Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

9/29: Farewell to Eisner

Now it's Time to Say Goodbye, A Few Thoughts Upon a Look Back. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Former Epcot CM

Re: 9/29: Farewell to Eisner

Fantastic article. Refreshing to hear a Disney coloumnist, or a Disney fan for that matter, being optimistic for once and having a head level enough to see the good through the recent bad.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

I enjoyed the article. It's nice to hear someone actually say something positive about all of the good things Eisner has done and remind us that there's a lot of things at Disney we wouldn't have been able to enjoy if it hadn't been for Eisner.

Great article!
    I too thank and toast Michael and wish him well!
    Thanks for saving Disney Michael!

• e komo mai

So long, farewell, auf Wiedersehen, good night...

Good article.

Yes, I too agree...an very well written article. We do need to be reminded what Disney might have been without Michael Eisner and Frank Wells coming on board in 1984.

I actually wrote Michael a letter a few months ago wishing him well as he begins the transition away for being CEO. I did mention that there have been some disapointments and rough times over the years, but I basically kept the letter very positive. I also recalled him having served me a hot dog and coke at Coke Corner at Disneyland at one of the Disney Family Holiday Parties many years ago, and how really exciting it was to help him pick out some special watches one time he was in Disneyland doing some shopping. Surprisingly enough a few weeks ago I got my letter back in a Disney envelope and Michael had personally written a note of thanks for my comments. We may not have always agreed with what he did, but again as Kevin points out, he did do a lot of good for the company. It will be interesting to see the direction the next CEO takes.

Thanks Kevin for reminding all of us.

• time to go

Angry Ooooh, Dr. Yee!! Spelling does count!

Terrific article, indeed.

But, Holy Bard of Avon, Batman!! It's "Marc Antony," NOT "Marc Anthony." (Marc Anthony is married to JLo. Duh!)

I'd gladly cut you some slack on this, but crikey! You've got those three little letters after your name, dude. You should know better!

(Sorry for the rant. But the MiceAge bashers are out in full force these days, and they don't need any further fuel to add to the fire.)

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: Ooooh, Dr. Yee!! Spelling does count!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSkyDriveBy
    But, Holy Bard of Avon, Batman!! It's "Marc Antony," NOT "Marc Anthony."
    A ringing endorsement for not using Auto-Correct in Microsoft Word. I had better delete that particular auto-correction. Good catch. I didn't even notice while proofreading.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Iron-Clad Allie

The overall Company shows much promise now, under the leadership of Iger and Rasulo, and with Oimet at the helm of the Disneyland Resort. Enjoyed your optimistic appraisal of what lays ahead, Kevin.

Ding dong, Michael Eisner's gone.
    His incipidness is done. done done!
    Ding dong, the wicked wretch is gone.

Hi ho! The sun is out
    And shining on a brand new day.
    Ding dong, the wicked wretch is done.

A dream is a wish the heart makes...
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 09-29-2005 at 07:59 AM.

• Space Mountain Expert

Well said, Kevin.
    I'm thankful that you wrote this article because I think it's important we all recognize all the good things we have enjoyed as Disney fans thanks to Eisner and his reign.
    Ever since reading 'Disney War', I've been thankful that Eisner had the reigns or we would have lost our precious 'Laughing Place' even as recently as the Comcast fiasco.
    Thanks Eisner for what you've done for Disney!
    I only hope we never lose sight of one thing... that it was all started by a mouse!

the world of disneyking

• oh bugger

Thank You! I truly think all Disney fans, who truly love what Disney is owes Eisner a great deal of thanks for what he did for the Co. over the last 20 some years. Interesting to see how things go in 10 year periods. Letting the last 7 years or so spoil what Eisner has done right for the company is ignorant to the past.

Eisner takes over-1984
    Wells dies and Eisner takes Co. in new direction-1994
    Shareholder revolt, Save-Disney starts-2004

Wonder where we'll be in 2014?

Here's to Eisner's past as it has treated us well and spoiled us with some of the best animation in film history. To the theme parks which have given us some of the best moments in our lives, but more importantly, to the future. May our optimism not be crushed in the upcoming years but brought to life on screen, stage and in the parks.

I have always disagreed with the recent-years condemnation of Michael Eisner citing the exact points Kevin makes in this article. I am so happy to see someone in a credible position presenting these ideas to a large and concerned audience.

The future? I think Iger is a capable man who carries an understanding of the combined importance of the stockholders as well as the art and the consumers. Eisner would not have selected him otherwise. Eisner understood that the corporate growth and profits enjoyed a synergistic and dependent relationship with the Disney magic. Eisner may have put too much emphasis in recent years on less noble causes than the continuance and advancement of the Disney legacy, but I think that especially after the shock of the revolt, he would have been very able to bring continued prosperity to the corporation while heading it in a more "Disney" direction. Now that's up to Iger. Regards to them both.

•   
    • Minion

Eisner deserves as much credit as Katz and Wells... For revitalizing Disney.

I think it is important to remember that it was a team effort that brought success and growth... Once that team started to decintegrate, Eisner on his own didn't fair so well...
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

I like the pic of Eisner & Tim Allen. I wish I could meet Tim Allen, none-the-less ride Buzz Lightyear with him.

• Rock Star Minion

Here's how I (and many others, I believe) see how it went down:
    1. Eisner was the idea guy, reined in by Wells the financial guy.
    2. Wells dies, but Eisner can't find a suitable "no man" to replace him. I don't think Katzenberg would have been the "no man," since he's an idea guy, too. (I didn't say great-idea guy. Good, buyt not great.) And the "no man" position is not the "successor guy" that Katz wanted to be.
    3. So now, Eisner is the idea guy and the no guy. This doesn't mix very well, as he can't make great-idea decisions without killing it with ROI analysis. Instead, he starts making ROI ideas. That's not the Disney way:
    1. Going safe;
    2. Competing on competitors' levels;
    3. Driving good ideas into the ground instead of leveraging them over years;
    4. Looting the Treasures -- the timeless, classic films -- by making them available to all (VHS then DVD), so there will be no need to release them theatrically on the traditional schedule. That means the future relies on taking the risk to create new timeless classics. And since the ROI analysis rejects such risks, creativity is scaled down, and risk-sharing partnerships are formed. Yeah, we all like our DVDs, but that guts a core asset of the company, making it more cautious with new projects, since tehre is nothing to fall back on. In the past, there was always the re-release between films or in case of recessions to make virtually risk-free money.

Basicall, it all comes down to Wells dying, turning Eisner from idea guy to the no guy.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast