Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: 10/17: Tokyo Disneyland BOO! - Part II

Agreed. Great pictures overall especially the interior HM scenes. However, flash was used. Tsk tsk tsk.

• Creative Director

I have seen their halloween parade, and while loads of fun it is, Parade of Dreams is up to that standard and even more. Now, for their Disney's Dreams on parade, that is a whole other story.

Quote Originally Posted by tcsnwhite
    I have seen their halloween parade, and while loads of fun it is, Parade of Dreams is up to that standard and even more. Now, for their Disney's Dreams on parade, that is a whole other story.
    Agreed.

• Been Around the Block

Great photos- but they would indeed have been better without the flash. Speakers that hide in darkness do not look good when exposed to light!
    You had it half correct about the Sally figures; Sally in the music room is a static figure (in a swell pose- she loves the way Teddy plays!), but Sally on the stairs is indeed a true animatronic figure. She has head tilt and eye blink functions.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLurker
    Agreed.
    What about Disney's Dreams on Parade? Is it good?

I'm now really excited about what TDR will have for Christmas Season!

• Creative Director

Dreams on Parade is a fantastic parade created for tokyo's 20th anniversary, and still runs today. it is a long, beautiful procession that takes its visuals from the different lands of disneyland and their respective themes.

For the first time in my life I went to Tokyo Disney Resort for three days earlier this month. And I can honestly say that this wonderful photo essay doesn't even do it justice. Fantasyland, Toontown, and Westernland are all decorated for Halloween. Pumpkins and Halloween banners on the Mark Twain, Westernland dressed to the nines in scarecrows and pumpkins and ghosts, decorations all over Toontown, Park trash cans painted in Halloween colors with ghosts on the sides, random horses on the Fantasyland Carousel replaced with wacky ghosts, etc., etc.

Tokyo Disneyland puts as much energy and money into Halloween as Disneyland USA puts into Christmas. And it's simply wonderful.

But I have to warn anyone who is thinking of visiting Tokyo Disney Resort to realize what they are getting themselves into. The Japanese have perfected and elevated the Disneyland experience into something that is dramtically superior to the Disney theme park experience here in America. Their level of customer service from every single Cast Member you encounter is so thorougly better than anything any American Cast Member has ever provided me, in any North American Disney park at any time in the last 10 years, that I am now not as enamored of Disneyland USA as I was before my trip to Japan.

Every single Tokyo Disney Cast Member I encountered was flawless in their execution, and their inate sense of hospitality and pride in their work showed with every interaction. You can not pass a Cast Member without receiving a big smile and a spoken greeting of some sort. ("Konichiwa!" or "Yokoso!" or the greeting appropriate for the time of day). I will forever remember the impressive level of poise and grace the four hostesses working at the Enchanted Tiki Room displayed as they went about their business of welcoming us and introducing the show for likely their 25th time that day. And yes, they had FOUR hostesses working the Tiki Room on a rainy weekday night in October! One at the entrance, one in the pre-show lanai, and then two more who opened the doors and personally guided us into our seats before starting the show. And while the show performed, these immaculately dressed girls (in uniforms that looked hand-tailored) gracefully wandered through the theater clapping and swaying to the music, winking and flirting with the tiki totem pole figures, and waving at the singing birds. That type of experience plays itself out at ride after ride, show after show, restaurant after restaurant, shop after shop, popcorn vendor after popcorn vendor.

And don't even get me started on the level of upkeep and maintenance. Did you know that the ghosts in the graveyard portion of the Haunted Mansion ride are actually supposed to move and do things, rather than just wiggle a bit?! It's true! Every animatronic looked like it had just had it's yearly tune-up, every handrail was newly painted, every facade freshly scrubbed, every little special effect working and performing in a continuous parade of magical little details.

Tokyo Disneyland is FLAWLESS!

A visit to Tokyo Disney Resort can honestly change your perspective in such a dramatic way, that it is difficult to gain as much enjoyment out of our Disneyland once you have seen how much better the Japanese are at it.

Seriously, it's a very dangerous thing for a die-hard Disneyland fan to do. A trip to Tokyo Disneyland will forever change your perspective, and make you realize how much our standards have slipped here in this country in the past 15 years, and how inferior our Disneyland now is. And for a patriotic American like myself, that's not easy to admit. Visit Tokyo Disney Resort at your own risk, and realize you will never again look at Disneyland USA the same way.
    Last edited by TP2000; 10-19-2005 at 10:53 PM.

• Mentat

Cool beans! your reply is very believable after going to DL a month ago and seeing the total lack of magic. For those cast members who are doing thier jobs (40% maybe?), thank you. For the vast majority, (if you are thinking I am talking about you, you might be right...)You have no idea what it is like to recieve exceptional service-- and that is why you can't deliver it. When exiting a full cascade evacuatin of Splash Mountain on September 19th, I saw a few cast members who were more concerned about thier breaks than about getting guests back in the park and having fun...pretty shameful for people who make thier living pretending to please people.

I want to see TDL very badly. It is nice to hear a reply that gives it such credit.

Help please-- I am 6'-3" and 300 pounds...My wife thinks I'll feel crowded at TDL. Does anyone think she's right?

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    Help please-- I am 6'-3" and 300 pounds...My wife thinks I'll feel crowded at TDL. Does anyone think she's right?
    I think there might be some queues and experiences where you'll feel crowded. The queue at Pirates is split into two lines, and they are very narrow. You can make it through, but it will be a tight fit. The trains on the Tokyo Disneyland Railroad also have very narrow ingress points to each row, and it will take some maneuvering for you to get in to your seat. They also have some experiences, like the Castle Mystery Tour, that are guided by a Cast Member and it requires that you be mobile and able to walk quickly up and down narrow stairs and through tight passages. (Imagine the narrow parts of the Indy queue, then narrow it by another foot, and then walk quickly through there while a Cast Member spiels about stuff and 20 other people all try to keep up, and that's the Castle Mystery Tour).

Japan does not have anything like the wheelchair access that America does, and so there are many venues and public accomodations that simply require you to walk up stairs and walk through narrow passageways.

I definitely think you'll fell "crowded" at times, but as long as you can walk easily you should do just fine. Just be prepared for something very different than DCA's wide walkways and complete lack of stairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12