• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

12/18: Pumped Up, Pt. II

Steve continues the story of the Disneyland Railroad Handcar, Part Two: Walt. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Now 40% less bitter!

Re: 12/18: Pumped Up, Pt. II

The Plantation House restaurant at the Frontierland Station looks awfully familiar. Is it the same building that sits at the New Orleans Square station that is staged to be a station building with the Morse code coming out of it?
    Oo-de-lally!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by AliKzam View Post
    The Plantation House restaurant at the Frontierland Station looks awfully familiar. Is it the same building that sits at the New Orleans Square station that is staged to be a station building with the Morse code coming out of it?
    While the station you see across the tracks was once actually used as the Frontierland station structure and was on the "Park" side of the tracks for use by guests, it's quite different looking from the Plantation House restaurant (one example: The station isn't two stories tall).

• Now 40% less bitter!

Okay, I was secretly hoping we were looking at a defunct piece of Disneyland when we were at that station (like perhaps the restaurant hadn't been up to code for decades). Thanks for clearing that up.
    Nifty story! My dad's from Michigan, so the next time we're in range, I'll see if I can point that out to him. He'll get a kick out of it.
    Oo-de-lally!

• > 150 DL Trips & 3 to 33

Frontierland station structure
    Speaking of the Morse code coming out of that station, is it true that it spells out "help me, I am stuck in the NOS train station"? ;-)

Great article, I am looking forward to part 3.

• always, the freaky cat

I LOVE the story of the handcar, and can't wait for the next installment! (I also love that its origins are somewhat shrouded in mystery.)

• Collision speed....FULL!

That was a short one! Looking forward for the next!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    That was a short one! Looking forward for the next!
    I don't cut 'em, I just write 'em!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I don't cut 'em, I just write 'em!
    I didn't know this actually, I was getting frustrated having to read this in installments and it turns out that it was most likely Al Lutz who I should've directed my frustration at. Don't get me wrong, I love the article but having to read tiny bits of information and waiting a week or two just makes it really difficult to read. It'd be better if they were released every day or have a much bigger piece of the article.

• A Weather Eye Open

especially since this article seems to be quite a bit shorter than some from the past.

steve, what are you going to do once you've chronicled every aspect of the DLRR? are you running out of topics yet?
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by twobluestripes View Post
    especially since this article seems to be quite a bit shorter than some from the past.

steve, what are you going to do once you've chronicled every aspect of the DLRR? are you running out of topics yet?
    I'm not sure it's possible to chronicle every single aspect! There are many DRR topics waiting to be uncovered.

However, I do have other interests--the Columbia article expressed a portion of those interests.

Then there are the other Disney railroads--lots of material there! I've been lucky enough to become friends with the guy that headed the design of the DL Paris trains--hopefully, he and I will collaborate on those exquisite machines.

So, we should have a good supply of articles to last through the years...And by the time that I ever do run out of topics, we will probably need to update the old ones. Who knows? The roundhouse may have a fifth stall by then, necessitating a re-run of my first article here as a columnist on MiceAge!
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 12-18-2008 at 07:07 PM.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Great (though as stated, brief) article, Steve. Looking forward to the next offering. The detective work on the handcar's appearance at the Park is intriguing--as is the misinformation surrounding the handcar itself.