• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

12/11: The Disney Bookshelf Checklist, Updated!

Kevin's handy listing for bookworms returns and is updated, with links to find titles you may be missing. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Hopper's Mortal Enemy

Cool Re: 12/11: The Disney Bookshelf Checklist, Updated!

What I like about the Disneyland Encyclopedia is that one can look up a fact fairly easily, as oppsed to trying to remember which issue of the E Ticket that it is in. Sometimes it's tricky to figure out where it may be listed, though. Always wanted to check out Nickel Tour, but after being out of work since Halloween (ending Monday-subtract one from the list of unemployed), I can't even beg for a Xmas present at that price.

A bientot.
    Remember
    What the dormouse said
    Feed your head!

You've read it; you can't unread it!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: 12/11: The Disney Bookshelf Checklist, Updated!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Yee
    Behind the Magic: 50 Years of Disneyland (Karal Ann Marling) - there is almost nothing new in this softcover volume, yet the result is almost cloyingly attractive. This would make a good first book for a Disney collector, or someone with a passing interest in Disney park history. Those with deeper relationships, though, might find it a bit rehashed.
    Behind the Magic: 50 Years of Disneyland was originally produced as a companion piece to the exhibit of the same name that debuted at The Henry Ford Museum and later had a run at the Oakland Museum of California. This would likely explain why the book feels like a rehash; it wasn't made for Disneyland fans, but more for museum visitors seeking a souvenir.

Looks like someone (The Henry Ford?) printed too many copies and now Disneyland is trying to sell the rest of them.

Great list Kevin!

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• dream out loud

I'm so excited to do this, I just hope I'm not a "foolish mortal" in doing so but I'm pretty sure Kevin's list excludes a newly published "Imagineers Field Guide to Disneyland!" I got this just two weeks ago at Disneyland. It's the same design as the Imagineering Field Guides to the Magic Kingdom (WDW), Epcot, and Animal Kingdom. I have many of the theme park books on Kevin's list, but I was still excited to learn a few new things, and see some art work I have not previously seen in this book. Only drawback - it's a small book - not page wise, but maybe 10 inches tall, 4-4 1/2 inches wide.

I wanted to comment on "Disneyland: Behind the Magic" too - this book is from the museum exhibition put on around the 50th that was only exhibited in Detroit and then Oakland. While I agree it wasn't the most fascinating read, I really enjoyed some of the different artwork included and the layout/presentation. I'm with Kevin in that it didn't "wow" me, but I'm glad I have it and enjoy looking through it now and again.

• MiceAge Columnist

Yup, my list excludes the Imagineer's Guide to DL because that list is also my master list of what I own, and I don't own it yet! I think I ordered it from amazon, though. Hm. Maybe I do own it, and it's lost somewhere in the bookshelves. Good reminder. I need to go look for it now.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Wink Re: 12/11: The Disney Bookshelf Checklist, Updated!

Kevin - have you had a chance to read Lee Cockrell's "Creating Magic - 10 Common Sense Leadership Strategies from a life at Disney"? It's a great read!

• Member of Baxter's Army

Very good article' Kevin, but you list the Walt Disney Imagineering as being written by Bruce Gordon and David Mumford. It was actually Bruce Gordon and Kevin Rafferty.
    Last edited by HMF; 12-11-2008 at 07:16 PM.

• The Real Slimshady

Excellent list Kevin. My favorite is Since the World Began. I think it provides a great balance of the "picture" photo books, imagineering and behind the scenes magic at WDW. I've been hooked on theme park books ever since my father brought one back from a band trip to WDW in 1977 (I was two at the time). The book was The Magic of Disneyland and Walt Disney World by by Valerie Childs. I didn't see this one on your list. It's an over-sized hard-cover jam packed with picture (and not many words) from DL and WDW. My copy is in pretty poor shape as it got a lot of use from my brother and I. The coolest part of the book is the inside cover. It is an art work of about 150 Disney characters. I also have the jigsaw puzzle with the same picture.

Anyway... that book started a tradition. Every trip required that we purchase a new book. So I have many of WDW ones you list as out of print.

I saw only one book about TDL on your list. Is there really not much out there about the parks outside of the US?

Thanks for sharing your library.
    Last edited by Slimshady; 12-13-2008 at 10:32 PM. Reason: grammer

• MiceAge Columnist

Good catch on Rafferty. The Childs book I do have, just listed as merely "Disneyland", which was a variant of the "magic of disneyland" title. Same book, different name.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

haha, Kevin, are you drinking root beer now?

I've always been fond of One Day at Disney. Neat idea with some wonderful photos.

How about the biography by Michael Barrier? THE ANIMATED MAN. I thought it was quite good, with a focus on Disney in light of the history of animation...

Are there any books about Walt Disney's television show? Are the television shows available on DVD? I used to enjoy those shows as a kid, and Walt Disney's little speeches always setup the shows well.

• MiceAge Columnist

There really should be a list like this for DVDs. But that won't be me - I don't have that large a collection. I prefer to collect books, which do not become obsolete as a technology every 15 years (in music, for instance, I lived through mp3s, CDs, cassettes and vinyl, and had just a taste of 8-tracks. This makes you gunshy about buying new stuff all the time).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

• It's pronounced "treesh"

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    Are there any books about Walt Disney's television show? Are the television shows available on DVD? I used to enjoy those shows as a kid, and Walt Disney's little speeches always setup the shows well.
    I think the best book on Disney television is The Wonderful World of Disney Television by Bill Cotter. It's number 228 on Kevin's list. It's out of print, but still available through the Amazon link from a few Amazon Marketplace sellers.

-Jon
    Cleverly disguised as a grown-up
    Did someone say pictures?!? http://triesch.smugmug.com