• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/14: Hong Kong Disneyland - Part IV

Guest columnist Alain Littaye concludes his series with an exclusive interview with Tomorrowland show producer Tim Delaney. Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Huh?

Re: 10/14: Hong Kong Disneyland - Part IV

Just wondering... how does that photo qualify as a super-panoramic shot? It's about the same area that a normal 50mm lens would produce in one shot on 35mm film.

It is a nice photo, but seems to be rather misleading to call it a panoramic photo.
    -Tim

Wink Re: 10/14: Hong Kong Disneyland - Part IV

Looks like a fun place!

My question though, is this. At DL they replaced the 20 year old space mountain track (does anybody really know why even? - or is AL's version of "metal fatigue" correct?) BUT they don't replace the Matterhon track (40+ years old) but instead close it down for 8 weeks every year for refurb because "it's an old ride sir". What's up with that?

Thomas
    "Decisions are easy, if you know what your values are" - Roy Disney

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Man of mystery and

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TDSTOM
    Looks like a fun place!

My question though, is this. At DL they replaced the 20 year old space mountain track (does anybody really know why even? - or is AL's version of "metal fatigue" correct?) BUT they don't replace the Matterhon track (40+ years old) but instead close it down for 8 weeks every year for refurb because "it's an old ride sir". What's up with that?

Thomas
    The Matterhorn was on a multi year refurb program where parts of the track and show building were being rebuilt. Unfortunately, Space Mountain failed before it could be replaced, resulting in the long delayed reopening.

By the way, Matterhorn was down for more than just 8 weeks at a time. Some of the down time was extensive and even more than once a year. It got a major overhaul over the last few years.
    Find us on Facebook:

How do you support MiceChat? Join MiceChat GOLD!,

• Circle of Ancients

Nice Article, thank you.

The new Autopia sounds very cool. I wish DL's version would get the Alien landscape treatment.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Lol that is a Tomorrowland panormama because there is no width or depth to that land...

I wonder what the two smaller attractions are!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

I'm incredibly jealous of Hong Kong's Tomorrowland themeing and atmosphere. From the photos (especially the night time views) it looks so nice. The neon and lighting at night is amazing... If Tomorrowland in Disneyland Anaheim closed for another rehab with a complete budget and transformed into something as stiking and cool as Hong Kong's Tomorrowland, I would be all for it. It would actually be worth a big, long refurb, something that 1998 taught us to be wary about.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    I wonder what the two smaller attractions are!
    The HKDL Showcase on Main Street's Opera House has a mention of something called "UFO Landing Site" coming soon to HKDL's TL, along with Autopia... Could be a futuristic playground of sorts according to the rendering they exhibit there.
    ----------------------------------------------

All in all, a great article; enjoyable read. Merci Beaucoup Alain!

I never thought much of the Autopia ride, but reading Tim's comments about some of the changes it will incorporate (such as onboard sounds in the ride cars) do make me anticipate this addition to the park.

Also... I agree with the article and with Tim.. TL looks stunning at night; especially Space Mountain... I even think the supernova effect from DLP works better in this version of the ride (didn't see it in the DL version back on July 17th). Also, I just love the fiber optic lights on the big blue sphere in the centerpiece of the Orbitron.... Makes it come alive at night. KUDOS to Tim and the Imagineers on this project.

• Donald's #1 Fan

It looks simply beautiful, but I wouldn't trade DL's or WDW's TL for HK. The more I see the HK park, the more I feel saddened by the cheapness of the Walt Disney company nowadays. I can't imagine being in TL and having only Buzz Lightyear and Space Mountain to ride... because the rocket thing is something I can find in any regional fair out there.

After reading the show designer was the one that worked on California Adventure, I now understand why the park seems so boring, though.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta
    It looks simply beautiful, but I wouldn't trade DL's or WDW's TL for HK. The more I see the HK park, the more I feel saddened by the cheapness of the Walt Disney company nowadays. I can't imagine being in TL and having only Buzz Lightyear and Space Mountain to ride... because the rocket thing is something I can find in any regional fair out there.

After reading the show designer was the one that worked on California Adventure, I now understand why the park seems so boring, though.
    do u know how much the hk government and TWDC have put into this park? Although it is small, it is definitely NOT cheap. It might be the most expensive park, the most dollar spent per sq feet.

• Official Mice Chat person

The theme of there TL is great, but with such a great theme I think they could have done a little better. That's just my opinion anyways.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    The HKDL Showcase on Main Street's Opera House has a mention of something called "UFO Landing Site" coming soon to HKDL's TL, along with Autopia... Could be a futuristic playground of sorts according to the rendering they exhibit there.
    Oh. I guess...yeah. I knew about that one. Stupid me I was just thinking he was mentioning an actual attraction not a playground under the autopia tracks.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by HongKongDisneyland
    do u know how much the hk government and TWDC have put into this park? Although it is small, it is definitely NOT cheap. It might be the most expensive park, the most dollar spent per sq feet.
    I have no idea, but whatever they spent, it was far too much for a park with 3 or 4 "must do" attractions.

• Watch Your Language

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN
    ----------------------------------------------

All in all, a great article; enjoyable read. Merci Beaucoup Alain!

I never thought much of the Autopia ride, but reading Tim's comments about some of the changes it will incorporate (such as onboard sounds in the ride cars) do make me anticipate this addition to the park.

Also... I agree with the article and with Tim.. TL looks stunning at night; especially Space Mountain... I even think the supernova effect from DLP works better in this version of the ride (didn't see it in the DL version back on July 17th). Also, I just love the fiber optic lights on the big blue sphere in the centerpiece of the Orbitron.... Makes it come alive at night. KUDOS to Tim and the Imagineers on this project.

Don't expect much from "UFO Cool Zone"...might be another so-called attraction which could be basically some good looking fountains...