Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: 10/11: Disney Dollars

Presenteeism has become such a downhill battle. Managers want to keep us but when you hit your max with points...it's the wood shed for you. Instead of keeping GREAT Cast Members and giving them a second chance they automatically fire them and try to hire new cast members who have been such a gamble with the company. You dont know how there disney performance will be and yet you aren't sure how long they will even stay with disney. for all we know, you see a new trainee one week and you never will here from them again. SO BASICALLY, THEY ARE TRYING TO FIX A LEAK THAT KEEPS DRIPPING! With the mandatory shift extensions....it's really hard to keep us. Some cast members I know have worked 14 hours shifts! And that's just in merchandise, I know foods is in deep trouble. And for a slow season...why am I still working 5 days a week? Nothing has changed since summer. The words ER (Early release) and ADO (additonal day off) are no longer in the disney dictionary. Sorry...this post has turned out to be a bit longer than I thought. Oh and btw...in correction to this article. The max points a CR can hit in one year is 24. Thats equivalent to 8 call outs or 16 lates. We can't miss 24 days in a year. That would mean that we are allowed 72 pts in a year.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Did you even read the article? You guys are given 3 chances, not one and then your gone. Geesh :l Over exageration!

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Sucka

With all the older CMs being fired for attendance (which should happen), you also lose those experienced CMs who were able to watch and help the newer CMs in past years. Now you are lucky to find anyone around with a "Class of 04" or earlier nametag.
    I also think when new CMs are being trained they talk to other CMs and hear what they have to say (and I can almost say the word is not good). This is a rumor but, I heard of an instance where some new CMs quite on their second day of On-the job training because the olders CMs told them what was going on).
    Also, about the unions trying to get higher pay for their "employers," they are weak. Some unions don't know how to negotiate with big companies. And when was the last strike (if any) at Disneyland. I am almost certain that in all of the union contracts at Disneyland, there is a no strike no lockout clause. Plus, you know most unions in California are to busy in Sac, trying to pass some stupid legislature for the better good of every union employee in the state.

Instead of keeping GREAT Cast Members and giving them a second chance they automatically fire them and try to hire new cast members who have been such a gamble with the company.
    With all the older CMs being fired for attendance (which should happen), you also lose those experienced CMs who were able to watch and help the newer CMs in past years.
    But how good are you, and what is your experience worth if you're not there?
    At any rate, I think it was a mistake for the new management team to suddenly "pull the rug out" from under people with the new enforcement of the old policy.
    I understand that this is the way the policy was written, but it would have been better to make an announcement to you all about the "crack down", and allowed everyone a "clean slate", rather than counting all the attendance points accrued during the "softer" period. Does that make sense?
    They should have let everyone have a clean slate, and then started counting the points accrued after they started going back to being stricter.

We can't miss 24 days in a year.
    Yes you can. You can call in for three (3) consecutive days, and each counts as one (1) absence. If you're allowed eight absences, then that equals 24 days. Although Al says that you can call in sick, and then call in for the next three days. I think he meant the next two days, for the three total days, but if he's right, that means you can miss thirty two days.

• Animatronic

Yay!!! More sub pictures!!! I love those sub pictures. Really. It's fun to see a ride contructed, or recontructed. I hope there's a way to sneak pictures after the monorail closes, maybe hold a camera over the wall?

• șoș Tom șoș

Disney could honestly take a page from Starbucks, which has lured a young generation to its shore with slightly competative pay usually 8-10 per hour but offsetting that prospect with partial medical benifits, access to a 401k, stock options and lots of free coffee.

I mean to say, its time Disney make itself the family it should be. Offer all employees a "partner status" similar to companies like Starbucks. Make them feel empowered. Attract locals who might have a decent paying job at a burger joint at 11 bucks an hour but doesn't get medical or free tickets to the park.

My friend who works parades says that CM's have heard rumblings they could soon loose the ability to write family and friends in, another sign of a company who is failing to offset low pay with perks that make it attractive to local college kids.

I just wonder what's so hard about simply showing up for work? To be sick a couple of times a year is one thing, but to just not come to work because you can get away with it is sad.

Disney's attendance policies, even post-Presenteeism are still astonishingly cushier than any other job that I've worked at. And thankfully too, with the park doing very well and us being short staffed, those points are required for days of if you have high seniority.
    I'm a CM, so you can guess my bias, but I'm thinking if Disney just raised the wages and able to staff their positions, they could do so without any additional expenses.
    Sounds crazy huh? But not so, it's the off-season and I am working 6 and 7 days a week. That equates to massive amounts of overtime and doubletime. I am not alone. And neither am I Foods. For the amount of overtime money the company is being forced to shell out, they could simply raise the wages by a buck or two, and the retension rate would rise considerably (I'm not saying that it would wipeout turnover. You're still looking at a place that has thousands of entry level no-skills required positions, there will ALWAYS a fairly high turnover no matter what).
    The Next Big Disney Thing: starts Jan. 3rd

• șoș Tom șoș

Quote Originally Posted by mickhyperion
    I just wonder what's so hard about simply showing up for work? To be sick a couple of times a year is one thing, but to just not come to work because you can get away with it is sad.
    When you goto work and work at say Blockbuster, Starbucks, a gas station, burger joint, etc- you simply put on a smock, an apron, a polo shirt, etc and drive to your work, park your car and clock in.

At Disneyland you probably don't live close because there is one of it and many of you, unlike your neighborhood coffee shop, restraunt or retail establishment. So you commute because well its Disney. Show up and park almost a mile or more away. Walk to a central location and wait to be picked up and transported to the Harbor Gate.

Wow now you have arrived, check your name badge in and they will go through your bag. Now you have two options from this point. If you have chosen to take your costume home with you, you wear it back and can proceed to your attraction, store, whatever. If you choose to pick up your costume you gotta plan for it, goto the costume lab, pick it up, change and then proceed to your whatever.

Now you get to trumph your way across the park to your whatever. Odds are good it might be an event- fireworks, parades, show, etc and odds are excellent that people will treat you rudly, ignore you or worse. Odds are you will have to yell and shout to get people to follow you or to be heard over the hum of the audience. Odds are someone doesn't like rules and will challange you and your 8 dollars an hour.

After all this, there are days any sane human being might not want to come in but he or she might want to come in the rest of the time and deserves to fake an illness and not come in.

I have never called in sick to play hookie, work always comes first but I worked there for 3 months and thank god for forgiveness because after I was hospitalized for 2 days after a brutual car accident I called in and they gave me several more days off while I aquired a new car. Months later I was taken aside and scolded until I explained my story and the manager used his common sense and gave me a chance.

I am not 100% behind the old system but it gave room for life's accidents- good people, great cast members have accidents, hickups and bad days and deserve some lee way in a job that is stressful. Imagine also that its far easier to go trade a shift with a friend at most places at Disney its not so much easy at all.

• Hey, that's not Rose!

Yah so at my Postal Service job, I am only allowed to call in 8 times a year, and you get a 2-3 days leeway, depending on how sick you are, and then you need a doctors note. How the hell can Disney get away with 36 call in's a year with 3 days??? That's 1/3 of the year!!!! I would soooo be willing to relocate and work at the park if it were for 12 an hour. That's what I make now. I mean I don't know what cost of living is for an appartment in the areas, but if I could live comfortably then I would do it. I have a background in food service, cashiering, and lotsa computer stuff. I think I would be good at ride operator, or food cashier. Al, you should convince Disney to start at an $11 an hour rate with benis, and then I will sooo move down there and get a job. I would never call in if I worked at the park, no matter how bad the customers treat me. I would be at Disneyland everyday for god sakes!!!! How awesome would that be. Plus, then I could spend all my off time there riding stuff. Please, lets raise the hourly starting rate and bring me and my bf down there, I know we would be some awesome CM's!
    It's Robin Hood I want!

Disneyworld 1987

• Rock Star Minion

Attendance revenue has been down, even as ticket prices rise.
    Interesting how during low season the AP program is advertised more heavily, in order to increase "attendance revenue" without necessarily increasing attendance.
    Surely there is a better way.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• World Famous Skipper

Disneyland.... seriously, I met my roommates once I think..

If you call in sick one day, then they assume you'll need the next two days to get better, which totals three. And if it's something serious, with a doctor's note you can extend that to four or five days without tacking on more points. It's true that there needed to be a crack-down or poor attendance, but it shouldn't be like "we've had this for forever.. didn't enforce it, so now we are, sucks to be all of you old-timers". They needed to start everyone back at zero points, and start from there. Even though a lot of higher seniority cast members did have poor attendance patterns, they should've been given a chance to fix them, those are my thoughts on the beast that is presenteeism. And is jungle seriously going down for rehab? I feel like I should've known that....

I'm a cast member, and have been for over five years. As much as some CMs complain about presenteeism, and the new discipline policies, I think the majority of cast (in my department at least) feel like it's something that needed to be enforced. I had a conversation just yesterday with a fellow CM where he told me that he had no sympathy for all of the CMs that were getting termed for points.

The new system is fairly lenient. If you're going to constantly call out sick, or no show, or show up late (which sometimes leaves locations empty, or makes everyone else struggle to fill your spot), then you deserve to go. We just recently got rid of 4 CMs that had been abusing the system for years, and nobody was sad to see them go.

Have we lost some good people because of this? Maybe a few. But the bad has far outweighed the good, as far as I'm concerned. My main complaint is people being late. I've only been late twice in two years. If I had my way, it would be zero, but I too know that "things happen", and sometimes there's traffic. But we have people who are late on a weekly basis, who say "what do you want me to do, leave from home earlier? I already leave an hour ahead of time!" My reply would be, "yes.. if it means you're here on time, leave earlier!"

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfanatic13
    Instead of keeping GREAT Cast Members and giving them a second chance
    The thing is... a GREAT Cast Member wouldn't have let their attendance get to the point where they would get discipline.

Now I don't actually work inside the Parks anymore, one of the reasons WHY I love my job, and we're not necessarily short-staffed in my little department, it also isn't very high on the Casting priority list. It's relatively stress-free, very laid back, and it's very Guest-oriented (but I'm not on the phones, yay!), which is what I love about it. However, I have friends still back in the Parks that ARE suffering though what Al has said... Cast Members who involuntarily getting themselves fired because of their attendance problems and then people just quitting themselves because they can't hack the "new" rules and therefore screwing over their fellow Cast.

I think Cast Scheduling is pretty much in a no-win situation right now... they had to take the first initial knee-jerk reaction of not granting ADOs or ERs and cracking down on attendance issues because of this "new" initative. They have shifts to fill and not enough people to fill them. As of right now they are not scheduling around your school schedule, like they used to, which I find horribly un-Cast Member friendly... but with the current situation in the Parks, I can see why they would have to do that because of the staffing situation, but it's still wrong of them to do so.

However, we have to remember this... our Guests do NOT care what's going on in your personal lives. They just don't... they only care that you are there to serve them.
    Last edited by Burnt Toast; 10-12-2005 at 12:58 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast