• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/4: Rumor Rundown

Kevin catches us up on Walt Disney World, discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Always Improving

Re: 9/4: Rumor Rundown

It is great to hear all of the rumors. Thanks for taking the time to put them together.

Reportedly, the yeti has been in B-mode for weeks and months on end now, supposedly because the concrete fountain on which he is mounted has become irrevocably cracked. Designers or construction laborers somehow didn't account for the repetition of such incredible forces, and now the figure cannot be used as designed. No word yet on what the permanent solution may be.
    When we were there in June, he was working in full "A" mode. I have not heard that he was permanently in "B" mode. Can someone confirm or deny this?

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

From everything I've read, he's in B mode till they come up with some type of fix.

• I'm detecting nuttiness.

"Meet Mickey" new home. The Sorcerer Mickey meet and greet may be moving into the Disney Animation building, where it's rumored to receive its own permanent backdrop from Fantasia for picture-taking.
    Sorcerer Mickey was moved into the Disney Animation building earlier this year. But his backdrop isn't from Fantasia. It's a cartoon version of the archway at the entrance to the Animation Courtyard.
    *Brian*

• potterday.org

I don't like what I'm reading about the changes to Soarin' in DCA. It makes tremendous sense that the Florida version should have a global theme - so why hemogenize the California version? Why can't they have their own, unique identity? Why does everything in every park have to be a mirror image?
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

Additions:

Caribbean Beach is also theming some of the outlying rooms to a Pirates theme.

Rivers of Light (at DAK) was rumored to be off the books. Jim Hill : Monday Mouse Watch : It's lights out for DAK's "Rivers of Light" parade, while Beastly Kingdomme makes a character-based comeback

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post
    I don't like what I'm reading about the changes to Soarin' in DCA. It makes tremendous sense that the Florida version should have a global theme - so why hemogenize the California version? Why can't they have their own, unique identity? Why does everything in every park have to be a mirror image?
    The simple answer would be to provide the California guests - which tend to include more repeat visitors - with a new show. If WDW is going to get a new show (which does make sense), why not let DCA have it, too, so people have a reason to ride again?

• FastPass n00b

It's funny how engineers that go through years and years of college are often the most inept people at obvious details. The yeti is a multi-ton animatronic that lunges many, many times a day. There's a thing in all building materials called "fatigue" which is caused by repeated stress and can crack even the thickest and strongest of materials. Just like lifting a small amount of weight doesn't do anything, but lift it 1,000 times and suddenly that weight becomes incredibly significant.

This is the biggest animatronic in history so I'll give them credit for that, but I'd recommend to the engineers that they get their money from their colleges back. Fatigue is like in the beginning of Engineering 101.

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    This is the biggest animatronic in history so I'll give them credit for that, but I'd recommend to the engineers that they get their money from their colleges back. Fatigue is like in the beginning of Engineering 101.
    It must be hard to anticipate every little thing, though- especially when you're one of the only companies making AAs on such a large scale. I'd say that consulting ride operators is probably the best way to pick up on potential pitfalls in the design and testing stages because these are people who observe it in daily, monthly, yearly operation. I really don't know how much engineering school helps when you're dealing with applied frontiers in it. YouTube - HONDA ASIMO FALLS DOWN STAIRS - ROBORAMA.info

That said, I hope they get this fixed because I'd hate to make the trip over (hoping for this year) and get the "B mode" when I ride Everest for the first time.

• The one, the only...

Thanks, Kevin, for all the updates and rumors. It is nice to have them all in one place. I cannot help but feel like although it looks like there is a lot going on at WDW, there does not seem to be a really spectacular ride on the drawing boards. Everything seems a little low key, and perhaps budgeted down to death. MK deserves the kind of breakthrough attraction Expedition Everest was for AK.

Even the news on that seems said. I realize that EE will have to be re-engineered to stabilize the AA. But I am sure that there will be in no hurry to fit it as the fix is not in the budget for this year and perhaps not the next.

I love WDW, but really feel that present management is really trying to nickel and dime things when they should see this as a premiere vacation destination that should have "got-to-see-it" attractions and experiences.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Nutty about Disney parks

NEW! Hall of Presidents to no longer let the current president speak. A long refurbishment this fall will not only allow for the new president to be installed at the show, but also to return the focus to Abraham Lincoln, and discontinue a speech by the sitting president (a change that only made it through Clinton and George W. Bush).

In recent years, partisanship has reared its head in the Hall of Presidents, and crowds in the show either booed or cheered (or both) the speech by George W. Bush, and park operators have realized that the best plan may be to keep the current president silent.
    I'm surprised at how little Disney pays attention to politics. Otherwise they wouldve caught on to the fact that having George W. Bush speak in the show was gonna bring on a lot of boos, during this administration anyway. If Obama wins this November, it wouldve been interesting to hear an animatronic version of him go on his "HOPE" and "CHANGE" schpiel at Disney. But then, we'll never hear the end of it!

UPDATED! E-Ticket in Disney's Hollywood Studios by 2013. Hinted at for some time even to the CMs, this new E-Ticket is likely to be a smaller version of DCA's Radiator Springs Racers, to replace the Backlot Tour, and bring complete PIXAR-ification to the corner of the park from Narnia over to the Big City sets..
    Ehh I dunno if I like this. It goes into the whole California Adventure and DHS/Epcot/DAK having the same rides again. I'm fine with just Test Track that WDW has. We dont need the same kind of rides in each of the WDW parks (having a different 3D show in each park is ok and I guess we'll have to get used to those Dumbo clone copies). I would be content with the Monsters Inc roller coaster.

I dont blame them for wanting to take down Backlot Tour (given the attraction has now been diminished to nothing. The current version doesnt stand a chance againsts Universal's Tour.) But it's gonna be a real bummer to lose a classic attraction that really gave DHS true theming.

Canada Raft Ride. Some early rumors are pointing to a Kali-style raft ride for Canada, a concept long considered but possibly gaining new traction now.
    Same issue. Again we dont need clone copies of rides when it's all in the same resort.

Thrill ride at Tokyo pavilion. This long-delayed project may have new life again. Some online reports call for a new concept (not the bullet trains, or Matterhorn-style Mt. Fuji), and claim Joe Rohde has been involved.
    I dunno how this is possible with the small space. If it means taking down the large building in the back center of the pavilion then no. Japan is one of the most well themed pavilions in the world showcase (well isolated with beautiful surroundings) and I would rather have the old monorail film show than a squished in roller coaster.

NEW! Discovery Island (Treasure Island) possibly re-themed for pirates. Reportedly, officials are looking into using the onetime bird sanctuary, an island off Fort Wilderness, for a separate-ticket pirate adventure.

Adventureland Veranda restaurant to reopen as Tortuga. The long-dormant eatery may be re-opened with a pirate theme (hence the name Tortuga). Timeline unknown.

Adventureland make over to Pirates. One idea being considered is to transform all of Adventureland to Pirates, which could mean a new tiki room show (that would be universally welcome!) and the replacing of the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse with a pirate ship play area. One report even calls for a new outdoor roller coaster.
    ENOUGH WITH THE PIRATES!!!

I dont care how popular it is, the pirate franchising is becoming a bigger overkill than Disney Princesses and there were only 3 real Disney pirate films!

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Thanks, Kiba, for putting up that link to the ASIMO fall. It was just painful to see the poor little guy collapse like that!

Quote Originally Posted by toonaspie View Post
    I dunno how this is possible with the small space. If it means taking down the large building in the back center of the pavilion then no. Japan is one of the most well themed pavilions in the world showcase (well isolated with beautiful surroundings) and I would rather have the old monorail film show than a squished in roller coaster.
    Actually they have plenty of room with the building mentioned and the large clear area between that pavilion and Morocco