Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/17: Tokyo Disneyland BOO! - Part II

Guest columnist Chris concludes his photo tour of Tokyo Disneyland's Halloween celebrations. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: 10/17: Tokyo Disneyland BOO! - Part II

Wow that 2nd Jack animatronic is pretty cool, odd spot for it, but cool.

• Minion

"After seeing the inventive and detailed efforts of both overseas parks it kind of made me wonder why our stateside outposts have been so tentative (or reluctant) to more fully celebrate all hallow's eve here."

I think the answer in the U.S. is the fear and negativity about Halloween that has existed for a very long time. Puritannical ideas and religion has tried to put a damper on it.

Japan seems an ideal place for an all out celebration of Halloween since their beliefs in spirits, ghosts and such date back centuries in their culture.

The pictures are a real treat!

• e komo mai

Cool pictures. So how come Disneyland Anaheim can't have a Halloween parade? After the 50th brouhaha is over, they should consider it. It could be cool. Parade of Villains for Halloween or something...

• UH..LIKE DUH..

I love the fact that for the most part they have no idea what they are really celebrating, it's just all this orange spooky stuff. I bet some believe that Halloween originated from the movie "Nightmare BC". They go all out..and no matter what it always comes out "cuddly" over there. good for them.

• Animatronic

I always felt Halloween was the holiday for imagination, and in that regard, it goes well with Disney. I think they may have overdone the pumpkin theme though.

Hopefully Disneyland resort will look at how Tokyo does things full out and follows their lead.

• Mentat

Great photos and such. The part that just pisses me off is the author's comment:

"Of course their Haunted Mansion Holiday version is better than ours, but partly because their Mansion is longer like Florida's.

"OURS?" OK, "MY" Haunted mansion is Florida's. I attended DL a few weeks ago, and it became appearant to me why I choose Florida over California 100%. For those of you fooling yourselves, let me put it straight:

1) Disneyland is nostolgic, and is not impressive otherwise.
    2) The DL Resort is much improved from 15 years ago-- but is not worth the price of admission based upon WDW costs and overall value.
    3) DCA is a joke-- other than the backlot and condor flats-- there is NO SHADE. That is the whole deal for me!
    4) You pay double the money for a nice trip to WDW, and you get 4x the value-- my point here is the price of a 3-day park hopper versus the attendance factor. I was at DL on the 17th of September-- DL actually closed its gates because capacity was 60,000 PLUS. I am still astounded I payed to be treated like a cow. (Not the cult). This is NEVER the case at WDW.

OK, That is the point-- minus a couple of good jabs...Overall, thank you to the author who gave us the really cool pictures of Tokyo... I;m sure it beats Anaheim any day of the week. And, to those who would edit and punish me for telling it like it is...Kisses!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by cbkonczak
    Great photos and such. The part that just pisses me off is the author's comment:

"Of course their Haunted Mansion Holiday version is better than ours, but partly because their Mansion is longer like Florida's.

"OURS?" OK, "MY" Haunted mansion is Florida's. I attended DL a few weeks ago, and it became appearant to me why I choose Florida over California 100%. For those of you fooling yourselves, let me put it straight:

2) The DL Resort is much improved from 15 years ago-- but is not worth the price of admission based upon WDW costs and overall value.
    3) DCA is a joke-- other than the backlot and condor flats-- there is NO SHADE. That is the whole deal for me!
    4) You pay double the money for a nice trip to WDW, and you get 4x the value-- my point here is the price of a 3-day park hopper versus the attendance factor. I was at DL on the 17th of September-- DL actually closed its gates because capacity was 60,000 PLUS. I am still astounded I payed to be treated like a cow. (Not the cult). This is NEVER the case at WDW.

OK, That is the point-- minus a couple of good jabs...Overall, thank you to the author who gave us the really cool pictures of Tokyo... I;m sure it beats Anaheim any day of the week. And, to those who would edit and punish me for telling it like it is...Kisses!
    Whoa. I think by saying "ours" the author meant the Stateside version of HMH, he wasn't ignoring the fact that WDW exists. But since HMH only exists at one of the two Disney resorts in the US, HMH in Anaheim is "ours"

As for your jabs at the Anaheim Resort.. well, all I can say is wow. Someone is a bit defensive. Nevertheless, I suppose I'm a bit defensive for Disneyland since I grew up with it... So here goes my rebuttal:

You fail at giving specifics as to why WDW exceeds Disneyland and simply dismiss Disneyland as a nostalgic nothing park. Give me some reasons and maybe I'll give your argument a chance.

Currently, Disneyland is really worth admission price. The park is in top-notch condition and looks amazing. WDW parks, on the other hand, seem to show their age more in certain areas. Go to The Haunted Mansion at WDW and you'll see my point. You can barely hear the Ghost Host's narration in your Doom Buggy because you hear everybody else's aroud you. The condition of the Haunted Mansion and some other attractoins including Space Mountain, were becoming very poor. WDW parks appeared much less clean than their California sisters and in my experience, CMs were much less friendly than Anaheims as well (except for those in World Showcase). As for Disneyland not being worth the price, in my personal opinion, and although others will disagree with me and that's fine, but if you can visit Disneyland park for one day and not come close to experiencing everything, then I feel it's worth the price of the $56 admission. For me, I can't say that I'm getting ripped off if I can't finish the place in one day...

Many Disneylanders will agree DCA has immense faults. Nevertheless, WDW has 2 parks that come off as somewhat lackluster parks also.. MGM Studios is mostly shows with no real "rides" beside Tower of Terror and Rock N Rollercoaster and Star Tours. Most everything else is a big long show or slow ride/show combination. Animal Kingdom is as incomplete as DCA is. Very little to do with huge distances to walk. Sure, there is shade, but that's only because AK is themed as jungles and whatnot and huge amounts of plants are expected. One of DCA's problems that I'm sure you noticed and probably would have pointed out were the cheap rides... AK features a lot of cheap rides in DinoLandUSA.

4) You pay double the money for a nice trip to WDW, and you get 4x the value-- my point here is the price of a 3-day park hopper versus the attendance factor. I was at DL on the 17th of September-- DL actually closed its gates because capacity was 60,000 PLUS. I am still astounded I payed to be treated like a cow. (Not the cult). This is NEVER the case at WDW
    Disneyland closes its park when it is deemed necessary by the fire marshall. Of course its going to seem more crowded at Disneyland - especially when the park reaches capacity because its a SMALLER park. It's never the case at WDW because there are multiple parks and numerous hotel resorts. Not to mention, people are visiting Disneyland more now because of the 50th Anniversary ... how could you be "astounded" at the amount of people when you KNOW its the 50th Anniversary? Sounds like poor planning to me.. if you wanted lighter crowds you should have planned a trip not on a Saturday during a huge celebration, or waited until a Saturday after the 50th. If you wanted to expereience the 50th, then you have nothing to complain about when it comes to crowds- you're part of the crowd wishing to experience the 50th ... If you're interested enough the 50th to go check it out you should realize there are others just like you who want to check it out as well.

I don't mean for this to be an attack or mean to you in anyway... just showing points arguing the ones you presented.

Also, sorry to the rest of you for going majorly off-topic...
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 10-17-2005 at 03:17 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by desertdweller
    I think the answer in the U.S. is the fear and negativity about Halloween that has existed for a very long time. Puritannical ideas and religion has tried to put a damper on it.
    Seems like a great deal of churches have adopted Halloween as their own, or at least around here they have. I drive by a church on the way home from work everyday that has had a pumpkin patch in it's drive way for the past couple of weeks. Another church right down the street from me has a Halloween festival every year and attracts a ton of people to it. So while I could definitely buy that in the past, I think in recent years, that doesn't hold true anymore, least not with very many churches.

Yes, the pictures are great. I am curious about one thing though, I've read plenty of complaints about the Indy coaster in Paris being very rough, almost to the point of not being worth the trouble to ride. How rough is the Japanese version of the same ride?

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Rotel1026
    Seems like a great deal of churches have adopted Halloween as their own, or at least around here they have. I drive by a church on the way home from work everyday that has had a pumpkin patch in it's drive way for the past couple of weeks. Another church right down the street from me has a Halloween festival every year and attracts a ton of people to it. So while I could definitely buy that in the past, I think in recent years, that doesn't hold true anymore, least not with very many churches.

Yes, the pictures are great. I am curious about one thing though, I've read plenty of complaints about the Indy coaster in Paris being very rough, almost to the point of not being worth the trouble to ride. How rough is the Japanese version of the same ride?
    I agree, some churches around my area have Halloween carnivals, and for many years a church group put on an annual Halloween haunt called Scream in the Dark and they passed out flyers at the end with a verse from the Bible talking about overcoming evils or fears or something...

I think Halloween is becoming more and more commercialized as the years progress and I think with both Disney Resorts in the US having some sort of Halloween event now there may be more of a chance of getting more Halloween stuff in the US parks. I noticed a little bit of Halloween decorations in Frontierland in Disneyland a couple weeks back.. It wasn't anything very substantial, but they were clearly Halloween decoratoins... but I don't know if these are normal every Halloween in Frontierland..

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Earth Intruder

All I could think when I saw those pics is:

HOLY MOTHER OF GOD I NEED TO GO TO TOKYO NEXT YEAR.

(or at least when their ToT opens, hehe)

That "little" holiday parade is loads better than DL's parade of dreams. Don't get me wrong, I love the 50th parades but..... all that work for a frickin one month parade. Wow.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

• Photographer/Disney Lover

That stuff is pretty sweet. I agree with the arguments made by MasterGracey, most are logical statements.

1. Orlando has 4 parks....the crowds WILL be less becuase of this little fact...
    2. Disneyland is the ORIGINAL! I love it for what it is and If I sometime get the chance to visit WDW, so be it. I like what I have.

Disneyland's HMH is really fun, and for us APH's we look forward to the changes in a great ride that is one of a kind.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

• Having a Grand Day!

Great Update...

There are Huey, Dewey and Louie Costumes????!!!????

Great pics, but I do have one thing to say:

It looks like your interior pictures of the Haunted Mansion were taken using flash photography. In addition to disturbing the spirits, it's not a very nice thing to do to your fellow guests who are trying to enjoy the attraction. Shame on you.

• Minion FOREVER!

Thanks for the pics and the article!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast