Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/11: iPhone World

Kevin lets you know which iPhone Disney World apps are worth downloading... discuss them all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/11: iPhone World

I think the apps that record and report wait times have the most potential. A character sighting app might also be useful. (If others agree, let me know, and I'll create it.)

There's a lot of waiting associated with WDW. Waiting for friends, waiting for rides, waiting for a table. I think the best apps would be the ones that entertain and educate the waiters.

Thanks for researching this for us, Kevin!

I work at Disney World and find the WDW Dining app and the WDW Wait Times App most helpful when I am just visiting the parks. When I am visiting the parks I report the wait times via this app. Sometimes if I pass an attraction on my way to a backstage area I will record the current wait time in the app once I get backstage.

• Circle of Ancients

Anybody know if any app's are available for other smart phones? Blackberries, G3, etc.

• Brotherhood of Evil Magic

I'm curious which of these apps would work just as well with the iPod touch? You say some are updated on the fly, do you need the AT&T internet or is there wifi in the parks that the touch can tap into. I have a work provided cell phone (Verison), but I'm still looking into a touch

I loved this article, and am waiting to see one about the apps available for Disneyland in Anaheim. I tried a wait times one last time I was there, but it was brand new, had a much less intuitive interface, and nobody seemed to be entering wait times. I myself didn't enter any wait times, because I couldn't figure out how to do it.

I love my iPhone, and can't wait to find some helpful apps for DL in California too.

• I'm detecting nuttiness.

Thanks for the roundup, Kevin. I'll admit that I'm still in "miser" mode and so far have refused to pay for any apps, but I might just break down and buy the Walt Disney World Resort Times Guide. I've already got all of the park hours for my upcoming visit entered into Notes, but it'd be nice to have an app that updates on the fly. And the listing of parades, fireworks, and shows is a big bonus.

I've got all of the WaitWatch apps and I have to agree that WDW Wait Times is much better. All of the parks are in one app and that spinning wheel to update the times is fun to play with. Plus, it seems to be updated more consistently than WaitWatch.

Another free app that I compare to WaitWatch is Lines at Disney Magic Kingdom (listed as "Lines...isney" in the icon). It seems to be rarely updated, and isn't capable of listing attractions as "Closed." And the attractions list is just plain ugly.

Louiedog, there is no wi-fi available in the parks. You need to use AT&T's 3G service, so an iPod Touch won't work for the apps that update on the fly.
    *Brian*

• MiceAge Columnist

iTouch-capable apps: I should have included this in the article. This is just guesswork and supposition, since I can't test it, but I think these will work:

1. WDW Dining (my top app)
    2. Hidden Mickeys
    3. Walt Disney World Trivia
    4. The two Notescast apps

... and probably a couple on the bottom. The iTunes page to describe the app might list whether it's iTouch compatible. I think it does, anyway.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_WDW74 View Post
    Thanks for the roundup, Kevin. I'll admit that I'm still in "miser" mode and so far have refused to pay for any apps, but I might just break down and buy the Walt Disney World Resort Times Guide. I've already got all of the park hours for my upcoming visit entered into Notes, but it'd be nice to have an app that updates on the fly. And the listing of parades, fireworks, and shows is a big bonus.
    I should have sung its praises even louder in the article. It's got Voice of Liberty, Off Kilter, etc... much of the 'smaller' entertainment is listed there too. It's a full-sized replacement of the paper Times Guide.

As for "miser mode," I understand completely. I started that way too. But it's a slippery slope (as Apple well knows) and now I'm sliding, sliding.... ah........
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Thank you Kevin. Very helpful. I'm downloading some of these apps right now!
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

This is such a great resource, Kevin. There are so many of these apps to choose from, I was afraid to buy any of them. Now I can try a few with confidence that they will be useful. Thanks.

ETA: I just discovered another use for the WDW Wait Times Guide. Turns out I am 2,137 miles from Splash Mountain!
    Last edited by Rixter; 08-11-2009 at 11:01 AM.
    Rick

Why would an author of 3 books about Disneyland/WDW necessitate an app for Disney/WDW trivia?

•   
    • Main Street VIPs

Quote Originally Posted by jaxbistro View Post
    Why would an author of 3 books about Disneyland/WDW necessitate an app for Disney/WDW trivia?
    With all due respect, you might want to restate the question. It doesn't really make any sense as worded.
    Rick

•   
    • Minion

This was a GREAT article... We need such an article for us in California too... (Hint, Hint...)
    Check out my other blog:

• MiceAge Columnist

If your question means, "why would I recommend an app about trivia when I've written my own trivia book", my answer would be because the trivia is fun, I guess.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast