got super excited about a Monsters Inc pin but they had none to trade so i just gave them the pin. The mom was so happy she had the little girl take a picture with me and the girl gave me a huge hug. Ahh, Disney magic... all over a stupid piece of metal

During my time in WDW I learned the trading system better and actually tried it out a little. Now back on the west coast I carry around traders just in case but I trade maybe once or twice a trip. I'm still a firm believer in buy what you want, but I'm not as anti-trading as I use to be.

Oh... and down with sharks!!!

• Koubu Pilot

I thought Kevin chose a good subject to discuss. You see pins everywhere and happy people with lanyards full of prized pins. I don't think a lot of people understand the feelings experienced by traders and collectors who simply love the pin trading.

I can relate because while I never started with pin trading, I experienced those feelings through collecting Sailor Moon DVDs. I'm not sure which was cheaper, Sailor Moon or pins, but I remember waiting for the DVD releases back when the first 4 seasons were licensed. I would have to wait every other month for each season 3 DVD (and 3 months for each season 4 DVD!) at $29.95 a pop! ($14.95 for the final season 4 release). Moonies rejoiced when the original season was finally released in an 8 disc box set, uncut, and in Japanese. The MSRP was $149.99!! Geh, I wasn't paying that ($99.99 @ Best Buy). The 2nd season also saw a similar release. Then it didn't stop there. There were 3 movies, a Tv special, etc plus a live action remake and 13 years worth of musicals (which had their own supplementary material). But ther was this good feeling behind it all. It was something I loved. I enjoyed it and still enjoy the videos I've collected over the 6 years it took to acquire it all.

I know how pin traders feel. They have passion for their hobby.

"I have quite a few of the pins from this era and sadly there are worth just about nothing today."

That's one of the problems. The hobby shouldn't be about what something is going to be worth. It should be about the fun of obtaining the collection. Having speculators involved in a hobby will eventually be the death of it. Comic books are a good example of speculators killing the enjoyment of a hobby.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by yorkiedad View Post
    Also, I seem to recall that a Disney artist designed the "Sam the Eagle" mascot for the Olympics. I have quite a few of the pins from this era and sadly there are worth just about nothing today.
    I have a complete set, actually. Like I said in the article, I was very much into lapel pins long before Disney. What I *didn't* know before this article is that my wife has a set of Sam Olympics pins too, which she only mentioned because of this thread!!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I only have a couple of pins, none of which I've traded for or anything...most of them I found on ebay and just wanted for myself. The others are from winning a dream lanyard.

I'm afraid to walk around the parks wearing my lanyard, because I'm afraid I'll get harassed to trade away my prized ones. But perhaps I could give it a try and leave my favorites at home?

Anyway, great article! I'll admit I've been skeptical...your article might have opened me up a little.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    I only have a couple of pins, none of which I've traded for or anything...most of them I found on ebay and just wanted for myself. The others are from winning a dream lanyard.

I'm afraid to walk around the parks wearing my lanyard, because I'm afraid I'll get harassed to trade away my prized ones. But perhaps I could give it a try and leave my favorites at home?

Anyway, great article! I'll admit I've been skeptical...your article might have opened me up a little.
    What we do is keep the ones we want to trade in our pockets, and only trade with CMs. That way, no one will be harassing us to trade, and we can trade when we want to.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

Thanks for the great article Kevin!

I shared your experience with my twin boys and spouse. My spouse has never been the Disney fan that I am. However I was able to get her into Pin Trading by buying her a pink (Her choice of color) WDW lanyard at the park and giving her some pins to trade. It was fascinating to see what pins she would choose. She eventually settled on collecting every Grumpy pin she would see. It's interesting to see her eyes light up when a cast member would compliment her on a particular pin. I noticed that when they did this for a pin like Roger Rabbit she would never part with the pin again. Since this had worked with her I grabbed a couple of Mickey lanyards from the Walmart close to Disney World and had my boys give pin trading a go. They enjoyed it and one of my sons started to collect pins of the Disney bus line which the bus drivers sometimes have while my other son simply collects anything that strikes his fancy. Pin trading has been about creating memories for us and it doesn't have to be expensive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12