Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8/21: Pinned

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/21: Pinned

Pin trading through the eyes of a child, discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky082108a.htm
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Bucket List Car

Re: 8/21: Pinned

This was a really fun article to read. Since I am not a local to the parks (last trip to DL was three years ago--but another one is coming next month), I have but two pins. Honestly, I don't think I would trade either of them either. But I do see the excitement in pin trading, thanks to this article.

What a fun hobby. Tell your son to keep up the good work!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Thanks for the article, Kevin. It's interesting to read about pins from another viewpoint. I've tried to stay away from them like the plague - the only collecting do is the squished pennies, and that's enough!

I do want to say something about the sharks, though (I hadn't heard that term before, but it fits!). About a year ago, I was visiting my brother, a merch lead in a DCA shop. Over the 20 minutes or so that we were chatting, 3 different "sharks" came up, inserted themselves between my brother and I, and yelled "TRADE!" about 6 inches from his face. There was some new pin that had just been released and they were all in a frenzy. When my brother politely told them that he didn't have the specialty pin, they would just walk away, no thank you, no sorry to interrupt. Incredibly rude, them sharks!

• Circle of Ancients

Great Article Kevin!!!

Our kids weren't really into pin-trading, or pins until ... we won the Dream Pins at EPCOT last year.

Our dream was to not spend money on Pins, Disney's dream was to make sure we did.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Thanks for the article. My daughter has about 5 pins and a lanyard, but has never traded. She is now 6 and I'm thinking that she may enjoy trading with CM's. I do like the aspects of teaching proper etiquette when interacting with an adult. Kids are usually very quiet or completely squirrelly and this should help them in the long run. Being overly controlling I can see myself trying to keep her from trading certain pins, thus a good lesson for myself as well to keep out of it.

That was a fun article to read. Thank you, Kevin.

We have collected a bunch of pins, mostly bought at the stores, but a few that we've traded for with cast members (well, my wife trades. I look at something else). I am a collector at heart, and I'll collect almost anything. (Packrat? Maybe...) Your article was a great look at another way to do the pin thing. Thanks again.

A few miles from where Disney's America should have been

We had a similar experience with our then-6-year-old daughter last November. We "won" a Dream lanyard and pins at EPCOT, and my daughter quickly came to love pin trading.

The best part really was the CM interaction. They were so kind and generous to her, especially since she was a little nervous about the whole concept at first. Over the course of our week-long stay, many CMs not only traded with her, they gave her some extra pins for good measure. Once she learned about the hidden mickeys, she would be protective of those pins. But otherwise, she gleefully traded anything.

Although I was not a prior fan of pin trading, this was a pretty special Disney experience for us on our last trip.
    "I'm working on changing Hollywood...at the studio that fired me twice."
    --John Lasseter

• Seasick

Fun article.

Such an odd concept for me, just perpetually trading pins and never keeping them.

I wonder what the reaction will be of Kevin's son (and all children) when they start becoming more posessive with their collection, and don't understand why Mommy and Daddy can't just keep providing an endless stream of $10 pins to trade.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Kevin, all these responses just won't be the same without someone chiming in with "I can't believe how stupid this article is why can't you be more positive you should research pins more before you post blah blah blah!!!!"

I'm just sayin' . . .

• MiceAge Columnist

*fighting to restrain a grin at Dan's comment*

The truth is, all my articles mix news, opinion, research, and personal experience in various degrees. I sometimes despair that I'll ever figure out what the online readers want. This article featured just as much research as the "hotels at WDW article", and just as much opinion. At the end of the day, I figure the best I can do is try to match the need out there, and stay responsive to the commentary I receive. Sometimes you hit the target, sometimes you don't.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    Thanks for the article, Kevin. It's interesting to read about pins from another viewpoint. I've tried to stay away from them like the plague - the only collecting do is the squished pennies, and that's enough!
    Just an aside: this is one of those words that I misspell 95% of the time I type it, and I end up saying that I try to avoid something like the plaque. Which may make sense at least to the dental hygienists out there!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• World Traveler

Yeah, I tried to stay away from the pin trading as well, but the moment you get one for "free" you're sucked in. Mind you, I don't have all that many, but I have enough to have warranted buying one of those pin albums.

Good luck with the new collection!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • How do you do?

Blog Entries

Definitely an interesting article. As a relative newbie to pin trading, I have done my fair share of being sucked in and looking daily at websites like pinpics and dizpins, but I agree with the hard concept to swallow of constantly trading pins. I tend to buy pins I like, and then buy some really cheap pins (my wife uses ebay, I use the Disney Store sets when they go on sale). If we buy multiple, and the set is cheap enough, we have a good trading supply (like a set of 8 Snow White and the 7 Dwarves for 14.00), and can find pins we normally wouldn't spend money on, the Cast Member exclusives, as well as retired pins as well. It's great to see a new perspective of it, and I can totally see how CMs trading with kids is such a joy compared to the "sharks" who are merely searching for the most valuable. I tend to pick what I like, not necessarily ones worth a lot or are limited quantities, but ones that have meaning to me. Heck, I've even traded for my fair share of fakes, and I still keep them because I like them. Whichever pin you or your son likes most, that is the valuable one in my [pin] book.
    It's a Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!

My only problem with pin trading at Disney is in one way or another they control all of the inventory. Coming from Little League my whole life, this is where pin trading is truly exciting. Umpires,teams,leagues and all sorts of groups have their own pins made and then trade these to others that have their own unique pin. If you are currently watching the Little League World Series at Williamsport pin trading is a unique experience. Kids and adults are trading with each other and pins are coming from all over the world.

Typically one has 100 to 300 pins made at a cost of $1.00 to $3.00 each. Then one is free to trade their pin to anyone.

At the parks all the pins originate somewhere with Disney, at a premium price.

• Better Butter Battle Vic

Blog Entries

My daughter also loves pin trading, we buy the pins at an outlet before we go, but she always picks ones she loves. There was a Minnie one that hung on a ribbon like a military award and when she traded it for one of the baby princesses pins the CM looked at me first and asked, "Are you sure this is okay?" I only replied it's her collection, and she was completely happy with the trade, so I was good with it too.

She loved the baby princesses so much she hunted them down one by one trading away all her other pins, one of the CM's even pointed out to her the pins have other baby animals next to them from the movies, like Cinderella has baby Bruno next to her, it made my daughter that much more interested in the pins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast