• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

12/9: Pumped Up, Pt I

Steve on the story of the Disneyland Railroad Handcar, Part One: Origins - Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• The line's too long...

Re: 12/9: Pumped Up, Pt I

Interesting start to a new series.

One thing I've wondered is if the view from the DL railroad has significantly changed since Walt's time in relation to how much of the park is actually visible from the passenger seats. Today, for much of the ride you really can't see too much of the park, and you even end up seeing a bit too much of backstage rather than the lands themselves as you pass by. For example, I wish the Adventureland section of the track had a better view.

• always, the freaky cat

For eight years I lived next to a busy railroad track in a rural area north of Sacramento, and saw pickup trucks that could drive on the rails frequently. It's wonderful to hear how they are carrying on the work of the old handcars.

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    One thing I've wondered is if the view from the DL railroad has significantly changed since Walt's time in relation to how much of the park is actually visible from the passenger seats. Today, for much of the ride you really can't see too much of the park, and you even end up seeing a bit too much of backstage rather than the lands themselves as you pass by. For example, I wish the Adventureland section of the track had a better view.
    It would be cool to see more of Adventureland from the railroad, and yet, I'm glad I can't see the railroad from the Jungle Cruise--that would take away from the experience of being in a "remote" jungle.

• -

Hi Steve,

When I was a Steam Trains CM, I was there one of the rare times when the handcart was put onto the main line. I hope I'm not spoiling a Part II surprise for your readers, but when the handcart is used on the main line...
    Spoiler
    it's easier to run it backwards on the main line, counter-clockwise instead of clockwise. This is because it's much easier to descend the long grade along the Rivers of America rather than travel up it.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by vfire View Post
    Well, the vegetation certainly has grown in. Without the trees in Adventureland Frontierland and even Tomorrowland, the view was certainly far more expansive.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    Hi Steve,

When I was a Steam Trains CM, I was there one of the rare times when the handcart was put onto the main line. I hope I'm not spoiling a Part II surprise for your readers, but when the handcart is used on the main line...
    No, you're not spoiling anything! I do discuss how the handcar has been used by CMs on rare occasions, and I quote a discription of one of those rides from a participant.

• is too darn hot.

I love the handcar. It has always added a sort of authenticity to the Disneyland Railroad. I always figured it was authentic and not a WED reproduction. I would love to see it zipping down the mainline someday.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Closed Account

Yes, it is indeed an authentic handcar, though as we will see later, it's not all original.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Great part 1, Steve. I'm getting drunk and pulling out the ol' Irish Banjo in anticipation of Part 2. Stand well back.

I've wondered about that handcar since we were sitting at the Main St Station for about 5min last year waiting to get the green light to continue. Can't wait for the rest of the story!

• > 150 DL Trips & 3 to 33

I always wondered if the person in the front was in great danger of falling off and being struck by his/her own conveyance.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by toemblem View Post
    I always wondered if the person in the front was in great danger of falling off and being struck by his/her own conveyance.
    In fact, that has happened before, and there is the possibility of being run over by the machine. It's helpful, then, to have the person(s) in front stand next to the "A" frame and face forward as well.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 12-13-2008 at 08:35 AM.

• Mousketeer

Good article Steve. Looking forward to the next instalment

• Choosy Moms Choose Jeff

Thank you Steve for continually sharing about one of my favorite attractions...the DLRR. I love the handcar and have a beautiful 8X10 hanging in my house of Walt on his beloved gift.

Thank you so much!!!