• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/2: Disneyland U.S.A. Pt. II

You asked for more and here it is, the 1956 CinemaScope photo tour continues... Discuss it here.

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Wink Re: 9/2: Disneyland U.S.A. Pt. II

Great pictures! A few things really stand out: Taking a look at the front of the Disneyland Hotel you see even back then many people drove the "SUVs" of the day, the big ol' station wagons!

As for those trams, I remember riding on those as a kid and how hard it was to get on them. Everyone had to jump on at once! When I worked at Disneyland in 1976-78, they were still used as cast-orientation trams. One other observation: Just look how much thinner everyone was back then!

Thanks fot taking us back in time!

• Closed Account

Re: 9/2: Disneyland U.S.A. Pt. II

Ah, Main Street, in its original color scheme and additional details (West Center Street/North Main Street signs on the lamp posts, white wing, etc).

This is the way Main Street SHOULD look--not the pink-pastel abomination that's taken its place today.

• The one, the only...

Great update, Al! It is always fun looking at Disneyland the way Walt wanted it to look. I soo miss the Carnation Ice Cream Parlor the way it was originally! Also the shops that allowed you to see how life was like at the turn of the century. Walt saw Main Street as an attraction, not a shopping mall as Pressler insisted.

Thanks again!
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Love it, yes I agree they should bring back at least some of the original color scheme, like the Emporium in gold. 'Swanky', now that's a term that probably hasn't been heard since the 60s!

Another thing, I like the original Mickey flower face, although looking at it now, I realize it is like the old Steamboat Mickey style. Somehow I really don't like the present flower face, I wish they could make it more like the original. Also the attraction posters in front were nice, although I guess they're not as necessary now.

• Dave

Blog Entries

I luv these historic reports good job al and thanks for including the Yesterlannd guy
    Dave

• -

I love the old hotel trams! The world was simple back in the day when there was a little something called "personal responsibility."

• Now 40% less bitter!

Those are some great pictures! The cars in the parking lot look like big toys to me. Some of the photos of Maint Street confuse me a little, though. The cul de sac is where the lockers are today, right? From what perspecive is the Carnation Cafe? Is it still where it is now? Or is is where Coke Corner is now?
    Oh, and I love that painting of Main Street at night! Thanks, Al!
    Oo-de-lally!

• Spyder-man

I bought Walt Disney Treasures - Disneyland: Secrets, Stories and Magic DVD and have loved it. This portion of the DVD is awesome. I highly recomend it to all Disneyland enthusiasts.

• It's pronounced "treesh"

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    Some of the photos of Maint Street confuse me a little, though. The cul de sac is where the lockers are today, right? From what perspecive is the Carnation Cafe? Is it still where it is now? Or is is where Coke Corner is now?
    Yes, the cul de sac (with the popcorn wagon shown at center) is where the lockers are today on the east side of Main Street. Their entrance is in the corner you can't see, behind the "Swift" marquee (which is now the Market House). The Gibson Greeting Cards shop is now Disney Clothiers.

And, Carnation Cafe is still in its original location. That shot is looking north, toward the castle. You can just make out the distinctive archway at the entrance to the Penny Arcade at the far right (behind the horse-drawn surrey).

-Jon
    Cleverly disguised as a grown-up
    Did someone say pictures?!? http://triesch.smugmug.com

"Ah, Main Street, in its original color scheme and additional details (West Center Street/North Main Street signs on the lamp posts, white wing, etc).

This is the way Main Street SHOULD look--not the pink-pastel abomination that's taken its place today."

Why did they change the color scheme to ugly dark green, purple and pink etc.? These are cheap gaudy carnival colors. Bring back the original colors and make it look like a real main street from the late 1800's to the early 1900's.

Do the current Disney people not know the history of architecture or do they just not care? It looks like they took a bunch of high school kids one weekend and said go ahead and paint it your way! I'm sure they would paint every building pink and purple if they could.

Last edited by Details Matter; 09-02-2008 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Just cuz I could. :-)

• Closed Account

Exactly, DM. The colors chosen by the original designers of Main Street were perfect as is. Why was there a need to suddenly paint seemingly every brick in a building a different color pink?

It's a common misperception today that Victorian color palettes were the gaudy purples and greens we see on "painted ladies" today. The reality--and the original Main Street's capture of that reality--was far different.

• Now 40% less bitter!

...I kind of like the soft blues some of the buildings have.
    Oo-de-lally!