• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/11: Book Your Meals

Kevin's Walt Disney World Menu Book is updated, discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 9/11: Book Your Meals

This book sound really great. Except for one thing. The fact that you decided to remove the smaller food stands. Speaking for myself, the most valuable part of the book for me is the index. So when I want a corn dog, or a soda, or fries or popcorn or even a turkey leg, it sounds like your book won't help me. Which is a bummer. Because I would love to have all that info in one book with me at WDW for those spur of the moment cravings.

While I think it is GREAT that you've included all these menus from Sea World, Universal and elsewhere, those won't help ME when I want my corndog.

And, the books title doesn't work for me because of the additions. Frankly, I think you could sell more of them if you altered the title to INCLUDE those other menus.

So, I'll wait for the next update to see if you've created the perfect book for me.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'm a regular reader, Kevin, as you know, and always enjoy your writings. I'm not so comfortable, though, with your regular Disney World news article being used as an in depth promotion for your product. I'm fine with the blurbs at the end of an article, but using the entire article as an ad seems kinda not cool. Just my opinion, and not really a big thing for me.

I disagree. His article is relevant. But perhaps he might have compared it to Birnbaum's Walt Disney World Dining Guide, which by the way has worse reviews than Kevin's book.
    It was a rather short article today. A mentioning of current news from the parks in tangent with his book might be a bit better.
    Or, to my dismay, no mentioning of the Fanfic winners, let alone even mentioning that the judging is still in progress. My anticipation for the announcement or any bit of news is driving me nuts.

It's not really the relevance I'm concerned with, and maybe concerned is too strong a word. And a writer at a fan web site shouldn't be held to the same standard as a mainstream journalist, so perhaps I'm being overly sensitive here. Besides, it's not my site, so Kevin & Al can do what they wish.

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Just bought a book. $10 is one lunch at DL, so a small price to pay. My wife will enjoy it as she doesn't like to sit at the computer and read.

• MiceAge Columnist

I understand your point, though, Dan. Today's write up certainly is more "commercial" than most of the stuff I put up. It would be foolhardy to pretend otherwise
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Kevin, the more I've thought about it, the less I have a problem. Now, if you were Tom Brokaw hawking his latest WWII book in the middle of the NBC Nightly News, well THEN I'd have a problem!

I thought you were going to list all the quick snack places on one page? Well then, it's an idea for next time.

• Circle of Ancients

We got the last Menu book and found it quote useful, especially for my MIL who had never been to WDW. We already had our restaurants picked out, but this gave her an idea of what to expect. $10 well spent.

Admittedly, the dumbing-down of WDW menus means they don't change as much as at regular restaurants, but Disney does seem to rotate items at least seasonally.

How long will the menus in this book be current, and how often will Kevin be able to update it?

...I know, I know... it's only $10...

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by daliseurat View Post
    So when I want a corn dog, or a soda, or fries or popcorn or even a turkey leg, it sounds like your book won't help me. Which is a bummer.
    Mistryl is right; I *do* have all the "smaller" locations listed on a single page in quite minimal fashion (no prices here!)... but you can see at a glance where the corn dogs and turkey legs are. That doesn't capture the ODF carts - those move around too much for me - but it will capture the snack stands.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by lurkyloo View Post
    How long will the menus in this book be current, and how often will Kevin be able to update it?
    They seem to raise prices around October 1, so expect a $1 increase not too long from now. But changing menu *items* happens less often than you'd think.

As to how often, hopefully 3x a year I'll print more copies.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    Mistryl is right; I *do* have all the "smaller" locations listed on a single page in quite minimal fashion (no prices here!)... but you can see at a glance where the corn dogs and turkey legs are. That doesn't capture the ODF carts - those move around too much for me - but it will capture the snack stands.
    Oh, well thats cool, so are the foods they sell in the INDEX? That's what makes it for me.

• MiceAge Columnist

Alas, they are not in the index. I was worried about including them for two reasons. First, that would "corrupt" the index away from entree-type items and introduce snacks, and second, it would be potentially misleading in that those ODF carts, which are NOT covered in the book, have even more of those kinds of snacks.

The only solution was either to include the ODF carts, which I did not want to do as they change too much, or to steer the indexes away from snack items. Of course, the downside is that it may not meet the needs of folks like you.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy