Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

7/21: Final Fantasy?

Kevin wonders if Walt Disney World's Magic Kingdom is finally getting a refresh... discuss that and possible changes to the FastPass program here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• A-NET-FAN

Re: 7/21: Final Fantasy?

Thanks Kevin for this great article. Its nice to hear of some possible big news for WDWs Magic Kingdom. I think it deserves an expansion! I am really excited about the Little Mermaid ride .............and the dinner show resteraunt based on Beauty and the Beast sounds FANTASTIC!!! I love the idea of them ripping out Mickeys Toon Town Fair. I think they can do better.... it really needs to go. I think Mickey and the rest of the fab five would fit in great on Main Street. I dont remember them playing the old Disney shorts at the Main Street Cinema like they used to when I was there last year (isnt it a store now???) but restoring it to a cinema AND meet and greet area would be a fantastic idea. Mickey is the star of the park and its fitting for him to be on Main Street greeting his guests.

The idea of moving Dumbo to the far corner is also fine with me. Isnt the second circle that is identifued for dumbo about where the goofy coaster is now? Do you think it may be converted into a flying dumbo coaster similar to the old Wild Mouse rides that had cars in the shape of a mouse? I think that entire DUMBO area themed like a circus would be AWESOME and it would appeal to both boys and girls.

The Fast Pass rumors on the other hand upset me. This isnt something I would like. Unlike the locals I only get to WDW once every 5 years or so and this last trip with the Fast Passes was a DREAM. It really contributed to making our trip especally pleasant, convenient and it allowed us to make the most of our time in the parks. I really hope they dont change or do away with this system.

Holding my breath for the possible changes the Mk needs new life for sure. I never had the chance (yet) to use fast pass system but always didnt mind waiting in the regular lines when that was all there was to do. I like it better as all have to be treated equal. Everyone waited the same amount of time.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Whoa sounds like Disney is coming up with really smart ideas this time. I dunno much about Fastpass's efficiency but the idea of a centralized location sounds intriguing at least...especially in a massive park like Animal Kingdom. That place is a pain to run around from one end to the other.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Pretty good speculation on your part Kevin. I too believe the blueprints are real, but maybe not up to date. I think Disney is making a WHOPPER of a mistake if they think they can put all that princess stuff and the fairies in there. And, unless there are actual attractions and not overpriced meet experiences and dining I smell trouble. While I too think most of Toontown Fair can go, I really do think Minnie and Mickey's houses should stay somehow. Evicting them really tarnishes the whole "It started with a mouse" saying. Boys will not want to go to Fantasyland if it's all Princesses. So, I'm really curious to see just what these attractions might really turn out to be.

Fastpass news always concerns me. Like you, Kevin, I sort prefer it before fastpass. Yet, I do like being able to use it sparingly. But, it does kill some spontaneity. Making it a hotel perk could work if they kept it limited as you say, but giving more passes per day for longer stays really irritates me. I like fairness. And frankly, DVC and AP should have the same perk. But then again, limiting the perk to only resort guests and pass holders isn't fair either. It would have been one thing to introduce the fastpass as a perk for staying on property. But now, it would be taking it away. Guests who don't stay on property would be forced to use standby lines, which I believe will remain long because Disney will max the system. It's all very complicated. And right now, it seems fair. Everyone has the same opportunity to get a fastpass. It just makes standby lines too long.

GREAT UPDATE!

But that FastPass thing. A lot of people LOVE fp Kevin. And it does put at least some people in the stores and dining halls.

A friend at WED told me one time "You got to understand, other parks put in rides that have a capasity of 1,000 people an hour. WE have to have rides that do 3,000 and hour. So we are always looking for ways to make that better."

So I'm thinking FP is here to stay.

I'll be at WDW next week Kevin, will you be around?

thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

• former CM

Thumbs up Thanks, Kevin!

Interesting update!

Dumbo is so wonderful and popular that I wouldn't mind another. They should just be sure that each has excellent views. There's no point in soarin' if there's not much to see.

I'm worried that a new Fastpass system will continue the trend of making Disney parks seem like they have first class and coach sections. Remember, Walt carefully hid Disneyland's Club 33--it wasn't flaunted in the faces of guests who may have already been splurging to visit Disneyland. Disney should continue to strive to make every guest feel like a VIP.

I love the idea for a Seven Dwarves Mine children’s coaster! I hope they keep it pretty tame for the wee ones and make it spectacular for all. Our Snow White's Scary Adventure at Disneyland is unpopular because it's really short and has the witch jumping out and freaking out little kids at every chance. It's a rare example of stupid Imagineering.

One of the Hong Kong threads has already had some posts against mini-lands. One writer compared them with EPCOT's World Showcase pavillions. With mini-lands, the experience of entering a new land might be less immersive and more jarring & headache inducing. Perhaps if the new areas are more like Fantasyland neighborhoods, and there is some architecture uniting them.

I am happy that Disney doesn't plan on getting its butt kicked by the popular Harry Potter. HP does have its share of fans and I hope Universal will improve WDW through competition.

• Pilot EdForceOne

All this 'numbers' talk about FP tickets in the article could be applied to the existing FP system and have similar impacts. FP's impact on lines (everyone's #1 complaint) is purely a function of how many FPs they give out and enforcing the rules. Going to a paid system is not necessary to recognize those changes.

I could see Disney going to some 'dream fastpass' like additions for staying on property, but I can't see them taking away adhoc FPs all together except for one reason alone. Cost (machine upkeep, and staffer positions).
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I might point out the following...

1) The WDW exec's are idiots.

2) I do believe that it is a legitimate plan given the 20K real estate.

3) Once the expansion is in place, it would lay the groundwork to later rehab the other portions of Fantasyland replacing the exteriors with those similar to DL's without having a major impact on the operation. Concievabley, it could be done building by building, focusing on Pan & Philharmagic, then Small World, then Pooh/Snow White. Of course, it could still be done without the expansion, however the expansion would make the temporary closures much more bearable.

4) Given that Lassister has small kids, daughters if I'm not mistaken, I can easily see him overridding WDW's opinion. I'm going to LOVE it once it's done and the guest comments come back.

• MiceAge Columnist

I agree with this.

However, one additional wrinkle is if they allow FP tickets by hotel guests (I toyed with trying to coin the term "Hotel FastPass") to be selected in advance, before the vacation begins, then the reduction of FP tickets sloshing in the system works a bit differently, because tickets wouldn't be issued throughout the day. Put another way: if they tried to reduce overall FP tickets under the current system, tickets will "run out" by 11 am and that's it for the day. Those who arrive late to the park would get nothing. If they limit FP tickets under the Hotel FP system, then you're not punishing people who show up late. Perhaps they intend to give Annuals and DVC Members some option to select a FP ahead of time also, and thereby punish nobody. Well, except for those staying off-property.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    All this 'numbers' talk about FP tickets in the article could be applied to the existing FP system and have similar impacts. FP's impact on lines (everyone's #1 complaint) is purely a function of how many FPs they give out and enforcing the rules. Going to a paid system is not necessary to recognize those changes.

I could see Disney going to some 'dream fastpass' like additions for staying on property, but I can't see them taking away adhoc FPs all together except for one reason alone. Cost (machine upkeep, and staffer positions).
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• A-NET-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
    3) Once the expansion is in place, it would lay the groundwork to later rehab the other portions of Fantasyland replacing the exteriors with those similar to DL's without having a major impact on the operation. Concievabley, it could be done building by building, focusing on Pan & Philharmagic, then Small World, then Pooh/Snow White. Of course, it could still be done without the expansion, however the expansion would make the temporary closures much more bearable.
    Small World should come before anything else with a complete overhaul. Like I said I only go to DW once every 5 years or so and Small World was the only ride in Fantasyland that stood out to me as being in sad shape. Disney Worlds version of Snow White is GREAT and all the other attractions in that land looked just as fresh and well maintained. I dont think its as "stale" as some ppl complain about....

• is too darn hot.

I would be sad if monorails were no longer purple. It's always been my favorite monorail color. As for your desire to clone WoC in WDW? No thanks. You just complained about cloning and now you want to clone something?
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

If Disney wants to save money and make fans happy with this expansion - they should bring back Mr. Toad.

Kevin,

Universal has a perfect setup for their ticket system for Fron-of Line only because they only have 2400 rooms and the majority of folks won't spend the extra $$$ on top of admission price. I, personally, love the stay-on-site option and have paid the extra fee for Front-of line when not staying on property and I will be the first to say it is worth every dime . That said, WDW is just too massive (4 parks, 30,000 rooms) to offer anything close to that option that would not be elistist. I, like you, despise the FP system and remember the days when everyone stood in line together. Those were also the days when you could walk into any restaurant without a reservation and have a short wait.

I have lived in FL my whole life and have stayed at WDW several times a year since I was born. (Yeah, I'm still miffed at you about your past thread about not needing to stay on property but I'll get you on that later) Luckily, my family and I know all the secrets and tricks around crowds, dinner reservations, transportation etc., but I feel bad for first timers who dream of coming to WDW but don't know the looooooooong list of to-do's that now-a-days MUST be done before you visit.

I am a huge admirer of your columns and share (almost) all of your opinions. Please keep up the good work and please help us come up with innovative ideas about what to about this ongoing FP dilemma.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    As for your desire to clone WoC in WDW? No thanks. You just complained about cloning and now you want to clone something?
    It was said with a smiley emoticon in my voice.... if they insist on cloning everything, I was basically saying, then let's hope for us East Coast people that they will clone WoC!
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast