• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/30: In Earnest, Pt. III

Steve continues the story of the Disneyland Railroad's Ernest S. Marsh, Part Three. Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• FastPass n00b

Re: 4/30: In Earnest, Pt. III

I like how they returned it to its former glory and undid all that crap that happened to the poor engine over the decades. It was a beautiful engine when it was new, but it was obviously mistreated and not really cared about until Disney got their hands on it. Now it's truly cared for!

These engines, like most powerful classic pieces of machinery, seem to take on a life of their own and definitely have distinct personalities. They are not "living" in terms of a dictionary definition, but to its operators and fans, these trains are every bit personified as a 1970 Chevelle SS or 1959 Cadillac Deville (and for the Ford fans, a 1969 Mustang fastback). These machines are almost like people in terms of how their operators feel about them. It's SO depressing to see a classic piece of machinery mistreated as the decades roll by.

• Closed Account

Well, in keeping with your automotive analogy, the locomotive that became the Marsh was basically a Ford Courier. It wasn't as big as a full-size pickup, and was just a utilitarian piece of equipment that got banged around a lot, dented and rusted out during the course of its service life.

As with steam locomotives, you don't see too many Couriers around much any more, either!

• U. B. Bold

Another excellent and fascinating installment Steve.
    To draw out the analogy to living things a little further, I might be tempted to think that after a long and useful life, little narrow gauge workhorses like this dream of ending up re-born in a heaven like Disneyland.

Sounds like a good plot line for the next Disney-Pixar film.
    Please visit my Big Thunder/Disney Inspired Model Railroad

Dream big. Do what you love.

Great read as always Steve, it would be nice to ride on the tender with you and geek out on the conversation between you and the engineers

To the earlier post, I like the idea of Disneyland being like heaven for these little blue collar trains.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BigThunder View Post
    I might be tempted to think that after a long and useful life, little narrow gauge workhorses like this dream of ending up re-born in a heaven like Disneyland.
    This idea seems to pervade my thoughts when I write about the Disneyland trains. As any of the DRR engineers will tell you, each engine most definitely has it's own personality, and I, too, like to think that spending their "retirement" years gussied up in shiny paint and brass, lovingly cared for and maintained, is something the engines truly "enjoy!"

Thanks for another great chapter in the life of the Ernest S. Marsh, Steve. Having a better understanding of these engines and where they came from makes them come alive to me in a way that's much different from discussions about classic cars. While both cars and locomotives came off of assembly lines without a thought to their place in culture, the thing I like about the engines is that they were designed for work, not play, so keeping them in working condition long enough to be rebuilt and refurbished was much more difficult.

After more than 80 years and thousands of work hours and miles, to see the engines still in use is a testament to how well they were constructed and the devotion that Disney and other fans have towards them. It's great to see that some of them can outlive their original "usefulness" and become new again.

Thanks again, Steve. I'm looking forward to Part IV!

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Steve
    Great Job on shareing about DISNEYLAND
    locomotive's and all the History back that is lot's of work !
    I do enjoy it...
    I can find a way to be in one the locomtive just take one trip
    around Disneyland ,I can not tell you how that make heart feel!
    Any way GOOD JOB and Thank You!