• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/16: Dino Diner

Kevin takes a look at the TRex Restaurant, has two book reviews and more... Discuss it all here.

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 10/16: Dino Diner

Removing the FastPass would be a Decline by Degrees.

Not only that, the system you propose/hope for would make for class warfare within the parks. It's one thing when people head to their various hotels, but it's quite a different thing when a convoluted system starts up to those who shell out more for an already expensive ticket. FastPass adds to the value of people's vacations, and you take that away all of the sudden, or make it a paid feature, and you'll have a lot of upset customers on your hands.

Customers who then go home and complain to their friends. If Disney wants to woo people to the parks during this economic crisis we are in, the way to do it isn't charging for something that was free and creating class distinctions in line at the attractions.

• The line's too long...

Kevin proposes a fair system, you get one FP with your admission, and if you want more then buy them. Bottom line is that Disney can make more money, which is their ultimate goal. Locals still get one each time they visit, which is enough for that one ride they have to go on during their weekly visit. And out-of-towners get to buy more to get to go on everything before they have to leave, and perhaps not to return for a few years.

Disney is already known for nickeling and diming people to death. Charging for something at the parks that once was free is going to cause major complaints and dis-satisfaction. That's hardly "fair".

The FP system we have in place is hardly perfect, but the one proposed would be a public relations nightmare. Charging people to fix a problem that wasn't even their fault to begin with? It's not right. I doubt that Disney would seriously do this. Maybe next they will bring back the ticket books and still charge $70 for admission? That, too, would be "fair"... but not right.

I think Disney might be playing with fire if it cuts down the free FP system down to 1-per-day in this economy. How do you guys feel if a pay system was supplemented by a free/included one that spaced out fastpasses a bit more? You still have access to free fastpasses throughout the day, just at a slower rate unless you're staying at the hotel and get the deluxe one.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'm probably in the minority these days, but I've always felt that the FP is totally fair, and works pretty danged well as it is. It's not that hard to understand, it's free to all, and those who put in the extra time to understand the nuances of the system are rewarded with more efficient usage. I'm not at all for putting an extra burden on the system by allowing people to buy their way in. The limitations of time that are currently in place work very well, IMO.

• MiceAge Columnist

If you like FP as it is, the question becomes "what do you want them to do if they are intent on adding paid FP no matter what?"

Letting the system stay the way it is *and* adding paid FP would not, IMHO, work very well, so hopefully they find a way to tweak it.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• at one with the Mouse

Universal charges for their Fastpasses and it seems to work great for them. Maybe Disney just looked at the competition and realized that people are willing to pay top dollar for a service that they're giving away for free.

• Vasooki-land Owner

I would not enjoy the idea of paying for fastpasses at all. I would never get to go on any rides, because my Dad's mentality is, for the big rides, no fast pass, no ride. -.-;;

I would never pay for a fast pass, and, darnit if I was old enough, I would protest.

I think that FPes are not all that bad. Thats where I stand.

Oh, and btw, if you are a local, get a fastpass for later in the day, go home, and then come back. Also, that works for hotel guests too.
    We are currently imagineeing a new attraction for you!

Please enjoy all the other attractions in fabulicious Vasooki-land!

A question: where is this T-Rex restaurant? There was no mention anywhere within the article. Going by the mention of no AP discounts, am I correct in assuming it's at one of the Disney resorts?

I'm also one who'd rather FPs stay as is. Many other parks have paid front-of-the-line passes. The no-extra-charge and for-everybody concept of Fastpass is one of those things that's unique to Disney, as well as welcome, considering you're already paying a premium for a Disney experience. Tweaking the system or selling extras might be OK to an extent, but not overly limiting what currently exists.

• In Technicolor!

I would also prefer the FP status quo to reamin. If we assume, however, that a paid FP of some kind is coming, I do like most of Kevin's ideas.

Let's hope that if they do start offering guests the option of buying a version of the Dream FastPass, that they change the name. How awkward would it be to market - "Dreams Now For Sale!"
    These are the games that never end.

• MiceAge Columnist

T-Rex is in Downtown Disney, at the knuckle where Pleasure Island and the Marketplace meet (in essence, between Raglan Road and McDonald's, as the bird flies).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee View Post
    If you like FP as it is, the question becomes "what do you want them to do if they are intent on adding paid FP no matter what?"

Letting the system stay the way it is *and* adding paid FP would not, IMHO, work very well, so hopefully they find a way to tweak it.
    I agree that just adding paid FP wouldn't be much fun. But I'm still hoping they just leave it alone.

• Rock Star Minion

Well, if "no one is coming," then fastpass is not all that necessary for anyone, including locals.
    When "everyone is coming," the first place to tweak for more revenue is the guest who pays the least to enter.

And, Kevin, I thought you would be even happier if the parks went the complete opposite direction? And where is that essay you've been meaning to put together about FastPass?
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Oo-de-lally

I looked at the menu for T-Rex and I have to say I would rather have this place at Down Town Disney here in Anaheim instead of Rain Forrest. The food sounds great. The desert menu is awesome as well. I love when restaurants let you make Smore's at your table. I also like the different themed rooms. I hope to eat at this place some day.
    Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally
    Golly, what a day