Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

8/13: Chic or Cheap?

Kevin looks at Disney World's new DVC Bay Lake Tower, More... discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Re: 8/13: Chic or Cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz View Post
    Kevin looks at Disney World's new DVC Bay Lake Tower, More... discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    When the Animal Kingdom Lodge first opened, there was tight security. You can't wander around the pool area at the Beach Club. People pay a lot of money to stay at any Disney resort and DVC members pay upfront. Having roving photographers wandering the halls to post pictures on the internet is a bit creepy in my opinion.

We think the rooms look great and this a fantastic addition to the Contemporary Resort; however, I'm disappointed in this "unreview" of Bay Lake Towers.

Kevin,

My guess is that the "lockdown" at Bay Lake Tower is necessary (at least until security has a better handle on guest actions) because of the proximity of the property both to the Contemporary itself and the Magic Kingdom in particular. My further guess is that Disney security has anticipated that untoward guests may gain access to the property during the day and otherwise "steal away" until the evening so that they can secure some of the magnificent fireworks views afforded by the Bay Lake Tower. Let's face it, we've all witnessed personally guests who stake out spots hours and hours before parades, Illuminations and special events like the Candlelight Processional. If I had paid my $112 a vacation point to be a member of the DVC at Bay Lake, I sure wouldn't want the general public stowing away and/or otherwise disrupting or destroying the services and amenities provided there. Its unique location is likely behind the policy, as the new addition to the AKL DVC does not have similar restrictions, and it just opened a couple of months ago.

As to the "chic or cheap" discussion, I really think it has everything to do with whether you appreciate the "contemporary" or modern style and architecture, which always seems to emphasize "less is more." I can understand your opinion (I am not a fan of the modern style myself), but I have been in the rooms there (I understand you have not) and was very, very impressed with the amenities and quality in the design and construction of the units. Nothing cheap about them at all, IMHO. They are well designed with attention to detail (even the plates/dishware in the one bedroom units are modern/contemporary in design - nice touch) and the furnishings appear quite top notch. Without having toured the whole facility (rooms, the Top of the World Lounge, pool area, all common areas etc.) I think that your comments are somewhat unfair and that you should revisit them after you have taken such a tour.

Thanks for the column.

• World Traveler

Great report. Thanks.

My biggest gripe with the Bay Lake Towers is with the poor design of the tower itself - specifically, how it architecturally clashes so badly with the Contemporary Tower next door. There is nothing special or unique about this BLT design. It would be right at home in the skyline of many American cities, probably along Miami Beach, and it might fit right in up on International Drive near the convention center. Where it doesn't belong is next to the Contemporary.

I had never considered before just how 'cheap' the place might look, but it does (and I do tend to favor modern or contemporary design).

As for the tight security, people have always been able to wander around any Disney resort, with very few exceptions. You can't pool hop anymore (that was once permitted too, though), so limited access at Stormalong Bay isn't a good example. I would hope this policy gets relaxed to something more reasonable in time, because it sets a very bad precedent for Disney resorts.
    Last edited by Mikado; 08-13-2009 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Mikado, I'm not saying you're wrong, but in my opinion the new tower looks terrific, and complements the old tower very nicely. I especially like how the face on the Seven Seas side is totally different from the courtyard view on the Bay Lake side. As to access, since there are no amenities for the general public, I don't have any problem with access being restricted.

And Kevin, I really like the photos of stuff that's new to you. Chances are those things will be new, or at least newish, to me too. Keep 'em coming!

• Pilot EdForceOne

Even if Disney wanted to make the DVC-only property more 'exclusive' by keeping out non-guests I'd be ok with it.

I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the newness, and as you mentioned the possibility of outsiders trying to get prime viewing spots.

Regarding the room/style comments.. I think the photo tours many people posted during the open house tours provided plenty of pix for people to base their opinions on. Unfortunately you missed out on some of the best stuff for Disney Geeks in the lounge upstairs, etc.

I am suprised by the lack of a check-in desk though. Yes, other properties are like this as well, but I'd find that rather annoying. I suppose valet and bellhops minimize that.

How did you miss out on the preview tours given the other week?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• back in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung View Post
    And Kevin, I really like the photos of stuff that's new to you. Chances are those things will be new, or at least newish, to me too. Keep 'em coming!
    Ha! Ditto, but I haven't been to WDW since the 80s so anything Kevin posts photos of will be new to me!

"I'm unsure if this would be of any interest to you readers, so consider this a test. Let me know if I should continue doing it!"

To piggy-back what RenMan said, keep up the "new to me" segment Kevin. It seems many of us do not reside near WDW and only get out there for a special trip. So anything is new to us and may help with planning any upcoming trips out there... I happen to be a 'planner' when it comes to trips. Based on the replies from your last segment, people are either are 'planners' or freelancers when planning their schedules for vacations.

L8.

• MiceAge Columnist

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    How did you miss out on the preview tours given the other week?
    Easy: I'm not considered "press" by the Disney organization (they never contact me, anyway). Which is fine. I consider my role more of an essayist (maybe cultural critic or cultural analyst) rather than unbiased journalist, and it would be hard to be so honest and forthcoming if I got wined and dined at all the press events.

If there was an open house separate from the press screenings, I didn't know it in time. I think there was one on a weekday (Friday?) and I couldn't make it down that day.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Little Miss Sunshine

Kevin - I agree with you. I took lots of photos for my site of Kidani, which a lot of people appreciated. Bay Lake Tower was a pain (hence, I took few photos), and I am confused as why it has such a lock down. The Contemporary Resort is not locked down. The WL Villas are not. Beach Club Villas, Kidani, etc. - not locked down.

There just isn't much as far as amenities to lock it down for. Small lobby, small public area out back, etc. I am not sure I would have spent 2 1/2 years taking photos of it going up if I'd known how hard it'd be to get photos after. Oh - and the pool area isn't much to speak of, at least from what I see over the fence. It looked small and crowded. I would expect to see many more guests from the BLT go to the CR pool than the other way around.

From what I've read elsewhere, the biggest perk - the upstairs lounge - could eventually be used for events that have nothing to do with the members. I read a long thread on it on another site, the lounge isn't really owned by the DVC.

I have heard that the rooms are nice, I'd not heard anything about them looking cheap. But I've not taken a tour of any sort.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

Love the NEW TO ME feature.

I can understand a DVC property having this lockdown mentality. But if I can't tour it, with ease, I'm not going to stay there.

It is a shame your didn't manage to score a tour, because I would have liked to read a real review, instead of this tiny taste.

Please do more NEW TO ME. Great idea.

• MiceAge Columnist

The DVC guy actually did volunteer to give me a tour, even arrange something private. But it was quite clear he was doing so to generate a sale, and I simply cannot abide by high-pressure sales tactics.

Someday I will attend a "normal" DVC sales presentation so I can write a miceage review. But I don't relish pressure cooker sales events, so I've delayed so far. Yes, I know, Disney is apparently much MUCH more low key than others. But this guy at the Contemporary leaned in that direction with me, and it's making me wonder if they are under more pressure than usual to sell.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Banned User

First of all, keep with the "New to Me" segment... I love seeing all these new details since I haven't been to the resort in three years.

Second, I'm definitely not a fan of how the Bay Lake Tower is secured to guests in DVC only. All other resorts are public grounds and the Top of the World lounge is even MORE secured... do you really need a DVC membership to browse some halls and look at some grounds?

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Mikado View Post
    My biggest gripe with the Bay Lake Towers is with the poor design of the tower itself - specifically, how it architecturally clashes so badly with the Contemporary Tower next door. There is nothing special or unique about this BLT design. It would be right at home in the skyline of many American cities, probably along Miami Beach, and it might fit right in up on International Drive near the convention center. Where it doesn't belong is next to the Contemporary.

I had never considered before just how 'cheap' the place might look, but it does (and I do tend to favor modern or contemporary design).
    Hmm...I think the bridge (judging by the pics) looks like a bigger clashing eyesore than the DVC tower itself. I was hoping they would have one of those moving belts in the airport cuz it looks like a long walk from Bay Lake Tower to the concourse. I wouldn't mind going down and walking over to the Contemporary over that sorry looking bridge. But I guess they gotta have some sort of access for the DVC guests.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast