Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Re: 10/11: Disney Dollars

Quote Originally Posted by CounterWeight
    But then the problem with the "new" system is that there is no leeway, there is no working with people, it's just "here's your points, goodbye" no matter how good a cast member is otherwise, whether they are willing to try to work with Management and if there are extenuating circumstances.
    How many times can a person play the "extenuating circumstances" card in the average job? If you're continually late, or no show, whether there's a good reason or not, you're not of value to your employer, no matter how knowledgeable and experienced you are. I'm amazed that the situation got as bad as it did, and thrilled that management is holding their employees to an entirely reasonable standard of attendance.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    Well, I may not be a normal park visitor, but eating is really the main driving force of my vacations. Attractions will always be around, everywhere. I can plan a dinner in the Blue Bayou, for example, and hit Pirates or HM either before or after. This is even more important in WDW, where there are many more fine sit down restaurants to choose from.
    I don't recall saying "all Guests", I said "most". And... well, we aren't your "typical" Guests either.

Walk down the street and ask folks why they would go to the Resort... most will say the rides / attractions.

• DLR -> WDW Cast Member

Quote Originally Posted by danyoung
    How many times can a person play the "extenuating circumstances" card in the average job? If you're continually late, or no show, whether there's a good reason or not, you're not of value to your employer, no matter how knowledgeable and experienced you are. I'm amazed that the situation got as bad as it did, and thrilled that management is holding their employees to an entirely reasonable standard of attendance.
    Exactly! 100% agree with you there. I think folks, when they get fired, think that it's the last call out or late that put them over the top... and it's not. Got them even NEAR the top was all the other call outs or lates BEFORE the last one that put the nail on the coffin. If those folks didn't call out or be late all those times before, they would have been fine.

I'm just getting really tired of folks not taking responsibility for their actions and blame Disneyland like it's not their fault that they called out so many times to go over on points MULTIPLE times in one year.

The system is so lenient to begin with that when life's little emergencies do pop up, if you aren't running on the razor's edge all the time then you won't have anything to worry about. I have 3 points (two lates) for the entire year and I know that if something happens where I need to call out or be late, I can without having to worry about going over on points.

Try working for a place where you can't call out at all unless you find your own coverage, which was almost near to impossible. Doesn't matter if you are sick or dying or whatever, find your own coverage from another store or it's considered to be a no show (no overtime allowed either). Be thankful that you can call out at Disney and you don't have to worry about coverage... all you have to worry about if you'll go over on points (again, not a problem if you aren't running the razor's edge).

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Toast
    Walk down the street and ask folks why they would go to the Resort... most will say the rides / attractions.
    I agree that most people go for the rides. But in a discussion of what drives your daily schedule, I think food enters in at a pretty high point.

• Yes its that much fun!

Well we seem to have a very wide point of view in this article...
    first let me address that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Yes as CM's we get bupkiss, ziltch, zero, nada, ad nausim...
    But we do have the Disney Difference wich not only includes discounts on Disney stuff but discounts at the movies, Downtown Disney, AAA, Hotels, Car Rentals, Clothing and Shoe stores, Free entrance to any Disney resort, Discounted CM trips, (I'm going to WDW for 7 days with a friend for $1200 inluding airfare, hotel and transportation not to mention free access to all of the theme parks) and the list goes on. How many people can say that their company christmas party is at Disneyland? And while I will be the first to say that we need more money (the cost of living in the OC is outragious, my god did I just say "The OC") but honestly how many companies can you work for at 25 hrs a week and get benefits (Surely not KBF!) and still I do wonder what all the complaining is really about.
    Now to throw some numbers around...
    We accumulate points for all of the bad things we do. I.E. late= 1.5 call sick=3 etc. Since I started in '02 I have had a total of 9 points on my record and yes points do drop off every year. Nov. is my anniversary so you do the math.

Now for the problems that we face...
    as mentioned in the article certain things get removed and replaced, for example the closure boards..
    We as CM's have to come up with Disney ways to explain and deal with the complaints that result. Disney Co. does issue some standard info on how these issues should be handled but sometimes its truly hard to stand there and tell someone your screwed in a nice manner.
    For Example...
    we recently stopped renting wheelchairs to guests from the Guest Service Van the reason, we had credit card and other sensitive information being left in an unsecured area. Now while no problems ever arrose from the improper handling of that information they thought it was best to just stop the practice altogether. Of course as CM's we are stuck between a rock and a hard place trying to explain that Disney doesn't want to get sued for some sort of credit card fraud and you'll have to walk the 1000 or so yards to that front gate! My favortie is the increase in pricing. Parking is now $10 (for the few that don't know) and they have stopped the shuttle services from our sattelite parking lots (they never said why tho.).
    Anyway our explaination given for the increase...
    (and this is a direct quote from mngmt)
    "Ocassionally we need to adjust our prices to continue to give the same level of service that you've come to expect from the Disneyland Resort" of course you'll be walking to the main entrance we will still charge the same price as the other parking areas that have tram service!
    and the list goes on We are sorry that we ruined your vacation "Please try _____ attraction its just like (Place favorite closed attraction name here)"
    Well I think thats enough ranting for one night..
    (I've got an 8hr turnaround and its already after 1 am)
    and for those that dont understand I was off work @ 11:30pm and I have to be back @ 7:30 am
    "I am about to pack up 21 years of Disney memorabilia from around the world that hopefully my great grandchildren will not sell on eBay"
    Micheal Eisner

• Never Look Back

Quote Originally Posted by FromWithin
    (the cost of living in the OC is outragious, my god did I just say "The OC")

Well I think thats enough ranting for one night..
    (I've got an 8hr turnaround and its already after 1 am)
    and for those that dont understand I was off work @ 11:30pm and I have to be back @ 7:30 am
    Hmmm.....dont you just love those eight hour turn arounds. In stores you get off at 2 am when the park closes at midnight. That means you arrive at 10am sharp the next morning. Poor Main Street folks dont leave until 2:45. That is really my only complaint in stores, getting a closing shift. Oh well, other than that, I love working there.

I know that stupid show has forever ruined our county. I even catch myself calling it "The OC". (but then again, working at Disney gets a person real used to saying acronyms on a regular basis...lol)

• e komo mai

I always thought the name 'The OC' was off. I mean you don't say 'The Orange County' do you? Weird. I say 'Orange County' and never, ever 'The OC'. Bleh.

What's worse is that a lot of people don't even realize that there's a city of Orange. I say Orange, CA and they immediately say 'You mean Orange County?' I have to correct them. 'Yes, Chapman University is in Orange County but more specifically it's in the City of Orange.'

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234