Thread: 10/24: DCA Boo!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

10/24: DCA Boo!

Mickey's Halloween Treat debuts at California Adventure. Discuss it here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Minion

Re: 10/24: DCA Boo!

ORDDU: A dear friend of ours just attended the event on Saturday night, October 22nd, and said he had a wonderful time. Still, he felt the event was a dress rehearsal for next year--when they may do even MORE to celebrate the Halloween season. He said it was odd that they didn't have any of the Disney villains out for meetings and greetings, though. The Magic Kingdom has them ALL out and about for their Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween.

ORWEN: May I take this opportunity to say Happy Halloween to you, Al, duckling?

ORGOCH: Stop tryin' ta scare the pants off somebody, sister!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva
    ORDDU: A dear friend of ours just attended the event on Saturday night, October 22nd, and said he had a wonderful time. Still, he felt the event was a dress rehearsal for next year--when they may do even MORE to celebrate the Halloween season. He said it was odd that they didn't have any of the Disney villains out for meetings and greetings, though. The Magic Kingdom has them ALL out and about for their Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween.

ORWEN: May I take this opportunity to say Happy Halloween to you, Al, duckling?

ORGOCH: Stop tryin' ta scare the pants off somebody, sister!!
    Yes...Happy Halloween to everyone!!!!

• e komo mai

The Halloween themed Disneyland events seem to always have had their problems. The highly praised 90's version that Sue talked about had its problems, too.
    I remember getting a handout saying that at one point in the evening, "Maleficent would rise from Tom Sawyer Island and summon a ghostly pirate ship from the foggy Rivers of America". That never happened.
    In fact, they didn't theme the Columbia at all. A friend and I rode it and we went around the island and the only thing they did was put a white sheet over a moose at the water's edge. I'm totally serious here. Even the CM on the microphone made fun of it. Really, really lame-o stuff.
    Maleficent never showed up except as a face character and a tall inflatable balloon at the entrance.
    The live CM pirates on POTC were cool. One popped out at you in the dark cave (that was neat) and one was locked in a cell and spoke to people as the sailed by.
    There were also live people walking around the Haunted Mansion. There was a bride on the balcony as you entered and for some reason a CM dressed like Dracula near the graveyard. (???)
    Anyway, I'm also not surprised people didn't come in costume for this event. Lots of people know about the 'no costume policy' for Disneyland and figured it applied to DCA as well.

• Closed Account

I truly enjoyed Mickey's Halloween Treat! It was fun running around as Captain Scalywag and his Wench!....Pig Man and Pig Woman from Twilight Zone (although very few people got the costumes and connection as we rode Twilight Zone Hollywoood Hotel Tower of Terror).......and the ever popular Jessica Rabbit (our friend was made for the part!)

The lines were long but the strategy was to ride the rides, spend some time with Crush at Turtle Talk, and return for candy later. We collected all the stickers hoping to receive some type of commemorative pin at the end. At least they gave one the previous year when we attended Tim Burton's Nightmare Before Christmas event! We also waited until the very end of the evening when there were NO lines and cast members were dishing out the candy just to get rid of it! Our bags nearly fell apart!

Adult costumes were rather lame! Some were commendable but others appeared to have no effort put into them! There were quite a few children's costumes that were excellent....I got into a heated battle with a 7 year old Emporer Sith Lord as to who was stronger......a Captain Scalywag pirate or the Emporer Lord of the Sith! I believe it ended in a stalemate! Argh!

I recall the 1996 was the best even that I had attended at DL! The decorations were great and even having cast members embedded into the rides added more fun...such as the forth singing pirate with the other three audio animatronics!!! Remember that? That year I was Peter Pan, my wife Wendy was of course....Wendy, and most of our other friends were pirates! What a blast!

Overall I give Mickey's Halloween Treat a 8 out of 10! Improvements could be made in the following: more merchandise, a little more time to pick up photos, some sort of commerative photo frame, and maybe extend the hours so that people can enjoy the rides more! OH YEAH!!! Also let people into Disneyland after the fact WITH costumes! How can you not want to ride Pirates of the Caribbean as a pirate?

• Closed Account

About the NO costumes in Disneyland...I think if be fair if children were not able to dress in costume as well! Fair is fair regardless of being an adult (large child) or small child!

Besides I saw a rather strange group of "goths" running around the park with leather, chains, red/blue hair, high bulky boots, and striped socks....wouldn't that be considered a costume? Not to mention a strange looking woman running around looking like a character from the actual Alice In Wonderland novel complete with a 5 foot staff with a pewter rabbit on the end.....now that could be considered a weapon! I am sure glad I didn't bring my REAL pirate cutlass!

