Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/19: Princess Cruises

Fantasmc, Fireworks & Parades; D23 Follow-Up. Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• The line's too long...

Re: 5/19: Princess Cruises

Ugh... they're planning to close my favorite FL dark ride Pinocchio right when I'll probably be visiting. Why don't they wait until after Labor Day?

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

correction:

Dumbo has had time on the wire. No pictures because I don't want to get in trouble, but I saw it first hand.

• Iron-Clad Allie

Princes Cruises is quite the witty title for this update edition, Al. It would be great fun to ride along on the Mark Twain with Princess Tiana, her procession of musicians, and other characters from Princess and the Frog. Glad John Lasseter had imagineers and those envolved in the production of the PatF movie take those river cruises.

Disney has it's priorities straight with respect to it's decision to place far more emphasis on extending capital outlay to coming new attractions than on the 55th aniversary celebration. While I may attend the celebration, these glorified parties usually inflate attendance to the point that extensive lines for any new attraction openings practically cause one to lose a sizable chunk of their day waiting...and waiting...and w--a--i--t--i--n--g to ride.

If one attends a celebration, it really makes more sense to simply enjoy the event, while shelving any new rides for a less crowded day. With this in mind, I couldn't care less whether StarTours 2.0 officially debuts during the 55th. Opening the upgraded ride reboot with all the bells and whistles attached for the long haul is all that matters. That being said, I am happy that Disneyland isn't letting WDW pea-brained bean counting accountaneers drag us down while waiting to see if they are going to pitch anything in for design and development of the ride.

Good riddance to Jack's Sunglass Shack, Corn Dog Castle and Souvenir 66. Each were an eyesore and a waste of space. Bring on Little Mermaid!!!
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Iron-Clad Allie

Quote Originally Posted by Kritter View Post
    correction:

Dumbo has had time on the wire. No pictures because I don't want to get in trouble, but I saw it first hand.

Dumbo apparently doesn't care too much for being sandbagged. The big floppy eared one is apparently anxious to start perfoming for us. ...
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Al says, "Annual Passholders can park for free at GardenWalk and they have state-of-the-art huge screens and sound systems in theaters there that can show the CinemaScope short the way it should be seen and heard. "

Is this different than the normal 3 hours free parking (4 with theater validation) that everyone gets? Does Garden Walk really give AP holders free all day parking or something?

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

Park for free for the screening and reception that he proposes in his update, doesn't mention lingering there for the entire day. You'd presumbly have to leave their parking structure and try to get into one of Disney's later on. Or the DLR could pay for X number of spaces for the day.

Although having the event offsite does open it up to a larger number of attendees but also removes everyone from Disneyland on it's anniversary date. Perhaps renting a couple of the AMC's screens for a few hours and halving the theatre lobby area (as they've done for previous film premieres) for a reception makes more logistic sense. Park at the park, walk into the park afterwards.

BTW it was mentioned to me that the studios' special events department will be very involved with the coordination of the D23 member events such as the studio and archive tours. Huge difference in quality and professionalism with respect to their handling and execution. Excellent move for D23's future.
    Last edited by ALIASd; 05-19-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ride Warrior View Post
    Princes Cruises is quite the witty title for this update edition, Al. It would be great fun to ride along on the Mark Twain with Princess Tiana, her procession of musicians, and other characters from Princess and the Frog. Glad John Lasseter had imagineers and those envolved in the production of the PatF movie take those river cruises.
    But doesn't it ruin the theme of the New Orleans section of Frontierland?

Sounds like a crowd pleaser, like the Pirates Lair on Tom Sawyer Island!

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

While it makes sense to have the screening at Gardenwalk, there are larger theatres in the area they could show it at.

I'm thinking the Edwards Newport Cinemas is a good choice. It's main theatre has a capacity of over 1100 and has the largest movie screen on the west coast. Additinonally it is one of the hosts of the Newport Beach Film Festival held every April. So it is a very nice theatre and one of the best movie houses in Orange County.
    Gardenwalk is close to Disneyland but the Newport Cinema can hold a lot more. Just an idea...

• DCA FTW!

Great update AL, looking forward to this summers offerings and very happy to see Star Tours getting a time frame for it's update. I didn't know the world of wonder parade was cancelled do they have any plans to bring it back later on?
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

•   
    • Minion

Like Sue, I noticed the Archive event. Afterward I imediately signed up.

I am likely never to be employed by the company, and I would jump at the chance to visit the archive.

Ok, Disney, you have my number now...

The Main Street Electrical Parade belongs only on Main Street USA, and I'm looking forward to the day of its return home to Disneyland. The parade looks woefully out of place at DCA. And Main Street doesn't seem the same without it.

• Creative Director

Quote Originally Posted by Coast21 View Post
    Great update AL, looking forward to this summers offerings and very happy to see Star Tours getting a time frame for it's update. I didn't know the world of wonder parade was cancelled do they have any plans to bring it back later on?
    I think he is referring to the fact that the WOW parade was considered for opening this year, a year ahead of the 55th anniversary, and that was canceled due to concerns with the tech and moving parts (as there was issues with Pixar Play at that time). Haven't heard anything about it being canceled for 55th, so it should be arriving next year...just not this year.
    Unless somebody knows something else...

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

woefully out of place...

Where have I heard that language before?

Does anyone know if the screening for Disneyland U.S.A. has footage not found in the Disneyland U.S.A. DVD of the Walt Disney Treasure Collection? That "People and Places" segment sounds familiar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast