• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/1: London Spirits

Guest columnist Alain Littaye takes a look at two popular themed London attractions - discuss them here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Wishing I was at the DLR!

Re: 9/1: London Spirits

Kudos to you Alain! As a frequent traveler to London, I was thrilled you brought up the "London Dungeon". I first went there in 1986, at age 19 (almost 20)! They did'nt have the "Enter at your own Peril" entry sign way back then, they also had live rats behind glass... I've seen many changes over the years, but they've all been good changes. A lot of tourist guides of London say to pass it up, it's a rip off, etc... Truth be told, if you like the macbre then you will enjoy the "London Dungeon", to me it's worth every pence!

Thanks again Alain!

Again, another "Well Done"!

I remember going through Tussauds in London, but years ago, before they added the ride and interactive exhibits....

It was impressive then, although as a child I didn't know who a lot of the figures were (this is before they changed their focus to celebrities - they had a lot of historical figures and such that weren't familiar to tourists).

Now, I've got to plan another trip to London.....

-Scarecrow.

• The one, the only...

Great job! It almost feels like the chopping block awaits!

Are you sure that they don't really torture people?
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• insufferable know-it-all

Oh man, I just LOVE the London Dungeon... that place is like the Goth Disneyland! It seems to get better every year too! I remember the first time I visited, it was basically an exhibit, and the Jack the Ripper walk through was its newest attraction. Many more life-size dioramas of torture and the plague back then (you never forget a blood-vomiting wax figure, lemme tell ya!). Next (most recent) time I went, they had the ride (cool effect, the drop). The mirror maze sounds awesome!

That's one thing about the London Dungeon, they do keep the show fresh!

Unusually and exceedingly peculiar and altogether quite impossible to describe...

• The Force is with me.

Great Job! When I saw this article on the front page, I was secretly hoping you would cover the London Dungeon. My sisters and I got to experience it last summer; my youngest sister was not only the one they experimented on in the torture chamber, but she was also put on trial for saying that the courtroom smelled like Pirates of the Caribbean from Disneyland!

I just had a question about the new section. Did they remove the "Wicked Women" section? That was probably my favorite part, especially the last woman featured!
    What do you do with a B.A. in English,
    What is my life going to be?
    Four years of college, and plenty of knowledge
    Have earned me this useless degree...

---Avenue Q

•   
    • NEVER to Old To Fly...

Blog Entries

When i lived in England I LOVED THE LONDON DONGEON!

in '84 the sign above the door said "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" with 2 grim reapers re-enacting Michaelangelo's Creation of Adam fresco on the sistien chapel ceiling
    -----------------------------------------------
    DISNEYLAND: Greatest Man-Made Place On Earth

YOSEMITE NATIONAL PARK: Greatest *GOD-Made Place On Earth

Quote Originally Posted by singingrose
    Great Job! When I saw this article on the front page, I was secretly hoping you would cover the London Dungeon. My sisters and I got to experience it last summer; my youngest sister was not only the one they experimented on in the torture chamber, but she was also put on trial for saying that the courtroom smelled like Pirates of the Caribbean from Disneyland!

I just had a question about the new section. Did they remove the "Wicked Women" section? That was probably my favorite part, especially the last woman featured!
    Hello "singingrose", alain littaye, here.
    Well, yes, i'm afraid they removed the wicked women section, as i don't think i saw it when i was there , some weeks ago...........

• Confuzled Woozle

Funny... I was just in London and those were the two attractions I chose to avoid. I am terrified of wax figures and wasn't up for seeing torture. But they looked cool anyways.
    Did you hear about the three blondes who were driving to Disneyland?
    After being in the car for hours, they saw a sign that said "Disneyland left" so they turned around and went home.

• Iron-Clad Allie

This article waxed well with me, Alain. Talk about unusual - the wax/character museums are seldom highlighted in articles, especially in an exciting fashion such as this.

Madame trussaud's Wax Museum's realistic celebrity sculpturesof people such as Jennifer Lopez, Tom Cruise, Piece Brosnan, The Hulk and Spiderman are breathtaking. The terror-ific London Dungeon looks to be a blast too - especially when you brave the macabre waters in a flume boat! Bravo! Jolly, bloody good.

What is the price of admission to each of these attractions?