• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

1/12: Mickey, it's Cold Outside

Working the Walt Disney World Marathon... Discuss it here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: MiceAge.com - A different look at Disney...
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

Riverside and Garden Grove, and everywhere in between.

Re: 1/12: Mickey, it's Cold Outside

Nice article. Thanks.

The WDW Marathon exists for one and one one reason - to fill rooms following the Holiday Peak when guests are less likely to travel. The company makes a killing on the event, especially because the 6,000 volunteers are just that volunteers. Even if they give away comp tickets, their *still* making money off the event because comp tickets are considered to a zero-cost item - something that doesn't cost the company anything per se.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by FrankieD View Post
    The WDW Marathon exists for one and one one reason - to fill rooms following the Holiday Peak when guests are less likely to travel. The company makes a killing on the event, especially because the 6,000 volunteers are just that volunteers. Even if they give away comp tickets, their *still* making money off the event because comp tickets are considered to a zero-cost item - something that doesn't cost the company anything per se.
    Don't kid yourself ... EVERYTHING Disney does is to make money. Why should the Marathon be any different?

Doesn't mean it's still not a great event.

• Seasick

Interesting article.

Funny how we get used to whatever climate we live in. I can barely be bothered to put on gloves when it gets as cold here as it did for you. Jeans, jacket, and t-shirt and I'm fine. If I wore the layers you did I'd be sweltering!

Volunteering for the marathon sounds like fun for the most part, and worth it terms of swag. However, it makes me contemplate whether I would volunteer for a for-profit entity such as Disney.

Did that thought cross your mind Kevin? Do you think "why am I volunteering for and event that will add even more profit to a company which is raking in dough like crazy?". Would you have done it if there was less swag or if you didn't have a website to write an article about it for?

Just curious, not trying to be judgemental or critical of your decision to volunteer.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

I had to grin at your "statistics": I work in a commercial laundry and often have stuffed a four-figure number of hospital blankets into a folding machine before it was even lunchtime. And as such, can definitely empathize to an extent with all of you getting those umpteen-thousand blankets prepped! And in the freezing cold: props to you. Maybe I'll give you all a hand next year if I'm in the area.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Smile Re: 1/12: Mickey, it's Cold Outside

Great article! I've thinking of volunteering for the 1/2 Marathon Weekend at Disneyland in September. Do you know any information about it?

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.