Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/4: Flash vs Fast; Pass that is...

Comparing the rider reservation systems... discuss them here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK; MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/4: Flash vs Fast; Pass that is...

Even though I haven't been to any of the parks since fass pass started still think I'd like the old way when everyone was treated the same. But then the parks disney, universal etc know they have a captive audience so why not try to get as much out of our wallets as they can. UGH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by r1hert2 View Post
    Even though I haven't been to any of the parks since fass pass started still think I'd like the old way when everyone was treated the same. But then the parks disney, universal etc know they have a captive audience so why not try to get as much out of our wallets as they can. UGH!!!
    The current method sounds good on paper. It's free to everyone! What's not to like?

But when you see the impact it has had on the parks, you realize that it has made vacations into a chore. Along with the advanced ressies and the DDP, FP makes it so you have to schedule every minute of your day or risk losing out.

While a paid FP may sound like Disney trying to turn a quick buck (and may actually be that) if it is done correctly it could fix a system that is currently not working as intended.

• Banned User

the FP doesn't work b/c you don't get put directly on the ride. The FP is supposedly holding your spot in line. But when you return to the FP return line, you find your FP went only fifty percent through b/c you need to let those without FP through the ride. Remember... mind your 's nd 's. now y nyone would get th t.

• Circle of Ancients

Great stuff Kevin.

And I totally agree with you on the Flashpass. It's a God-Send at parks you only have 1 day at. I'm looking forward to using it at Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) up north on Friday.

When we used it at SFOG a few years ago, like you we were able to enjoy the entire park at a leisurely pace with no rush. The FLP return-line at Batman is one of the worst set-ups though. I agree. And yes, it is a clone of the one at Magic Mountain, just a different color.

Although, there are ways to enjoy a FP filled day at Disneyland without having to rush. Just like with Six Flags, you have to get to the park early.

Just this past Sunday:
    Park open - FP for Space Mtn. Return time of 8:55am.
    Fantasyland: Rides on Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Snow White and Casey Jr.
    Frontierland: Standby on Big Thunder (walk on)
    Adventureland: FP for Indiana Jones. Return time of 9:40am. - Jungle Cruise
    NOS: Pirates of the Caribbean
    Critter Country: FP for Splash Mtn. Return time of 10:30.
    Adventureland: Used Indy FP.
    Tomorrowland: Used FP for Space Mtn. Buzz Lightyear
    Fantasyland: It's a Small World
    MiceChat Meet - Lunch at Plaza Inn until approx 1:15pm.
    Critter Country: Splash Mtn.
    Left park at 2pm

Even though that might seem like a lot of hustle and bustle, it really wasn't. You just have to plan your day a little bit. We didn't rush due to my wife's back issues still and we had an amazing day.

I used the Flash Pass last year at Six Flags Chicago and it worked great. I also noticed that people just hanging out in the fp line waiting for their ride time to come up. I finally figured out the best thing to do was to ask people if they were waiting and bypass them to the front. This is a necessity or you will be waiting for no reason.

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, I don't get the "wait in line until your time is ready" thing. Why waste the money if your just going to wait in line anyway???

This sort of advantage is starting to anger me. It costs a lot of money to take a family to these parks. And I'm happy for the experience I'm paying for. But now I'm forced to have a longer wait time unless I fork over some more cash (and not just a SMALL amount) for one of these advantages? At Disney, the system is free and in my view works pretty well. I like it. But like Kevin, I don't like that it makes for some extremely long queue lines. I can see why people would be willing to pay for this at a Six Flags park, because their queues are just hot and boring. But this whole system reeks of haves and have-nots. If you can't afford the FLP, you are now going to get even less of the rides than before. And clearly the system is built just to suck the cash from our wallets. Almost pure profit for Six Flags.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Relax

I'm still on the fence whether the cons outweigh the pros for any kind of FP system. I enjoyed reading about Six Flags system and by Kevin's account it appeared to work really well.

Something like that would also be beneficial to families with small children or people who don't wish to go on roller coasters but still have a few thrill seekers in your group. Get the FP, walk onto the line, the wait time for those outside the attraction is minimal. It sounds great in theory.

I'll have to agree that the most benefit would be received by those that research this situation but I doubt that makes of the majority of those that take advantage of it would actually do the research. So that definitely needs to be accounted for in some way, otherwise they just aren't seeing the benefits they should.

If I were just visiting the park for a day this would be perfect but again the stand by is what suffers the most in these situations. I have to wonder, given the method of loading the attraction and other factors, whether it would be just easier to leave off the FP on some rides.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by daliseurat View Post
    This sort of advantage is starting to anger me. It costs a lot of money to take a family to these parks. And I'm happy for the experience I'm paying for. But now I'm forced to have a longer wait time unless I fork over some more cash (and not just a SMALL amount) for one of these advantages? At Disney, the system is free and in my view works pretty well. I like it. But like Kevin, I don't like that it makes for some extremely long queue lines. I can see why people would be willing to pay for this at a Six Flags park, because their queues are just hot and boring. But this whole system reeks of haves and have-nots. If you can't afford the FLP, you are now going to get even less of the rides than before. And clearly the system is built just to suck the cash from our wallets. Almost pure profit for Six Flags.
    The system at Disney is NOT free, it's absolutely built in the price. And you end up paying for it whether you use it or not. I would actually say that the Disney systems is "less" fair because if you don't know how to use it (by not doing research) then your going to miss out.

At Six Flags it's WELL advertised. You can even purchase one online before going to the park and they will hold one for you. (which kind of answers Kevin's issue about "the early bird gets the worm").

It's all about priorities. There have been at least 3 Six Flags parks I've used this system at (SFOG, SFOT and SFGAdv). At all 3 there was NO WAY we would have been able to see everything in the park without it. You don't HAVE to use it, and unlike Disney's FP, there aren't as many people on the system. So the wait-time increase for the standby line isn't anymore than 5 or 10 minutes due to this system.

Same can't be said for Disney which has standby line increases of 30 minutes and more from pre-FP to now.

Wink Re: 8/4: Flash vs Fast; Pass that is...

Another nice article from Kevin. In some ways, as Kevin has written about, I would like to see the end of the FastPass system altogether. Just like those dumb HOV lanes on the freeway, to me it just bogs the whole system down. But as long as it continues then Disney could improve it by having 3 or 4 central locations to grab your FP instead of outside the attractions. I think it would help to equalize the whole thing because you would no longer have to trek across the park (say from Pirates to Space Mountain) to get a FP for later in the day. I do think it should remain free, because then you establish a "class" system. Perhaps it could be an add-on option to annual passports or your hotel stay, but that's where I draw the line at charging for it.

• A-NET-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by daliseurat View Post
    MMMM hmmm I pretty much agree. To me its a bigger crime to offer a paid FLP service to customers then a fee to all FP system. With Disneys version ANY guest can benefit. Like you said you have to "be in the know". But how is that any less fair then a system that so clearly offers such a service only to those who can afford it? Unlike Disneys version ......that shuts out a lot of guests from benefiting where as WITH Disneys version every guest has equal opertunity to use the system. The entire 10 days I was at WDW I only once had a time when we encountered a ride that had run out of fast passes. Most rides actually still had tickets in late afternoon! We were never sprinting across the park just to get to a certain FP machine. Booked Fastpass lines werer a non issue for us and we were there in June. On the other hand with this paid system it sounds like it "sells out" fast daily. That statement just confirms in my mind that FAst Pass is by far the fairest of the two systems. At Six Flags if you have the extra money you are worthy of VIP treatment but at Disney all guests have the oppertunity for that treatment. THATS fair......and THATS hospitality to your guests. The Haves and have nots senerio doesnt settle well with me at all. Disney would be making a huge mistake going that rout.

• A-NET-FAN

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    The system at Disney is NOT free, it's absolutely built in the price.
    LOL. I dont believe that if they do away with the FP system we will be seeing a drop in ticket prices.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by a-net-fan View Post
    LOL. I dont believe that if they do away with the FP system we will be seeing a drop in ticket prices.
    Well, of course not. But you have to figure in the staffing for the FP, the resources (paper), maintaining the machines, etc. You really don't think Disney is going to have a system in place that they are losing money on do you?

• Hello again!

Quote Originally Posted by a-net-fan View Post
    At Six Flags if you have the extra money you are worthy of VIP treatment but at Disney all guests have the oppertunity for that treatment. THATS fair......and THATS hospitality to your guests. The Haves and have nots senerio doesnt settle well with me at all. Disney would be making a huge mistake going that rout.
    Couldn't agree more, Really I have never heard anyone not use the FP at DLR, but I have seen tons of people think they could only use their FP during the allocated two hour block. Really if they want to make things fair to even the ignorant visitor, they should enforce the two hour FP window. I can tell you for sure my wife and I take full advantage of the FP system, in fact I don't know if we have ever used our normal 9am to 11am Space Mountain FP before 6pm.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast