Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/3: Star Detours

The Star Tours Saga, Nobama, New DCA Timetable, More... Discuss it all here!

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: 3/3: Star Detours

thanks for the update! this:
    And yes, once DCA proves itself and Tony Baxter gets the green-light for his big budget retheme of Tomorrowland, the Astro Orbiter will return to its rightful place atop the PeopleMover station.
    was my fave thing to read. i hope it comes about in the long run
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• former CM

Thumbs up Thanks, Al! Please keep the updates coming!

Al, what's up with your recent prolific weekly updates?! New diet? Exercise? In love?
    Whatever has caused this new Super-Al, please keep it up! And THANK YOU!

1. Any update on when DCA's Aladdin show will have its closing night?
    When The Main Street Electrical Parade "Closed forever!"
    it brought in millions of guests who wanted to see it for the "last" time.
    I (and many others--maybe just tens of thousands) would like to see Aladdin again before this short, Broadway-scale show closes. I think it would be in Disney's best interests to (PLEASE) announce Aladdin's exact closing date and announce the date of the last currently popular "Dreams" fireworks show.

2. When "The Little Mermaid" ride opens I think it would be a nice gesture to invite Jeffrey Katzenberg. He is obviously passionate about animation and he did contribute to an extraordinary second golden-age of Disney animation.

3. How much in taxes will Lasseter pay for his benefit of frequently using the suite above Pirates? Sorry, John. Just curious.

4. Al, you wrote, "What has the managers and hourly Cast Members out in the parks and at the hotels laughing hysterically is the sudden need for many TDA types to be seen walking the property with their nametag on."
    I know conflict energizes drama and enlivens Disney updates, but unless the culture has totally changed from about '86-'87 when (I think) I last worked on the Jungle Cruise, most Disneyland cast members who care enough to follow the recent updates/job terminations are probably feeling bad for anyone who might lose her or his job.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-03-2009 at 06:01 AM.

• or CBF

Great update Al.

I like the new short bursts of info updates rather than the wait a month or two and read a seven page long update.
    MHTSEIAHTECTESVEIBIECSETR

Find me on:Facebook / Twitter
    (Send me a message saying you are from MC)

I am surprised TDO would put off the cost of sticking a new film inside Star Tours. That attraction is in need of some refurbishment anyhow, and could use a re-freshening. The past several times I was on it at DHS, it seemed like it could use it.

From what I understand, they've been working on testing this attraction in the old Body Wars simulators inside the Wonders of Life pavillion at EPCOT - so I don't think it would be too entirely costly to bring it to Hollywood Studios if it's going to be functioning within a defunct attraction anyways.

• Infinitized!

Good update Al.

Except I had a bowl of cereal rather than a croissant slathered in preserves, and because of the economic situation, I can't afford a latte right now.

Best part in this update was the Tomorrowland stuff. Hope it happens.

• A-NET-FAN

Great update!

My Thoughts:

*Just because one man decided to jump off the balcony at the Disneyland Hotel and kill himself isnt a good enough reason for them to eliminate the balconies completely. I personally enjoy them and appreciate them in the hotels I stay.

* Cool info on Walts Offices. I was thrilled to see Walts office at Disney World in June! Was a great display....I hope they dont send it back to Disneyland. I say let each US Disney Park keep one of the offices.

* Cant wait to see what they decide to do with Tomorrowland next! I road STAR TOURS at DHS and feel it is in need of an update. It was still good tho and that says a lot coming from somone who could care less about Star Wars.

Hi Al,

when i read about the resorts in Anaheim, Orlando and Tokyo sharing costs I can;t help asking myself if Paris is up for something as well. Over the last few months there have been a lot of rumors about a Ratatouille darkride, cloning of The Little Mermaid, building Splash Mountain, introducing Star Tours 2.0.... and now noting. Silence.

How hard has the crisis hit the Paris plans and is there a chance of Paris sharing costs for developing rides with the other resorts world wide?

I get some of the reasons for closing Remember, but why is there a need to get rid of the hub launch sites. Nothing really closes during their use. Buzz is still open, Plaza Inn is still open, Coke Corner is still open, etc.

I felt compelled to add something I just read on Screamscape that contradicts what Lutz has to say about Star Tours II in Florida:

Rumor - (3/2/09) The latest buzz from our sources about the Star Tours 2 project is that installation could begin now in early to mid 2010 and shooting for a late 2010 or early 2011 grand opening. This is all very early and not set in stone, so expect this schedule to shift quite a bit before it is locked down. This is also only the current prorposed schedule for the WDW version… there no telling if the Disneyland version will follow the same timetable, go early or go late.
    It would make sense - why get a test version of the ride going in the old Wonders of Life pavilion, only to not actually apply it nearby?

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

I am EXTREMELY upset about Remember. I guess I can understand the reason from the park's point of view, with all the complaints about Fantasyland closing and stuff, but as a park guest I am angry that they are being scaled down. So this means that the 55th fireworks probably won't even be as good. I am SO upset. Does this mean Tink will even fly anymore with the Matterhorn walkway being open now????
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Blog Entries

While I'm happy to see that work is being done to redo Star Tours still, you can't imagine how upset I am to hear that the idiots in Orlando don't see the necessity in updating this attraction. If they don't see how that could really help put DHS back on the map then I continue to think they're clueless with how to run that park, and DHS continues to become more and more irrelevant to me as a Disney theme park.

• Diamond In The Rough

Quote Originally Posted by michielv View Post
    Hi Al,

when i read about the resorts in Anaheim, Orlando and Tokyo sharing costs I can;t help asking myself if Paris is up for something as well. Over the last few months there have been a lot of rumors about a Ratatouille darkride, cloning of The Little Mermaid, building Splash Mountain, introducing Star Tours 2.0.... and now noting. Silence.

How hard has the crisis hit the Paris plans and is there a chance of Paris sharing costs for developing rides with the other resorts world wide?
    This occurred to me when I read about the Star Tours cost problem - were the money-men at Paris given the opportunity to share the brunt of a ST update?
    I'd have thought it was the obvious thing to do - get every park that has ST to share the cost of new one.

"I'm gettin' kind of fond of you, kid.
    Not that I want to pick out curtains or anything."

• Missing Main Street

So so sad about 'Remember'.

By the sounds of it, we won't get a chance to see it one more time. Too far away, with a trip planned later this year. I understand about the difficulties it causes, but *sigh*

That was the most amazing fireworks show I'd ever seen. Made me cry every time.

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HelloKimmie View Post
    So so sad about 'Remember'.

By the sounds of it, we won't get a chance to see it one more time. Too far away, with a trip planned later this year. I understand about the difficulties it causes, but *sigh*

That was the most amazing fireworks show I'd ever seen. Made me cry every time.
    Made me cry everytime, too. It kills me that I won't get to have a proper goodbye. I saw it during President's weekend, not knowing it was most likely my last time seeing it. I wonder, since they don't want Fantasyland closed anymore, are we ever going to see a fireworks show as great as Remember??? I am so depressed. I was hoping that the 55th fireworks would be even better and have even more exciting new pyro. But who knows what's going to happen now...
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast