Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/30: I Wann-a Honda

Special Subs Photo Update, Daisy's Ire, Float Troubles, F-I-R-E-Works, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Minion

Excellent report.

The highlight for me?

"Uh-oh, there they go trying to be hip again. Stop it."

Oh no...the addition of the Johnny Depp animatronic figurines...

• Hiding from the Sheeple

Re: 8/30: I Wann-a Honda

I appreciate the update but have to agree that adding Johnny Depp figures (or the character he portrays) to Pirates is not what I would prefer. I am one of those who feel that this is a classic attraction that does not need this form of update. I do agree that from time to time, you replace original elements with new technology, but changing the attraction to fit the movie is just not for me. I have no doubt that the added animatronics will be masterfully built, but I prefer subtle changes every few years to keep the attraction fresh.
    Last edited by Disneynut; 08-30-2005 at 07:17 AM.

Well at least we don't have to deal with with an Eddie Murphy AA

I don't understand the 'issue' with the Daisy? I agree with what was said in the article, but it's been like that for years. Why bring it up now? I don't get what's changed. I've been going to DL since 94 and I don't remember a time where the netting wasn't in place...

Well at least we don't have to deal with with an Eddie Murphy AA
    ...or Jennifer Tilly's head in the crystal ball. Remember that rumour?

Great job, Al! I love those Sub pics! Where were they taken? My guess is somewhere in the caverns, but my friends say that it's more like storage.

I still don't understand why people complain about California Screamin' being closed. I remember my aunt complaining when Sleeping Beauty Castle was under refurbishment. I told her that refurbs have to happen SOME-time, and it's kinda your fault for not planning ahead to find a time in which the castle was open.

I guess it's easy for me to say, because I'm an AP, but still...
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• FastPass n00b

Thank you for the update Al, I always wait patiently for it and then hang on to every word until I'm finished. I mean I literally stop anything and everything that I'm doing to read the column!

The Johnny Depp addition is ridiculous. It will change the entire feel of the ride and make it more of a movie-based ride than original. It's not bad enough that Disney hasn't built a non-movie based ride since 1986, now they have to modify the originals to tie-in with a movie. And what will happen 20-30 years from now. Will people honestly care about a tie-in with the movie. PotC is going to be here a long time and this is a very short-term motivated thing to do. Did anyone really care about the PeopleMover's Tron tunnel in 1995...although, I guess no one really cared about it when it was relevent either.

Shame on Matt Ouimet, his obsession with movie tie-ins (especially Pixar) is really beginning to chafe. There is nothing creatively or artistically motivated behind this, it's simply a marketing ploy to cash in on a successful franchise...just like the current Pixar Push. I absolutely love movies like Pirates of the Carribbean and Finding Nemo, but that doesn't mean I want to see Disneyland flooded with that stuff. This is definitely a bad sign of things to come if they feel they can modify a classic attraction just to sell a few more DVDs.

And if you guys think this is bad, wait until the "Jungle Cruise" movie comes out in 2007. Sadly I am not making that up, it's being discussed by Disney right now. At least, that's what I heard in an article somewhere.
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 08-30-2005 at 06:57 AM.

• That Guy

I share in everyone's frustration with the attorney's making sure everything is beyond safe, but to be honest, lawyers don't sue people or companies. PEOPLE hire lawyers to sue on their behalf; so in essence, we have ourselves to blame for society being hyper-litigious. If everyone would stop suing everyone else for stupid things, there would be a lot less of this non-sense.

Just my opinion, but if you donít like it, sue me.

• Senior Minion

Thank you Al for the great update. I am really excited about the changes. Disneyland needs to stop living in the past on SOME areas of the Park. The addition of new changes to POTC, is in my eyes exciting. Seeing Barbosa morphing and seeing a Captain Jack Sparrow in the scenes, just adds that one extra element that brings the ride into the 21st century.
    The Political stuff needs to go!!
    Disneyland is not a museum!! It needs to change and grow as we have heard Walt Disney state! the Park does not need to live in the past! This has been the biggest hang up for the park. Nobody likes change,and change is good people! Yes we all love the memories, but in order to bring in the next generation of kids and familes we need to be open to change, so that Disneyland thrives and survives.

The Submarine photos are fantastic, and interesting. The corrosion on those subs looks painful, I hope they put sometime in on the changes to clean that up. Thanks to the person who was kind enough to send that in.
    Lawyers suck period.
    1st Amendment-Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don't understand why we need change exactly. Can someone explain this to me?

I'm with TicTocDragon in that I have no problem with adding Jack Sparrow AA's to POTC. With respect to Davy Crockett and others, I think he's second only to Mary Poppins for the most memorable live-action character from Disney.
    From Al's description, it sounds like they'll only be adding him to the already-displayed scenes and not entirely changing them just to work him in. This reminds me of the way Indy is used, appearing in a few spots to move the story along. Jack may have the same function where he's more of a narrator or "guide" as opposed to the main focus of the attraction.
    The Sub building pics are interesting to say the least. I'm surprised they have a sub still sitting in there. I would have thought they'd have been stored somewhere else. Looks like there's still alot of work ahead for the Imagineers.

• Indy's Faithful Friend

Thumbs down Re: 8/30: I Wann-a Honda

I've started a thread about the whole Pirates thing in the DL forum entitled "Pirates of the Caribbean R.I.P." Please feel free to pay your respects to this attraction. Once that first Depp figure shows up it will be a sad day in Disneyland indeed.

"You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"
    Charlton Heston in Planet of the Apes

• Social Imagineer

Yes, I agree. It will spell the end of Pirates of the Caribbean. Adding figures from the movie is tacky beyond belief.

And if you thought that AA figures from The World of Motion didn't quite match the existing pirates, wait till you see the movie tie-ins. The original pirates are characitures, not sculptures. Their facial features are theatrically exaggerated (even moreso on the frozen faces of the WoM robots), and figures which will be designed to look like real human actors will never come close to stylistically matching the existing pirate cast of the attraction.

Woe, oh woe. Dead rides tell no tales.

• Earth Intruder

I thought the whole thing with Daisy was really funny... the story I mean, not Al's silly rhyming heheh I mean, there is NOTHING... NOTHING(!!) to do on the boat now??? Wow. Not entirely shocking, but silly nonetheless.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast