Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Roger Rabbit turns 20

Roger Rabbit Turns 20

Twenty years ago, Who Framed Roger Rabbit revitalized the animation industry as a bold experiment, looking back as well as forward, as it turned out. AWN marks the historic occasion by reminiscing with Richard Williams, Don Hahn, Tom Sito, James Baxter and Ken Ralston.

November 30, 2008
    By Andrew Farago and Bill Desowitz
    AnimationWorldNetwork

Happy 20th Anniversary to Who Framed Roger Rabbit.

Has it really been 20 years since the release of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? Twenty years since the given-up-for-dead feature animation industry stood up and said, "Plplplllease, you gotta give me another chance! Come on, Raoul!"? Twenty years since Andrew Farago made his parents, older brothers and any available adult with a drivers' license chauffeur him to the next town for multiple viewings of his new favorite film. Not to mention 19 years since he rushed out to see Honey, I Shrunk the Kids as soon as it hit the local theater based solely on the inclusion of seven new minutes of Roger Rabbit animation? (OK... and the comic stylings of Rick Moranis.)

So, in commemoration of the 20th anniversary of Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Farago interviews three key members of the animation department: Associate Producer Don Hahn and animators Tom Sito and James Baxter, while AWN Senior Editor Bill Desowitz speaks with Animation Director Richard Williams and Visual Effects Supervisor Ken Ralston.

Don Hahn

Andrew Farago: How did you first become involved with the production of Who Framed Roger Rabbit? What convinced you to take on the project?

Don Hahn: I had just finished work on The Great Mouse Detective as production manager and Peter Schneiderwas called to take a meeting at Amblin to discuss the animation on Roger Rabbit. Peter was new to the department so he asked that I start going with him to talk to Bob Z[Robert Zemeckis] and the producers about the project. After that I was pulled in slowly to start to manage tests, then to go to London to work with Dick (Richard) Williams and his studio and eventually to live in London for almost two years to oversee the animation as associate producer.

AF: Can you describe your role in the production of the film?

DH: I produced the animation. There were three major elements of the production: the live-action shoot, the animation and the magic that ILM did at the end to combine it all together. The studio in London was a combination of key players from Dick Williams' studio, four key animators from Burbank and a team of gypsy animators that we hired from around the world to come to London to work. I hired Max Howard, who was a brilliant manager, and together we built a studio around Richard and the crew to deliver the film.
    full article at:
    Animation World Magazine

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: Roger Rabbit turns 20

I just saw at Disneyland that they made a ROGER RABBIT die-cast vehicle. I'm gonna get me one. I love this movie!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Fortuosity!

There actually is a nice, big snowglobe at Disney Store right now for Roger. It isn't as much as could be done for Roger these days, but it's something at least.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

I remember the hullabaloo around the release of this movie in theatres and such......and would you also believe that I have never seen the movie? Nope, never.

But realizing all of that happened 20 years ago makes me feel old Because it doesn't seem like it was 20 years ago.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    I remember the hullabaloo around the release of this movie in theatres and such......and would you also believe that I have never seen the movie? Nope, never.

But realizing all of that happened 20 years ago makes me feel old Because it doesn't seem like it was 20 years ago.

Do it! WATCH IT NOW!!!!!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneyland Daddy View Post
    But realizing all of that happened 20 years ago makes me feel old .
    That and maybe its because you used the word hullaballoo. That would make anyone feel old!
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

One of my favorites.

I realized it was 20 years old when I saw the Pixar Story on the Wall-E DVD, and noticed that they included clips of Bugs Bunny, Betty Boop, and Felix the Cat, which I think is the first time since Roger Rabbit that non-Disney clips were used in a Disney DVD.

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Wow, he doesn't look a day over 19 . But seriously, one of my favorite movies. I've always been a fan of animation with real life, and this movie was just the ultimate at that!

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

I've never been a fan of "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" as far as the story goes. I always thought it was coarse and mean-spirited. I can't deny the artistry and technology that went into it, however. Strictly from an animation standpoint, it's one of the landmark films of the 20th century--and proof that 2D animation done well will always find an audience and be relevant.

Besides, any movie that showcases Donald and Daffy at dueling pianos can't be all bad.

• Wishin' I was at WDW.

"Who Framed Roger Rabbit" is such a terrific film. Technical achievements aside it's a great film noir comedy. Two genres that never should have worked together.

I remember seeing this in 1988 in a packed (long gone) single screen theater in my hometown. The audience was absolutely pealing with laughter and caught up in the story wondering just where it would go. I was so jazzed after seeing it because not only had I seen a new movie that had "classic" written all over it but I knew Disney was back on the map as far as animation was concerned.

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

One of my favorites, hope they add some more stuff to the toontown store with his face on it.

• AP holder 400 miles away

wow i loved this movie when i was a kid! im only 22, i cant believe this move is 20 years old now

• Animation Domination

Disney is probably already plannin on re-releasing Who Framed Roger Rabbit on DVD again. This time it's going to have a 20th Anniversay on it.
    Double dipping time!!!

• Fortuosity!

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMousePal View Post
    Disney is probably already plannin on re-releasing Who Framed Roger Rabbit on DVD again. This time it's going to have a 20th Anniversay on it.
    Double dipping time!!!
    Would you believe they're not?

The current two disc set is great anyway. There were plans for a region 2 Blu-ray but I have yet to hear anything recent about that.
    I like The Happiest Millionaire. What's wrong with that?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

25 has a better ring.

Plus it gives them a few years to see if another R.R. film is viable or not within Zemeckis' current deal. Somebody get Amblin' on the phone.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast