Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• Special Agent

Actually I don't think you're that far off. I wouldn't put it past Eisner to believe his legacy was damaged by the claims Roy made when he went off on his own. Things got fixed up pretty fast once Roy went public.

But I also think that it's Matt's sincere belief that by spending the money now, and increasing the value of the park, he will be able to get folks to come back for the 50th at a higher price. It's a risk to be sure, but it is a smart business move. Either they will see increased per cap spending for the 50th, or they won't. If they do, DL will be back on the path of glory, and if they don't, I expect that HISTA will be replaced by a Chicken Little show by 2008.

In the mean time though, I think their only option is to cut costs in ways that they feel have a limited impact on the guest experience. Ok so maybe the quality of the dining experience will decrease a little, but at least the rides will look clean and safe and run smoothly. Since Matt and Greg seem so much more oriented with the attractions, it makes since that other areas would suffer. Just as attractions suffered when Pressler and Cynthia changed the focus to food and merch.

• Santa Barbara, CA

Thanks for your direct insights. I'm going to the park today (like right now) and we will be eating at our favorite Disney Restaurants...all in the Hotel! I'm really pulling for Matt and will pay full price if that's what it takes to support quality and restoration of the guest experience.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

• Sucka

I was wondering if anyone has noticed of the quality of service or food has gone done since this has all started (sometime in late Jan.), or if you can just tell how happy the CMs are.

• Fun is where you find it

modeling after fast food?

I was wondering whether this program is modeled somewhat after what's been happening in the fast food and quick-casual restaurants in So Cal (it could be nation wide - but i live here ;-) ).

Seems like many restaurants have the help wanted signs up all the time. When I was in high school and college the places wanted fewer employees because it was costly to manage all that paperwork for so many people that having layers to do some of the work and most people to be flexible in their schedules provided the owners a chance to provide multiple work schedules and keep the "roster" to a nice number.

Now, with computing the way it is, it's no trouble to have a hundred employees who work 10 hours a week (or 20). the more you hire the less pressure there is to provide any kind of additional compensation, etc., and so it's very cost effective. So you have a large staff but it's cheaper because insurance and other ancillary costs are so high.

So - if the parks were to do this it would force most of the work force to be in the lower brackets with only a few hours per week - so costs not directly related to running the day-to-day (insurance, health care, etc.) would be minized. And the computer can figure out the schedule, pay rates, etc.

Someone was slacking? no matter, that person only worked a few hours a week anyway. If you cut them it would be a short issue and then a replacement could be found. Not a huge hole. Well, except for the quality of service and knowledgabel staff. Can you imagine at the parks? what's in that menu item? Uh, gee, i dunno. I think it's good....

Now - I am not an expert in this - just something I have observed and wonder if it is true and has an impact..

Quote Originally Posted by tabacco
    So wait, if they're condensing the whole Ct/CR/etc. system into just part-time and full-time, does that mean they're eliminating seasonal cast members altogether?
    From what I've heard, but take this with a grain of salt, yes. CTs will have the option as always to convert to CRs, but I do believe the CT positions are being eliminated as an option all together.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by FromWithin
    Yes the rumors are already spreading about this...
    As far as I've heard they do want to try a resort wide implementation. (I'm out in Resort Parking) Managment has been trying to eliminate the CR-25 position for a while now and they believe that this might do it!
    Yep its true, I was reading some of the maintanance papers in the breakroom/electrical room at my attraction and I stumbled across a union flyer with the company's offer for a contract, and it DID include a provision that would require anyone getting benefits to work over 30 hours a week instead of 25 OR B status, and that will probably fold out exactly like the foods status system. Odd that they would put this in a maintanance contract as 99% actually work 40 hour weeks, the only logical explanation would be management wanting to roll it out resort wide. The sad thing is i guess there will be no such thing as a 20 hour B if this continues to roll out. The good news is the attractions/stores/main entrance/custodial negotiating team will do a MUCH better job than the foods union which has been very week no doubt with the tons of problems it has gone through in the past year.

• Sucka

Quote Originally Posted by dlrfanatic
    Yep its true, I was reading some of the maintanance papers in the breakroom/electrical room at my attraction and I stumbled across a union flyer with the company's offer for a contract, and it DID include a provision that would require anyone getting benefits to work over 30 hours a week instead of 25 OR B status, and that will probably fold out exactly like the foods status system. Odd that they would put this in a maintanance contract as 99% actually work 40 hour weeks, the only logical explanation would be management wanting to roll it out resort wide. The sad thing is i guess there will be no such thing as a 20 hour B if this continues to roll out. The good news is the attractions/stores/main entrance/custodial negotiating team will do a MUCH better job than the foods union which has been very week no doubt with the tons of problems it has gone through in the past year.
    The reason they want to put the whole 30 hours in order to keep your benefits is because foods has agreed if facilities agrees to the "CR 30" than they will go along with it. And remeber, that means you can't ER past your 30 hours, if you do you'll probably get a letter in the mail (just like a CR-25 would now) saying you didn't get 30 hours this week. Which means if you don't work over 30 hours, you will lose your FT status. Still I don't see how facilities would have to worry about getting less than 30 hours, since something always breaks and needs attention.

