• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

1/15: Sing and Run

Kevin takes a look at American Idol Merchandise, and runs in the Goofy Challenge. Discuss his article here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: 1/15: Sing and Run

Thanks as always for the new info. I for one have been hooked on AI for the past 4 years or so. I'm looking forward to seeing the park version, although like others I have my doubts that they'll find enough quality performers on any given day to be worth much. Rather, it'll just be the best of the mediocre, which is pretty hard to sit through. I'm not a karaoke fan, and I'm afraid this will be much more karaoke than quality entertainment.

Oh, and I have to remind you once again, Kevin, in my usual superior and haughty manner, that it's NOT the Adventurer's Club - it's the Adventurers Club. Small diff, but for some reason that apostrophe bothers me.

• I Miss Carnation Plaza

Andrew wrote:
    Drew Carey's Sounds Dangerous (one of the worst shows in the entire existence of Disney parks)
    That's pretty harsh, isn't it? No, it's not very high tech, but I found it a reasonable diversion, and it fits in with the theme of the Studio nicely. The binaural recording is actually quite realistic, IMO, and is one of the better demonstrations of that medium.

I think it's an accurate description of the attraction. It suffers from a lack of repeat business. If you have seen it once there is no need to see it again. It's an A ticket attraction and that's probably giving it too much credit.

Regarding attraction specific merchandise: Even most of the Pirates merchandise has more to do with the movies than the ride.

Every trip, I find myself wanting to give Disney my money. But I leave disappointed in the offerings.

• Circle of Ancients

Congrats on the Goofy Kevin. Read your blog and thought it was great. You should share it on the boards for those who didn't want to venture over there. It was a good read.

I wanted to do the Disneyland 1/2 marathon last year but didn't think I could do it. I don't know why I never thought of running 1/2 at a 12-mile pace (doable) and then walking the 2nd half. Maybe I'll re-think my plan for this year.

I also need to check into that biofreeze stuff. Wonder if it would help my shin-splints that I get on road-running, but not on the treadmill.

• MiceAge Columnist

I wrote the "runner's story" as part of the update originally and realized it was getting pretty introspective, navel-gazing, and just looked kind of focused on ME rather than the race or Disney, so I decided to snip it out.

I also separately wrote up the training for the marathon, but that one was starting to look egotistical, so I just made that its own blog entry. I'm trying to be sensitive to the multiple audiences around here
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Pilot EdForceOne

well I think this puts it in perspective... look at how popular who wants to be a millionaire was on TV... and transformed well into a gameshow you could do in the park.

The game at the park is already gone.. the TV show is long long gone off primetime. Seems like ages ago right? Well just recently was the 10th anniversary of the US premiere. Just 10 years! So the park attraction lasted a fraction of that. How many 'anchor' attractions at Disney do you expect to last just a few years? Sad really.

AI is already on its downwards side of its popularity curve.. and they are just opening the attraction now. I think this one is going to be either completely empty or gutted in just a matter of years. $10 says it lasts even less then the Millionaire game.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• When Will It Return?

^ For the 10th Anniversary, there are rumors blowing of a Millionaire return to primetime complete with a fresh from the canned Million Dollar Password, Regis Philbin.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Many of these judge performers are apparently from the Adventurer's Club (it's tempting to speculate that the impending opening of Idol may have been one of the reasons to close the Adventurer's Club, but I have no evidence on that basis so it's best not to make that leap automatically).
    Eh... I wouldn't be too quick to go digging for any more info on that. It wasn't uncommon for performers at the Adventurers Club or Comedy Warehouse to work on other shows across the park. I recall a meeting with someone in Entertainment that talked of a time when the actor for the bird show at Animal Kingdom got a cold and they went through the call list searching for a replacement. Turns out, one of the CMs at the Adventurers Club used to be in the bird show and was able to fill in. I think those actors had a lot of other experience at Disney before and after the AC.
    I worked at Walt Disney World as a member of the Disney College Program in Spring 2008 and Summer 2010. Now, I build software, design live events, and frequently make the short trek from Costa Mesa to Disneyland with my Annual Passport in hand.

• at one with the Mouse

Just FYI, there have been non CM soft openings at AI since Thursday. Earlier today in fact, park attendance was low (normal for the season) and they still managed to pack the AI theater.

• A Weather Eye Open

Quote Originally Posted by Lebeau View Post
    Regarding attraction specific merchandise: Even most of the Pirates merchandise has more to do with the movies than the ride.

Every trip, I find myself wanting to give Disney my money. But I leave disappointed in the offerings.
    here, here! i don't think they realize that park lovers would swipe up merch themed to their favorite attractions, especially if well designed with graphics and stuff and not too cheesy looking.
    when you don't live near the park, it's kind of a badge of pride to have been to disneyland / world and you are proud to wear your merch to find other people who have been and who love that attraction to talk to and bond with, or people who have never been so that you can tell them how fabulous it is! everyone's seen disney movies, but not everyone's been to a disney park.
    "And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by" (John Masefield)