Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Gadgets, Gizmos and Geeks Galore: Disneytim at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show

Intel promoted their InTru 3D technology used by DreamWorks animators for the upcoming March 27th release "Monsters Vs. Aliens."

Meet B.O.B. from "Monsters Vs. Aliens."

Intel, Panasonic, Mitsubishi and many other manufacturers were promoting 3D at CES. HDTV's with increasingly faster refresh rates have opened the door to make 3D viewing in the home commonplace, but what's standing in the way is the lack of an industry standard for 3D. Each manufacturer has its own proprietary 3D technology, setting up a potential format war if 3D catches on with consumers.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Re: Gadgets, Gizmos and Geeks Galore: Disneytim at the 2009 Consumer Electronics Show

Blu-ray was everywhere at CES with stand alone units and HDTV/Blu-ray player combos. Panasonic earned some buzz by launching the first portable Blu-ray disc player. Blu-ray is at a crossroads though. Depending on who you talk to, it either has a very promising future or it's already on life support as video-on-demand continues to grow.

Panasonic gave a lot of attention on Disney Blu-ray titles:

Last edited by disneytim; 01-11-2009 at 02:12 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Fiddling around at the Toshiba booth:

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

At the Sony booth, Sony Pictures Television taped episodes of Jeopardy this week. Here's a look at the set:

Computer kiosks were set up outside the studio so attendees could audition to be on the show at a later date. You had to answer 10 fairly difficult questions (at least I thought they were). People who pass this round will be e-mailed in a few weeks and then move on to the second round--an online test of 50 (!) questions.

In all honesty, I don't like my chances. I haven't watched Jeopardy in a while. I forgot how hard it was.

On the product side, one of the darlings of the Sony booth was their VAIO Lifestyle PC with an 8-inch LCD screen and both 3G mobile and wi-fi capability. Cnet gave it one of their "Best of CES" awards.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

MiceChat, meet RoadMice:

RoadMice are authentic automobile replicas with working headlights that double as wireless computer mice. They come in a wide range of designs including the Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang and Chrysler PT Cruiser. They're available for $44.95 each through the RoadMice website.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Express your individuality with these cool-looking, great-sounding EarPollution headphones from iFrogz. On their website you can choose from a wide variety of colors and patterns for all six EarPollution components (headband, sidepieces, hinges, speakers, ear cushions and artwork). There are over 200,000 possible combinations.

These customizable headphones come in two designs: the lightweight Fallout (left) and DJ-quality NervePipes. Both are priced at $34.99 plus S&H.

BTW, the furry ear cushions should be available to order online in about a week.

Pyramat builds game chairs that surround you with the sounds of your favorite video games and iPod tunes. They recently signed an agreement with Disney to develop new themed designs such as Fantasia . . .

. . . and what appears to be Tron:

Both chairs will be in stores by Christmas and will retail for $199.
    Last edited by disneytim; 01-12-2009 at 11:02 PM.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

More big booths on the show floor:

• Banned User

What about the flexible/bendable screen television? Who was showcasing that? I know it's out there. I just don't remember who it is that is marketing it.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disney-fan-reborn View Post
    What about the flexible/bendable screen television? Who was showcasing that? I know it's out there. I just don't remember who it is that is marketing it.
    During the opening keynote, Microsoft showed off a prototype that looked more like a prop. It didn't appear to have a lot of functionality. A lighweight, flexible monitor is definitely in the works though. I didn't come across another one at the show, but I'm sure other manufacturers are working on it as well.

Some other items of interest I didn't get around to yet:

Former NBA star Clyde Drexler put in an appearance at the Haier booth.

The home electronics manufacturer has a partnership with the NBA. Also showing up over the weekend to grip, grin and sign autographs were former Boston Celtics Robert Parish and Bill Walton.

Simcraft showed off their military-grade simulator. It connects to a PC via USB and has three degrees of motion for auto racing and flight simulators. Simcraft's clients include several professional auto racing teams and the Department of Defense.

Want one? It'll set you back about 50 grand.

Simcraft is working on a compact simulator for consumers that'll retail for under $5,000. They hope to have it in stores in 2010.

Mattel introduced Mindflex, a game that will challenge you to navigate a small purple ball around a tabletop obstacle course using only your mind. With sensors attached to your head and earlobes, you control the airflow of a small blower that holds the ball aloft. The harder you concentrate, the harder the blower blows and the higher the ball goes. I found that controlling the ball had less to do with concentration and more to do with facial tension. The more I clenched my teeth and tightened my facial muscles, the higher the ball went. The sales rep assured me it didn't work that way for everyone. We'll see. Mindflex will be available this Christmas for $79.99.

• Minion

Blog Entries

That mindflex thing looks pretty cool... I really wish I could have made it to the whole show but we just got soo tired so quickly that we decided to not see the whole thing...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Snow_White_Raven View Post
    That mindflex thing looks pretty cool... I really wish I could have made it to the whole show but we just got soo tired so quickly that we decided to not see the whole thing...
    CES can pretty exhausting. Like a crowded day at Disneyland, you have to accept that you just can't see it all in one trip, so you have to pick and choose. I spent 4 days on the show floors at both the LVCC and the Venetian/Sands Expo and still didn't see everything.

Away from the noise of the convention halls, in the relative quiet of the Las Vegas Hilton, Vestalife displayed their line of audio products. They have some of the more fun and elegant designs in home electronics, specializing in iPod/iPhone speaker docks.

The Ladybug, with its fold-out speaker/wing design comes in solid colors and limited edition styles like this . . .

. . . not to mention their trendier Henri Bendel designs:

The Ladybug works with most dockable iPods, has a built-in subwoofer and comes with a full-function remote.

Vestalife's newest design, available later this year, is the softer looking Firefly. It's compatible with most iPods and iPhones and has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery for easy portability.

Behind the Firefly is the Jewelbox, another upcoming design with many of the features of the Firefly, but without the subwoofer. Both the Firefly and the Jewelbox scored "Best of Show" awards at the recent MacWorld conference.

• Minion

Blog Entries

Trust me I understand CES all to well... This is my 3rd year going to the event and the first year I went I was actually working the event... I used to work for the company that builds the show... This was the first year that I could only go one day so it kinda sucked not being able to go the entire time and actually having to pick and choose...
    Please help me raise money for children's hospitals by clicking the extra life image.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Thanking the Academy

Blog Entries

During CES, iShow hosted a reception at the NextGen Home Experience. Located in southeast Las Vegas, just across the street from Wayne Newton's ranch, this 5,300 square foot demonstration home showcases the latest in green, disaster resistant construction and state of the art technology. It will be featured during a number of Vegas trade shows later this year and will be televised on numerous decorating and design shows.

The NextGen Home Experience demonstration home (artist's rendering)

The house is constructed from insulated concrete forms and is 95% more energy efficient than standard homes. It has a non-combustible stone coated steel roof that can withstand winds up to 120 mph and garage doors made from 100% recycled wood.

Let's take a look inside . . .

The house was not completely finished when we had our tour. Many of the rooms were unfurnished and there was an occasional wire or pipe protruding from the walls.

The leather tile in the library (and makeshift cloak room) off the main foyer was made from recycled BMW car seat scraps.

The living room has energy efficient windows and a gas fireplace made from natural sandstone.

The view from the upstairs balcony:

Adjacent to the kitchen, the family room sports wood floors and stone walls. The Mitsubishi flat panel TV is equipped with Windows Media Center running off a 12 terabyte media server.

Like most parties, everyone ends up hanging out in the kitchen . . .

. . . but not every kitchen has a countertop made from 550 pounds of recycled glass.

The downstairs powder room, like the rest of the house, has a warm modern look.

Also downstairs, the VIP suite has a Seura HDTV that doubles as a mirror when the TV is turned off.

The upstairs vestibule, as seen from an outdoor balcony, is accessible by elevator or stairs from the foyer.

A morning kitchen leads to the master suite and comes with a wet bar, wine cooler and built-in coffee/espresso/cappucino maker.

The master suite has wood floors, automated blinds . . .

. . . and another mirrored HDTV.

The NextGen Home calls itself the "first to the future," but there's nothing futuristic about it. Everything you see in the house is available now. All you have to do is figure out how to pay for it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12