Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Re: 10/11: Disney Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen
    Yes you can. You can call in for three (3) consecutive days, and each counts as one (1) absence. If you're allowed eight absences, then that equals 24 days. Although Al says that you can call in sick, and then call in for the next three days. I think he meant the next two days, for the three total days, but if he's right, that means you can miss thirty two days.
    Call sick and call personals can be extended out to a total of three days and it's only 3 points. Call dependants can be used four times a year and they are NO points, but they can't be extended and they'll ask you who it's for. Go over four and it's 3 points each.

• Minion

Nothing new for Disneykat to see.

Last edited by Escapé; 10-12-2005 at 01:08 PM.

As a former Foods CM who gave up in frustration over the situation that is only just now trickling down to the rest of the resort, allow me to say first "I told you so" and then, because I'm just a leeeetle bit spiteful about the whole thing, "Har har."

As someone who has seen both sides of the issue, both as someone who was more or less always at their max points allowance due to being a mom to two small children (one of whom was born during my tenure as a cast member and hoo boy, nothing eats up your points faster than pregnancy and its assorted complications, appointments and whatnots) with limited availability who was scheduled against my availability fairly regularly, and also as a Working Lead who had to deal with the frustrations of running a location shorthanded due to people who just plain wouldn't show up for no better reason than they didn't want to and people still turning up on schedules even after they'd completely stopped showing up a month and a half ago, I've got a little perspective on it.

The good thing about the "old" system was that in theory, it gave Managers the leeway to work with people like myself or people who could be reformed into decent workers and use their own good judgement to tell who was worth working with and who was a lost cause. The bad thing about the "old" system is that Managers were frequently young and not that experienced, and the CMs who most needed to be cracked down on or let go were their friends or else they just weren't confident enough to be the "bad guy" and discipline them.

But then the problem with the "new" system is that there is no leeway, there is no working with people, it's just "here's your points, goodbye" no matter how good a cast member is otherwise, whether they are willing to try to work with Management and if there are extenuating circumstances. Conversely, the good thing about the "new" system is that it's much easier to just point to the paperwork and say "sorry, you're gone" without having to butch up and be a good leader and it does cut the much-needing-of-being-cut people who were regularly getting away with murder.

If I was given a choice between the lesser of two evils at this point in time when the resort is hemmorhaging workers and simply cannot find qualified warm bodies to fill the positions, though, I think I'd lean more towards the former. To choose right now to start whacking people for points without a "fresh start" is a puzzling choice when turnover is so high and hiring is going so poorly.

I'd also note, to those mentioning people who are "stealing" benefits by being classified as Full Time but not showing up for their hours, which I personally never witnessed in my three years in Foods (I wouldn't know about Attractions or Merch, though) it seems to me that all the people who have been working full-time hours since April nonstop despite being classified as Part Time workers on paper, they should be given benefits too, don't you think?

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by CounterWeight
    I'd also note, to those mentioning people who are "stealing" benefits by being classified as Full Time but not showing up for their hours, which I personally never witnessed in my three years in Foods (I wouldn't know about Attractions or Merch, though) it seems to me that all the people who have been working full-time hours since April nonstop despite being classified as Part Time workers on paper, they should be given benefits too, don't you think?
    Then you really haven't been paying attention, to be quite honest. In the five years I worked in Foods and the two years I worked in Attractions... I saw a good number of folks not really working to their job status, especially during the off-season. Hence the crackdown on RFTs and the RPTs that are still left not being able to shift change to "Off" with a CR or a CT. I would say Foods actually had more people doing this, because they aren't as critical to the operation as Attractions or Stores are.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    I would say Foods actually had more people doing this, because they aren't as critical to the operation as Attractions or Stores are.

Oh no you DI-INT.

Let me tell you something. If people came into the park and one of the kabillion stores selling the same plush toys and t-shirts as every other store was down, your average guest wouldn't even bat an eye. If the Jungle Cruise or the Storybook Canal Boats played a prerecorded spiel and ran without driving instead of having a Cast Member drive and narrate some people would be irritated and overall a piece of the "Disney Magic" would die, yes, but many others wouldn't know the difference. But get a giant group of hot, sweaty, hungry guests together on a summer day and ask them if they'd choose between either of those things and having a place where they can get a soda and a burger open and in a place where they won't have to traverse the entirety of the Resort to reach and I'm sure you can guess what they'd say 99.9% of the time.

I'm sure you can also guess which one operates at the highest profit margin. Attractions? No, they actually bring in negative revenue. Stores bring in some, but there is a far shorter profit on plush and t-shirts than there is in selling hundreds and hundreds of sodas a day to guests at fractions of a penny in cost for $1.39.

Those burgers and fries and pizzas and moon-shaped Krispie treats and whatnots don't make or sell themselves, despite what I'm sure the higher-ups in the Disney company would wish. And having a shortage of people to do that was shown just at the beginning of the summer when the complaints about closed locations and undertrained staff started to roll in in droves. The Foods department, and the people employed by it, are as vital a part to the resort itself from both a guest satisfaction and financial aspect as any other branch of the Resort you can name.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

The wage situation is just sad.

I'd go work at Disneyland in a heartbeat, but I live a little over an hour away...gas prices have sky-rocketed and it just wouldn't make any sense for me to drive that much every day, not with the kind of wages their paying.

They can't even try to compete with a fast food place? It's pathetic. They keep jacking up the prices for admission and none of the CMs see a remote increase.

Disney needs a reality check. If they want more people coming out to fill jobs, then they should increase the salary and benefits. Back in the day, if you worked at Disneyland, you were a star. Now they're exceedingly cheap.

If they raised the salary? I'd definitely apply for a job. It would be more forgivable with gas and everything else.

Perhaps this is one reason why Eisner made so much money for Disney...

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Wink Re: 10/11: Disney Dollars

Oh no you DI-INT.
    Nothing wrong with having a little pride in your department... but face it, most Guests don't really plan out their vacations with plans on which restaurants or fast food counters to eat it... exception being character meals and the Blue Bayou. They plan their vacation on Attractions and to a lesser degree, what material crap that they can bring home with them.

Look, I used to work in Foods... but look, regardless of what brainwashing Pressler and Harriss put us Foods Cast Members through (and they did)... they aren't the most critical operation from a Guest's standpoint. And I love the way how people always bring up the revenue arguement... well yah, the numbers in Foods is huge when you charge $3 for a $0.03 soda and you practically get all the snack/bottled drink products for almost next to nothing. It also helps that Outdoor Vending as a whole is part of Foods, even though some of their products that they peddle aren't even food related. If ODV wasn't part of Foods, you'd see that statistic that Foods brings in the most drop considerably.

Attractions makes no profit margin... but in reality the revenue from tickets should be attributed to Attractions. Like I said, in reality... most folks that visit us come for the Attractions, not for Food or Merchandise.

Anyways, didn't mean to start some sort of pissing match between departments... and I'm sorry that you think it's necessary to bring it down to that. I've worked in them all (except Merchandise, worked somewhere else for that experience) but the priorities with the Pressler and Harriss-eras were skewed to the wrong divisions. I never said that the Foods department (where I got my start at Disneyland) isn't important, like you are implying... I'm saying that because they aren't "as critical" as the other departments and has locations with more "droppable" positions and still run the location but still have a huge workforce overall. They were basically allowed to get away with more when it came to scamming the benefits system by not working even remotely close to the minimum number of hours based on their benefitted job status because there were a lot more Cast Members and less location critical positions overall... hell, I did when I was RPT in Foods and more then half the folks in Riverfront that I worked with that had benefits did too. It's completely different now with them basically removing the small business teams and moving to a "Cashier is a Cashier anywhere" system for the entire Resort, but that change came just right before the rollout of Presenteeism.

Not that other departments didn't do the same either... there were folks in all departments that did so... it's just that we hear a lot more about Foods because there was probably a lot more people doing it (like I remember it being) and willing to quit when the "rules" changed back to the actual system that was still on paper and always has been.

• UnExiled Minion

Oh no you DI-INT.
    Except for this phrase, I could swear that CW = Paul Pressler!

Answer me this: how many people would come if DL had only stores and food service? That's what Pressler didn't understand, either.

Conclusion: DL = Attractions. Food and merchandise are what keep it profitable. Everyone has its need to exist.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Quote Originally Posted by sediment
    Answer me this: how many people would come if DL had only stores and food service? That's what Pressler didn't understand, either.
    Answer me this: How many people would stay for more than an hour or two at Disneyland if there was nothing for them to eat or drink there? Some people would get by on snacks they could bring in a purse or fountain water, but judge from the complaints out the doors of City Hall about Foods lines and closed locations. It's a basic necessity. People come for the attractions. That is the main purpose of Disneyland. But Disneyland is not a charity. They have to at the very least cover their costs. How do they do that? By charging for food, for drink, for hats and toys.

Conclusion: DL = Attractions. Food and merchandise are what keep it profitable. Everyone has its need to exist.
    That's all I'm saying. They're all interdependant on one another. No one branch of the Resort is more important than the other in keeping it all afloat from both a bringing guests in perspective (Attractions) and keeping them there by tending to their basic needs (Foods, Custodial) and turning a profit in the end (Foods, Merch). My argument was with the statement that Foods CMs were somehow less important to the overall operation of the park than other CMs. All CMs are equally important in their roles to keeping the Resort afloat from a different standpoint.

• UnExiled Minion

I agree that everyone is important.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

I see that some people agreed with me about how the company should have let everyone start with a "clean slate" on the attendance, rather than making old points count for the "New"(actuallly,"Old") system. I also think that in addition to raises across the boards, they need to start giving cast members paid dressing time! This idea of making you go to wardrobe on your own time needs to go. Maybe it worked in the old days, but not now.

• UnExiled Minion

Quote Originally Posted by 9oldmen
    I see that some people agreed with me about how the company should have let everyone start with a "clean slate" on the attendance, rather than making old points count for the "New"(actuallly,"Old") system. I also think that in addition to raises across the boards, they need to start giving cast members paid dressing time! This idea of making you go to wardrobe on your own time needs to go. Maybe it worked in the old days, but not now.
    I agree with that as well. That "hourly" wage really drops when you have to drive 1/2 hour, followed by walking/tramming, then dressing, then walking some more to one's station before the clock starts. then, after the shift, clock out, change, walk/tram to the car and then driuve another half-hour home. If you tack on two hours of transportation and dressing to an 8-hour day, that effectively decreases the hourly wage by 20%. And that gets smart and productive workers thinking about alternatives.
    Some of that time got saved when CMs wear their clothes home and change there. I don't like that idea, though.

Some of that time got saved when CMs wear their clothes home and change there. I don't like that idea, though.
    That "Fast Track" thing needs to go as well. It, also, would not represent a change, but a return to how things were done in the past. Conversely, making people dress and go through wardrobe on their own time is just something that belongs in another era, an era when DL was THE place to work, with applicants being turned away at casting right and left. Those days are over.

I said this before on other boards. There is a larger societal issue reguarding hourly pay. The statistics have shown a widening disparity bewtween hourly and salaried wage earners. In addition average hourly pay has not kept pace with inflation. The interesting thing is that it appears that Disney is not only a part of this trend, but that their hourly wages have not even kept pace with the hourly wages in the local economy.

Looking at the societal issue: I remember in the 50's and 60's that hourly pay was competetive enough and retirement benefits good enough that people made a career out of being a retail clerk or supermaket check out clerk. Those days are gone. Because these wages are so low, it is impossible for someone to make a decent living in one of these jobs as a primary bread winner. So most of the people in these jobs are second wage earners or people that think of the job as temporary.

Robert Reich, Secretary of Labor in the Clinton Administration, has repeatedly mentioned this issue. I have yet to hear the Secretary of Labor in the Bush Administration address this issue. And quite frankly, I'm not holding my breath.
    Last edited by AlanH; 10-19-2005 at 12:38 PM.

• Super Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    ...most Guests don't really plan out their vacations with plans on which restaurants or fast food counters to eat it...
    Well, I may not be a normal park visitor, but eating is really the main driving force of my vacations. Attractions will always be around, everywhere. I can plan a dinner in the Blue Bayou, for example, and hit Pirates or HM either before or after. This is even more important in WDW, where there are many more fine sit down restaurants to choose from.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast