Blog Entries

From " Mission to Mars " to " Mission: Space "

The Disney and More Blog Takes a look at Disney's Space themed attractions. From "Mission to Mars" now a Disneyland and Walt Disney World extinct attraction to Mission Space, with great pictures and videos of the rides.

But you will also discover rare renderings of what WOULD have been Mission: Space if Micheal Eisner didn't make severe cuts in the budget. And how great it would have been to land on a Moon Station and move inside it thanks to a "MMU" ride (Manned Maneuvering Unit - the famous propulsion backpack which was used by NASA astronauts on three space shuttle missions in 1984 and which allowed the astronauts to perform untethered EVA spacewalks at a distance from the shuttle )!

If you love outer space, Imagineering, attraction photos and concept art, see the full article on Disney and More here:

disneyandmoremovies: From " Mission to Mars " to " Mission: Space "

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Re: From " Mission to Mars " to " Mission: Space "

I love the idea of the MMU coaster. VERY cool. They could still do this. Just use the old Wonders of Life building as a show building for a moon base and build the coaster inside. The two pavilions are so close that they could easily be connected.

It always makes me sad when I hear about mega projects that get cut down to their bare minimum (like Mission:Space, Indy, and the Paris version of Discovery Mountain).
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

Great article! I loved reading and watching about the history behind these attractions. It's a shame none of the original idea came to be. That ride looked amazing!

• Addicted to MC since '08

Wow, that "landing on the moon" concept would have been great!

• Who are you again?

that artical was very good! still......wish the moon part was added or wil be added
    that looks COOL
    Hello? I seem to be in some sort of inter dimensional dimension with no way in or out....Send Help! and Pie! pumpkin peferably

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I love the idea of the MMU coaster. VERY cool. They could still do this. Just use the old Wonders of Life building as a show building for a moon base and build the coaster inside. The two pavilions are so close that they could easily be connected.

It always makes me sad when I hear about mega projects that get cut down to their bare minimum (like Mission:Space, Indy, and the Paris version of Discovery Mountain).
    Ya, me too, I think disney should follow through with at least one of those kinds of attractions just to kinda regain the name they had when walt ran things, cause walt knew how to take risks! If I ran things I would do those because I know in the long run the draw for that would be so great that it would boost attendance and then more people would buy stuff and such. It would eventuallu pay off.

• Lackey

That MMU would have been great! I loved watching that opening ceremonies clip, too.

Eddie: You mean to tell me you could have taken your hand out of those cuffs at any time?
    Roger: Not at any time. Only when it's funny.

~<8O]

• Minion

MMU looks so cool!! GAH to see what could have been and what actually was built is a little upsetting. Hopefully they put this is or something better at least.

-sad face-

• I read the news today...

Sweet article, it's always cool to see what the rides could have been, even if it didn't quite happen due to budget, etc.
    "I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together"