Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/7: Murphy, Abe & Ed

Dragon Drama, Presidents Prepped & Snobby Suits; Plus a Disneyland Timeline... Discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Re: 7/7: Murphy, Abe & Ed

Great Article. Im so Happy Star Tours is back on!!! Its kinda weird that Disney is going to have Star Tours and the Little Mermaid open around the same time that will bring alot of people to the park through...

Let's ease back on the digs at Ed... the man is doing his job, and he's hardly a Paul Pressler. It's hard to criticize him when so many neat things are coming to Disneyland and the place looks so great.

WDW was spoiled throughout the 90s receiving new updates, new rides, new parks, new animatronics, while DL was forgotten about and now it's DL's turn in the limelight. I fully expect it to come full-circle back to WDW again.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadoe View Post
    . . . WDW was spoiled throughout the 90s receiving new updates, new rides, new parks, new animatronics, while DL was forgotten about and now it's DL's turn in the limelight. I fully expect it to come full-circle back to WDW again.
    WDW was "spoiled"? The parks have to take "turns" and slide while one is improved?
    Are you "Back in the USSR"?

Thank you for the excellent update, AL!
    Although you have occasionally been accused of Disney bashing by fans who think all Disney decisions are always infallible, your honest and insightful updates (chock full of the latest information) usually get me excited about Disney and make me more positive. For example, I loved the Disneyland schedule you included! It sounds like the next two summers (2010 & 2011) will be exciting!

One quibble--you wrote:
    "Meanwhile, DCA had another lazy summer weekend with small crowds. That will change for DCA by next year's 4th, hopefully. But until then, the DCA boosters will just have to dream of the day huge crowds." I'm a DCA booster because I hate large crowds at Disney parks! But I would like DCA to start an amazing 4th of July show of its own. Possible with a smaller orchestra that would be thrilled to perform with famous actors performing patriotic readings. And this show should (like Disneyland's uniform? 4th of July fireworks show), run at least four nights. Disney should truly embrace its all-American image.

I wouldn't mind if Carthay Circle became another Club 33, catering to the same movers and shakers who have private jets, boxes at the Staples Center, and regular contact with President Obama. Just as long as the rest of the park is comfortably within the reach of wise, frugal middle class teachers, nurses, cops, military, librarians, fast food managers, firefighters, plumbers, electricians, and other great middle class Americans who make this country work and are willing to splurge reasonably at excellent Disney parks.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-07-2009 at 07:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    WDW was "spoiled"? The parks have to take "turns" and slide while one is improved?
    Are you "Back in the USSR"?
    I'm not saying that's how it has to be, but that's how it has been. Nothing about how the Walt Disney Co. currently operates makes me think they'd do anything differently.

Disneyland needed help -- a lot more than WDW did, and since money is a finite resource, I suspect a lot more money was then turned towards Disneyland to fix it up.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by The Shadoe View Post
    I'm not saying that's how it has to be, but that's how it has been. Nothing about how the Walt Disney Co. currently operates makes me think they'd do anything differently.

Disneyland needed help -- a lot more than WDW did, and since money is a finite resource, I suspect a lot more money was then turned towards Disneyland to fix it up.
    That's stinkin' thinkin'!
    Wealth can be created, and Disney should operate full steam ahead with new magic kingdoms in new areas rather than try to squeeze more and more out of locals and upper-middle class wannabes with $36 BBQs, 100 Euro Fastpasses, and more roped off exclusive areas that make the majority of kids feel left out.

In regards to the unfestiveness at DCA, why the hell would the powers that be want to sink $ into an expensive show when they have one next door? The comparison to the other 'area' theme parks is a moot point... they don't have a park run by the same company parked right next door. I'll grant you that not having any sort of decor is rather disheartening, but the lack of fireworks is not a big deal to me. Besides, if you want the best fireworks show for your buck, get a ticket on the third base side at Angels Stadium, where you can see all of the city's displays, as well as D-land, then the show after the game!

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by JerrodDRagon View Post
    Great Article. Im so Happy Star Tours is back on!!! Its kinda weird that Disney is going to have Star Tours and the Little Mermaid open around the same time that will bring alot of people to the park through...
    At least the two new attractions are in different parks! Can you imagine BOTH parks being full? Wow, what a thought.

I'm a DCA booster because I hate large crowds at Disney parks!
    Yeah, you know I'm going to miss the days when you could count on DCA being relatively empty, although it will still be a little less packed than DL even after the updates. It's been nice to enjoy the wide, clear walkways for a while!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, I'm curious about one thing, and I suppose I should go through the other threads to check this, but I'm lazy: do we know which contractor Disney used to construct the dragon?

• Just this guy......

Great update and thanks for the time line.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

That was one of the best updates you've done in a while, Al-thanks.

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by jaxbistro View Post
    In regards to the unfestiveness at DCA, why the hell would the powers that be want to sink $ into an expensive show when they have one next door?. . .
    Because even more people ($!) would come. Duh.

And to celebrate America more. Halloween and Christmas are celebrated in both Anaheim parks.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 07-07-2009 at 07:49 AM.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Because even more people ($!) would come. Duh.
    Ever heard... don't compete against yourself?

DCA should offer a different type of experience - not the same. DCA could offer things like concerts, or other draws.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• DCA FTW!

Fantastic update Al! Looking forward to the new changes.
    Everybody's got a laughin' place-
    trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it.

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    DCA should offer a different type of experience - not the same. DCA could offer things like concerts, or other draws.
    I agree. Best of both worlds, if they have a completely different kind of entertainment option that would appeal to a different crowd, like a concert or some unusual version of the food and wine festival or something like that.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Ever heard... don't compete against yourself?

I suggested an orchestra.
    And no, I have honestly never heard, "don't compete against yourself."

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast