• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Don Hahn on 'Beauty and the Beast' 3D release

Disney Producer Reveals Motivation, Method Behind Beauty and the Beast 3D

Posted on Monday, December 8th, 2008 at 6:49 am
    by: David Chen
    Slash Film

Disney Producer Reveals Motivation, Method Behind Beauty and the Beast 3D | /Film

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: Don Hahn on 'Beauty and the Beast' 3D release

Cool, I love Beauty and the Beast. I'm hoping we see more Disney movies in 3D like the Lion King, Littler Mermaid and my favorite Aladdin.

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

I think the whole 3D think is great, but it would be nice to see some new movies made instead of just bringing back older films.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Beauty and the Beast in 3D and on the big screen, but I really am looking foward to some new movies.
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

It's...interesting, to be sure, but I like the movie the way it is, thank you. Then again, this sort of presentation is different enough to make for a new experience, so I guess I'll give it a chance to prove that it's anything more than a gimmick or the 21st century equivalent of colorization. What I don't like already is the implication (unintentional, I hope) that there is something wrong or inferior with being 2D.

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post
    I think the whole 3D think is great, but it would be nice to see some new movies made instead of just bringing back older films.
    At least with older movies, we know whether we like them or not. Disney has a stake in keeping their classics "relevant" just like movie theaters have a stake in keeping themselves "relevant" in the age of high-definition home entertainment, which is why we're seeing such experimentation. In general, I'm pretty protective of the Disney animated features, but I guess it's cool when they can be used to try out new things. It still seems like a gimmick to me, though....

• BATTLE COMBINER!

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    At least with older movies, we know whether we like them or not. Disney has a stake in keeping their classics "relevant" just like movie theaters have a stake in keeping themselves "relevant" in the age of high-definition home entertainment, which is why we're seeing such experimentation. In general, I'm pretty protective of the Disney animated features, but I guess it's cool when they can be used to try out new things. It still seems like a gimmick to me, though....
    I agree, heartily, with one of your points, but disagree a tad with your other, and uncertainly. Firstly, I totally agree with you pointing out this is a gimmick. I believe this also. 3D movies never seemed to feel like real movies, they always felt cheap to me. my only fun 3D movies was Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas, and Meet The Robinsons. They never felt correct. I just have always associated them with cheap marketing. However, as also pointed out by you, this could be a turning point in my opinion.

Now, my disagreement comes from your very first statement in the quote...

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Cook View Post
    At least with older movies, we know whether we like them or not.
    Now, I don't like the fact they are reusing an older film, and just adding 3D. I didn't like that about Nightmare Before Christmas. But, it was still a good film, yes. Just like Atari's classics are still classics. Does not mean they are going to be fun every single time. And adding stuff to them does not make them more fun. In fact, this statement I agree with...

Quote Originally Posted by haunted_hottie View Post

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see Beauty and the Beast in 3D and on the big screen, but I really am looking forward to some new movies.
    A perfect point there, and I really have none to add to that statement, except an 'R' in the word forward.

Now, about the disagreement, I am uncertain, because I am not sure of what you mean by it. If you mean what I think you mean, then yes, I disagree.

did any of you see "the Journey to the center of the Earth" or "Bolt,"

those are the two most recent 3-D movies I can think of.

I saw Beowulf in 3-D and found the fx interesting although not Awesome enough to runn out and watch that movie if you weren't allready a fan of the source material.

what made it cool was that instead of POP OUT of the screen gags (there where a few) the back grounds seemed like they continued back to a more natural vanishing point

As far as NEW movies goes I wouldn't be opposed to seeing one of Disney's new films in 3-D. It is a gimmick but for people that have 60+" tv screens @ home the Movie business needs a gimmick to get them in the door instead of Just waiting for the DVD to come out
    Last edited by DznyFan17; 01-16-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: sperling arors

check me out on Flickr
    www.flickr.com/photos/xsorsburn

Quote Originally Posted by DznyFan17 View Post
    what made it cool was that instead of POP OUT of the screen gags (there where a few) the back grounds seemed like they continued back to a more natural vanishing point
    I saw Journey To The Center Of The Earth and Fly Me To The Moon within a couple days of each other, and much preferred the 3D in FMTTM, the cute little "bugs stowaway on Apollo 11" animated movie, for exactly that reason. JTTCOTE relied too much on the standard 3D gags like "yo-yo into the camera," but not much else, while FMTTM had amazing depth of field throughout.

The one thing that I like about redoing BATB and other classic animation in 3D is that it actually gets the movie re-released. Without the 3D, now that people have most of the movies on DVD that they can watch on a big-screen TV any time they want, there's not much incentive to go see it at the local cinema. But there's no way to get the full 3D effect at home, so you have to go to the theatre. So Disney gives it a big re-release that it probably wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Yay.