•   
    • Disney Dream 10/23!!

Quote Originally Posted by bjvb15
    And remeber, that means you can't ER past your 30 hours, if you do you'll probably get a letter in the mail (just like a CR-25 would now) saying you didn't get 30 hours this week. Which means if you don't work over 30 hours, you will lose your FT status.
    We had a huge meeting about all of this, and they said as long as you were showing up to all of your shifts, this wouldn't be an issue. Sometimes the park is just really dead.

•   
    • Disney Dream 10/23!!

and they're not getting rid of ct's, just RPT's.

• wasting time

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver
    Disneyland isn't making money. Higher operating costs are completely erasing what meager profits the AP holders are bringing in.

Thank you for telling us the truth 'Marcie'

• Disney Dad & Disney Nuts

Disneyland not making profits???

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver
    They wouldn't need to continually evaluate the way they do business, if the way they did business consistently returned a profit.

Disneyland isn't making money. Higher operating costs are completely erasing what meager profits the AP holders are bringing in.

Disneyland has no other choice but to reevaluate their operating expenses and try to cut costs where they can. Even though it means that the good CMs will be forced to quit, and the guests will have to deal with CMs who don't understand their locations - that's just the way it has to be as long as folks are only willing to pay a discounted admission.
    As far as I last heard the Parks have been holding up the company bottom line for Decades. Despite all the missteps made lately in the current corporate regime, the Parks keep chugging along. the only factor that affects the Parks bottom line is Weather. (except for DCA - that is another story and another drain on resources when combined into the "profit of Disneyland Resort.)

Now if we want to talk about segements of the park that are underacheiving - then the restuarants in general -especially The French Market seem to be underperforming as of late.

I think the park resturants suffer from all of the ODV carts around and that the bulk of todays park visitors are comprised of AP holders who most likely patronize the ODV carts more frequently than other park visitors do.
    Visitors are still going to spend money on food and drink in the park, however most visitor rely on the ODV cart now than in past years when people would take a break from the day to eat at sit down establishments. I call this the "Fast Food Mentality" Give it to me now - 5 churros and a Coke please!

The only reversal of this trend can be seen on rainy days in the parks when ODV carts scurry for cover and park guests are left only with Resturant service - the numbers naturally increase to the sit down locations favor.

There seem to be only a few sit down establishments that are resistant to this flux - that being The Blue Bayou (Which has it's own Cachet or attraction if you will), the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor (Glorified ODV in my book since seating is limited and there is no "Table" wait staff) and the Market House (again I consider this as Glorified ODV) these establishments seem perpertually busy throughout the business day with small to minimal downturns.

Lastly, i could go on longer on this issue - The AP holders bring in little to the companies bottom line (other than the once a year renewal bump 615K times an average of $250 per pass = 15,370,000 per year) but this pales in comparison to the millions made via the Park hopper tickets, We AP holders have it made, the return on investment is great for the AP holders.
    I am an AP holder and tend not to splurge too much in the food department while on property - unless that is if I am staying on property which I do about 3 times a year. I then notice I spend more money at Downtown Disney establishments for dinner and reserve the park time to "Snacking" I.E. ODV. I do however tend to use my discount on merchandise which really only stiffs the city of Anaheim since they do not receive full tax revenue on sales (they only receive 90% of the tax coming to them since the basis for tax is changed) so in a sense, AP holders are not great for Disneyland or the region as a whole!

WDI

Quote Originally Posted by WDI

There seem to be only a few sit down establishments that are resistant to this flux - that being The Blue Bayou (Which has it's own Cachet or attraction if you will), the Gibson Girl Ice Cream Parlor (Glorified ODV in my book since seating is limited and there is no "Table" wait staff) and the Market House (again I consider this as Glorified ODV) these establishments seem perpertually busy throughout the business day with small to minimal downturns.WDI
    Strangely Markethouse is not even part of foods, it's store operations. Grandfathered in with 50 year old health codes allows it to be so. Plus we're mainstreet, and mainstreets ALWAYS busy. :o

• Santa Barbara, CA

Quote Originally Posted by mrmainstreet
    Strangely Markethouse is not even part of foods, it's store operations. Grandfathered in with 50 year old health codes allows it to be so. Plus we're mainstreet, and mainstreets ALWAYS busy. :o

Agree a mundo! I'd consider most of what is eaten at Market House having little to do with food. I'm sure glad to hear that DL can avoid complying with those bothersome health codes and just serve the stuff. Now I know why the coffee pours so slow.

Ok..I'm just kidding. don't plant a bomb in the party line phone.

:devil:
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

[FONT=Arial Narrow]

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut
    We had a great turn of events when Matt and Greg were brought to the park. Disneyland will be much better once we rid ourselves of this ego driven woman Mary Niven. I encourage those who are affected by this to take appropriate action and let their union and Disneyland know how they feel. I will be present with protesters on May 4, 2005 (Disneyland’s big press day) regarding their theft of my money and already have members of the credentialed media who will be present to get my message out.
    Hey! I forgot to ask about how that went. Your protest that is. I didn't see anything in the media about it. Did I miss something?? :confused:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12