Bottem line! BRING BACK THE NOT SO SCARY HALLOWEEN AND PUT HALLOWEEN BACK ON THE DISNEYLAND MAP! If TDL, DLP, and HKDL all have great Halloween themed evenings during the 50th celebration, why not DL!?

• Vehicle rotating backward

The idea doesn't appeal to me, watching a bunch of kids stumble around the parks nearly blind in their masks amongst the older goofs.

Okay, sorry, I'm the total (Unca) Scrooge when it comes to Halloween. I'll admit it's far from my favorite holiday. Moving on, it seems like this went down fairly well and they did a pretty good job.

I think the reason the costumes have been thrown out at DL is because they provide too much anonymity to rule-breaking. You have 40 guys around the park in Darth Vader costumes. One rudely beans a guest and runs off. Which one did it? Who knows? It's just a hassle for those whose job is throwing people out of the park.

Knowing the young adults of America these days, it seems like that kind of thing is much more likely now than a few decades ago. Remains to be seen if there does develop a problem, and if they'll do something about it. I guess if some victim complains and says "I'm not coming here again," they can respond "This is DCA, were you really going to come back anyway?"

At a table in front of the French Quarter Market

We went 10/22. First of all, it was worth $15 each just to be able to ride the rides for 3 hours with no lines, especially after spending the day at a packed DL. My kids went on Mulhulland Madness so many times in a row I lost count. We enjoyed the halloween stuff, even though, as the article says, no information about the activities was available before you entered DCA, so we had no idea what to do when we got in. We weren't even given the guide and had to go back and ask for it after we saw other people with it. Despite the lack of coordination, it was charming. I esp liked the live scarecrows.

• done

I'm not a particular fan of Halloween - creepy stuff just isn't my thing, and I've never been a costume kind of person, but the husband and I went to Mickey's Halloween Treat on Friday night. I thought we had a great time, but because we didn't wear costumes, there is apparently something wrong with us, we were just sticks in the mud, and we couldn't possibly have had a good time because we were in regular clothes.

And to be perfectly honest, there were a few adults in costume who, imo, really ought not to have been or should have picked something else. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyMania
    The idea doesn't appeal to me, watching a bunch of kids stumble around the parks nearly blind in their masks amongst the older goofs.
    Masks were not allowed. Your face had to be completely uncovered and nothing could impair your vision.

I also resent being categorized as an "older goof!"

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini Cricket
    The Halloween themed Disneyland events seem to always have had their problems. The highly praised 90's version that Sue talked about had its problems, too.
    I remember getting a handout saying that at one point in the evening, "Maleficent would rise from Tom Sawyer Island and summon a ghostly pirate ship from the foggy Rivers of America". That never happened.
    In fact, they didn't theme the Columbia at all. A friend and I rode it and we went around the island and the only thing they did was put a white sheet over a moose at the water's edge. I'm totally serious here. Even the CM on the microphone made fun of it. Really, really lame-o stuff.
    Maleficent never showed up except as a face character and a tall inflatable balloon at the entrance.
    The live CM pirates on POTC were cool. One popped out at you in the dark cave (that was neat) and one was locked in a cell and spoke to people as the sailed by.
    There were also live people walking around the Haunted Mansion. There was a bride on the balcony as you entered and for some reason a CM dressed like Dracula near the graveyard. (???)
    Anyway, I'm also not surprised people didn't come in costume for this event. Lots of people know about the 'no costume policy' for Disneyland and figured it applied to DCA as well.
    I went to that event as a kid. I would have been 12 I think. Anyway, I remember having a blast. The Rivers of America had tons of dry ice in it, making frontierland incredibly foggy. I remember a couple figures on the waterfront decorated for Halloween for the Columbias trip.

I also remember some old west spirits running around and dancing in the fog. Not scary but spooky. The live CMs on Pirates and Mansion were incredibly awesome. As for the Maleficient thing, I remember her rising up from the moat of the Castle and covering the castle with projected green vines. That was awesome.

• Banned User

Hey I was right behind the three witches in line for Mickey and Minnie! There was a family behind them with a little boy, and then my mom and I were behind them. You three looked awesome!

• Creative Director

If Disneyland would just hire me, I could create an awesome Halloween Parade for the event!!!

this event needs a parade!!!!!