Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/6: Main Street Christmas Loop

A much requested article returns, the complete artist and track listing. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 11/6: Main Street Christmas Loop

when does the music start?

Hey Al, as a fellow 'Kirsten' I can say it's a little annoying to be called 'Kristen.' If you get a chance, can you change your second reference to her by her correct name, Kirsten? Sorry, I know we Kirsten/Kristen's can get annoying with our asking for correct spellings.

Anyway, great article! Thanks for all the good info.

-Kirsten (or is it Kristen, or Kyrstin, or Kjerstehn)

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by jkh1978 View Post
    when does the music start?
    At my house, in about 5 minutes!
    Last edited by ttrocc7007; 11-06-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: Usual bad spelling...
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• -DL's VIP Entrance

Hi Al,

Thanks for the revision and update on the Christmas loop. Since you're in the recording industry, can you give us any insights as to the impact royalty payments have on the exact selection of music that will appear in the park? Do you have a guess as to what those fees might be and if Disney can play one vendor off another since just about EVERYBODY has recorded "Jingle Bells" etc.?

I'm asking cause a lot of this stuff looks obscure and/or minor label. Is that a coincidence?

Thanks

• -DL's VIP Entrance

Tangential Afterthought: I think you wrote many years ago on the "other" website that the owners of "Hawaiian War Chat" wanted an obscene amount of money for the 5 second gag that parodies the song in Lion King. I think you also went on to suspect that the steep royalties were reason the "War Chant" got cut from historical documentaries that were in the original relase (ca. 1963) but cut out when it was marketed a few years ago.

Do I have that right?

• The one, the only...

Great work, Al! I loved hearing how all those songs got found and where. I will be doing my own search to find the music myself for my iPod. Thanks again.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Anybody with success in finding the rare recordings, can you please post where you found them and if there are more available ? I have found the David Rose, Raymond Lefevre and Felix Slatkin recordings but not the Ed Sullivan Presents the Music of Christmas.

What I did find, I found on Ebay as records and digitized the music with a Sony USB turntable.

Regarding the availability of some of the loop's titles thought to only be on LP...

It appears to me from a quick search, that the Disneyland Christmas loop's Track 9, The Christmas Song by David Rose, Track 13, Caroling, Caroling by Hollywood Pops Orchestra and Track 17, Jingle Bell Rock by Hollyridge Strings and is available on a 1993 Capital/EMI CD titled Christmas Magic - Instrumental Holiday Favorites.

Also there seems to be a Raymond Lefevre import CD on the Jvc Victor label called White Christmas (1998 or 2004 depending on source). It appears to have the DL Christmas loop's Track 10: Silver Bells and Track 16: Petit Papa Noel.

I have not heard either CD to verify that they are indeed the park's loop versions, but it seems encouraging at the least.
    Last edited by mickeyandme67; 11-06-2008 at 02:31 PM. Reason: Clarify
    Permanecer sentado por favor...

Well, there is a site that offers a lot of hard to find music from the various resorts.<link deleted>

This site has bunch of fan made videos of the various park shows/parades as well as hard to find videos and DVDs from the parks. I have used this site a number of times to get all those hard to find tracks that I was unable to purchase anywhere.

On a side note: They do take down and block as much of the available stuff as possible and only leave the no longer on sale stuff there. I am in no way promoting piracy.
    Last edited by moderator; 11-06-2008 at 05:48 PM. Reason: Illegal downloading site removed

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • MiceChat Moderator

Just a reminder, the sharing or selling of copyrighted material which you do not hold the copyright to, is illegal and is not permitted on MiceChat. The same goes for Web sites that share those materials.

From the MiceChat FAQ

Quote: Quote:
    There will be times when you want to share something you found on the Internet with your fellow MiceChatters. Sharing is indeed caring. But, please be careful - there may be hurdles for you to jump. When you post information, an image, video or audio file from another source, make sure you are not posting content that is copyrighted. Such materials being shared and distributed without the consent of the person who owns the copyrights to the item in question is not allowed.
    Thanks!
    Thank you for helping to make MiceChat a safe and fun place for everyone!

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Wait a minute! Will the real track 16 stand up? Is it the version of Petit Papa Noel by Paul Mauriat (that the disneymusicloops says it is), or the Raymond Levefre, that Al says? I am most curious, but since I have both records now, its moot, really, but I would like to have the right one on my CD!

ed: The best source, by far, for track 13 "Caroling, Caroling" by the Hollywood Pops Orchestra is this album, The Sound Of Christmas Volume 2. The track from Walmart is a rather flat, down-sampled version, with no dynamic range or bass to it at all.

• amusicfan

To All The Members At MiceAge,

Petit Papa Noel played at Disneyland on Main Street is Paul Mauriat and not Raymond Lefevre. You can find Paul Mauriat song on his "A Paul Mauriat Christmas" cd for sale on Ebay and Amazon even though it's out of print. He also has it on his "Joyeux Noel Avec" cd which is an import.

amusicfan

Quote Originally Posted by Katella Gate View Post
    Hi Al,

Thanks for the revision and update on the Christmas loop. Since you're in the recording industry, can you give us any insights as to the impact royalty payments have on the exact selection of music that will appear in the park? Do you have a guess as to what those fees might be and if Disney can play one vendor off another since just about EVERYBODY has recorded "Jingle Bells" etc.?

I'm asking cause a lot of this stuff looks obscure and/or minor label. Is that a coincidence?

Thanks
    When Disney negotiated the original deal in 1972....I doubt there was much of an extensive royalty agreement. These were only songs played during the Holidays, so the amount of income from royalties wouldn't be that much anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are working under the original 1972 agreement.

But I'm just guessing at all this.

I don't think anyone makes a big deal about using other's music for background ....if it's Holiday music, used only on a Holiday basis. I wonder if there's a special exception in the Royalty/Copyright code if it's Holiday music. ---Which is why I keep begging for a podcast.

Certainly, recording ambient background music is not illegal, with valid Park admission. And, I don't think there's anything wrong with posting a recording of what you hear in the background of Main Street. Downloading is wrong yes.....but a recording shouldn't be a problem.

And, so I beg: Please someone, put up a podcast, or YouTube of the music played on Main Street during the Holidays !

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by Pisces View Post
    When Disney negotiated the original deal in 1972....I doubt there was much of an extensive royalty agreement. These were only songs played during the Holidays, so the amount of income from royalties wouldn't be that much anyway.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are working under the original 1972 agreement.

But I'm just guessing at all this.

I don't think anyone makes a big deal about using other's music for background ....if it's Holiday music, used only on a Holiday basis. I wonder if there's a special exception in the Royalty/Copyright code if it's Holiday music. ---Which is why I keep begging for a podcast.

Certainly, recording ambient background music is not illegal, with valid Park admission. And, I don't think there's anything wrong with posting a recording of what you hear in the background of Main Street. Downloading is wrong yes.....but a recording shouldn't be a problem.

And, so I beg: Please someone, put up a podcast, or YouTube of the music played on Main Street during the Holidays !
    They probably got a clearance for the songs through ASCAP or BMI, or some other music clearinghouse:

The American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers (ASCAP) is a non-profit performance rights organization that protects its members' musical copyrights by monitoring public performances of their music, whether via a broadcast or live performance, and compensating them accordingly. ASCAP collects licensing fees from users of music created by ASCAP members, then distributes them back to its members as royalties (BMI has a similar method for its members). In effect, the arrangement is the product of a compromise: when a song is played, the user does not have to pay the copyright holder directly, nor does the music creator have to bill a radio station for use of a song.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast