Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

Re: 6/25: Stuck on You

definitely agree on the pros of ebay. I've pretty much gotten all the Dragon!Maleficent pins I own from there, as there is pretty much nothing in the shops in DL (with the exception of the one Dragon!Maleficent pin I picked up).
    have to say though the green lanyard CMs that can only trade with kids is brand new to me. It wasn't until my most recent trip back in the first week of june and I went up to a cast member hoping to trade, only to be told I couldn't that I found out about it.

• Circle of Ancients

As a family of 4, it's quite easy to spend $1000 in a week, if not more. I think our last time to WDW we spent approximately $1400 for 5 of us for 10 days. And to be honest, most of that was food as we had a sit-down meal each day.

But, if your staying on site, your able to use your room-key to purchase everything and EASILY keep track of all of your purchases.

With a gift-card, it's so hard to keep track of how much is left on what card, and as you know, many people generally won't use them if there is less than $5 on one.

I'm thinking Disney is actually seeing more than the few dollars of extra spending on each gift card, but is actually seeing at least $5 or $6 due to people not using the last few $$ on their card.

I want to chime in on the value of this for kids. My daughter was is very shy and expeically with men. We got her a lanyard full of pins and the shyness went completely away. After the 3rd or 4th trip to DL she was pretty much cured of her shyness.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    1. Pins with Hidden Mickeys on them were never for sale. Actually this statement is not true. After a Hidden Mickey has been available for a bit they will release mystery packs that contain 2 of them for $10. AN example can be seen here.
    I swear that when they first started, they were not available for sale at ll. It's only recently that they have done it.

The color coding is the opposite for me as well - I have put down a few pins after looking at the price, thinking, "that price is way too high for this pin." It's also annoying to have to look up the prices.

Does anyone know where else or when the pin boards ocme out at WDW?

I don't do "pocket pins" _ I carry my traders in a little bag in my backpack. Annoying to get out, but I'd never wear a lanyard and ma too afraid they'll fall out of my pants. My husband has pocket pins though, he amuses himself in line by trying to guess which pin he's feeling in his pocket lol

Kevin, TY for this info... I will def. be getting some gift cards on my next trip!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

Besides trying the outlet stores, the 4 pin 'booster packs' they sell in the parks are a good deal and another source of traders. Also, the hidden mickey pouches melonballer mentioned are a good deal and ALWAYS welcome - CM's at DLR sometimes are shocked when I trade them a hidden mickey, but hey, they're only $4.50 each with my AP discount. However, they are not consistantly available, while the booster packs are.
    "Once upon a time there was a Magic Kingdom
    made of hopes and childhood fantasies
    A timeless place where every land was filled with wonder
    A place where everyone who enters its gates will be given the gift of the
    Young at Heart"

• I am number 4 of 999

Interesting! Clint's Mom sent us Tinkerbell pins from California that say close to the same thing, about it being a special pin to share with someone, on the "Castle in the Clouds" backer paper...

Still doing my best to resist pin trading, though!
    It's actually "Cars Land", not "Carsland".

• Kungaloosh

They switched to the color system so they could raise and lower the prices whenever they wanted without having to re tag each pin. Its not a ploy, its a way to underhandedly manipulate the cost of a product without the consumer being aware of it. Lately I have seen a lot of price manipulation in regard to pins, clever idea it might be, but to many its salt on the wound in this terrible economy.
    AN ADVENTURER'S LIFE IS BEST!

KUNGALOOSH!

• Shablagoo!

Quote Originally Posted by NeverNeverland View Post
    I swear that when they first started, they were not available for sale at ll. It's only recently that they have done it.
    That is correct. They have been doing it for the last couple years or so.

I've seen the color coding on pins too, and assumed it was for more easily changing prices. Does anyone recall if the name of the color is on the price tag inside the colored rectangle, like it is on the pricing guide? I've looked but don't remember if they are or not. I wanted to make sure before being tempted to hand out a big demerit to Disney for the sake of those with colorblindness. If they are, big kudos to Disney instead. It's an easy thing to overlook. I'm not colorblind myself, but it's a subject of interest and I've studied it some, enough to know that colorblineness affects not that small a minority.

• Shablagoo!

I promised a scrapper picture and here it is. The Jessica pin on the left is the real one, the other is the scrapper.

Much easier to tell on the backside.

I called the resort, they DO accept the gift card as payment for room and everything. Now I just need to find out where to get there before I go check in at the front desk.
    Does anyone know the EARport Store carries these gift cards?

• MiceAge Columnist

I would be surprised if the cards were at EARport. They are semi-hard to find even in the parks. Emporium has a display as you walk in the door by the firehouse. MouseGear might have all of them, but I only found the "father's day" ones in a section of dad clothing. I couldn't locate them in Hollywood Studios, though I didn't look hard. And I haven't been to DAK in weeks and weeks.

The cards aren't in "outdoor" shops like at TTC, at least not that I could locate.

Can you maybe pay one day when you check in but then say you'll pay the rest later? haha that sounds horribly naive even as I type it, but who knows.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12