• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

3/3: Bringing Disney Home

Kevin writes about those times when you need a little bit more, plus he offers a quick WDW photo update and responds to reader e-mails. Talk about his latest column here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Gepetto 2

Wow! That WAS A SURPRISE! Thanks Kevin! Stoked my day!

I might add that the 'whole' book is not up yet...the entire text IS but the many pages of Exclusive Dark Ride Images and Photos are yet to be captioned for the online version.
    A slight Med problem is keeping me from the task at present but these images will make it there as soon as I can.

Doug
    http://SpookyBook.com
    'Scary Dark Rides' Now in Hard & Soft Cover!
    The ONLY Dark Ride Book.

• Huh?

Just a note, DisneyDeals has been around for quite a long time, almost as long as Disney Auctions has been, so it's far from a new player in town. It's part of Disney Auctions, but made as a seperate entity -- a bit of a Disney Auctions spin-off. It's mostly the outlet for the Disney Store/Catalog, but occasionally you'll find park items, too.

You'll find a link on disneyauctions.com, which has been linked there for a couple years now.
    -Tim

• MiceAge Columnist

^ Whoops! Mea culpa on that one. I had no idea that Disney Auctions actually ran deals from two different eBay monikers (are there even more?)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Minion

I found this listed on www.antiquecast.com this morning. I'm sure these are some high end items but MC members in the northeast might want to check it out.

EXCLUSIVE DISNEY COLLECTORS AUCTION

MAY 7, 2005

IN CONJUNCTION WITH DISNEYLANDS 50th ANNIVERSARY

On May 7, 2005, at 11:00am at the Publick House Historic Inn, in Sturbridge Massachusetts, Michael’s Auction House will hold one of the most exclusive Disney Collectibles Auctions ever.

Michael’s Auction House is proud to present for auction the Private Gallery and comprehensive Disney collection of David J. Adams. David and his family have been frequent guests of the Walt Disney Company and have met and befriended many Disney artists and celebrities over the years. During that time, they have opened their gallery to many Disney admirers, enthusiasts and collectors, as well as Disney employees and Cast Members.

This impressive collection includes many limited edition signed pieces of art, from such renowned Disney artists as Marc Davis, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnson, Charles Boyer, Don Williams, Carl Barks, Marc Delle, John Hench, Randy Souders, and more. Included as well, in what many call one of the most extensive and inclusive Disney Collections on the east coast are original autographs of Walt Disney, Fess Parker, Haley Mills, Annette Funicello and the rest of the original Mousketeers. There are also autographs by many of the people who gave voice to Disney animated characters, including the late Adriana Caselotti (Snow White) and Betty Lou Gerson (Cruella DeVeil).

Mr. Adams’ gallery also contains literally hundreds of pieces from the popular “Walt Disney Classics Collection”. Most date to the original year of issue and have the first year issue backstamp on the bottom. This prized collection includes many limited edition, Gold Circle, and special event pieces, as well as all the Disneyana Convention pieces. Many are autographed by the original design artist.

The body of an Autotopia car, from the original ride at Disneyland in California, will be featured in the auction that should bring collectors from all over the globe.

Those individuals who fancy “Club 33” collectibles will be happy to learn that one of the original “Club 33” Chairs, will be auctioned off to the highest bidder. There are very few of the original black leather chairs in existence and only a small number were made available to the public. Many went to Disney Executives. Many other “Club 33” pieces will be offered as well including commemorative plates and stemware.

Among the additional rare and collectible art pieces to be auctioned off will be a twenty four inch tall signed bronze statue of Donald Duck by the legendary Carl Barks entitled “Tantrum On The Way”. The auction will also feature an original “one only” framed crayon drawing by Mr. Barks, and numerous other signed pieces from him as well, including limited edition sculptures, artwork, and tiles.

Other rare lots will include a signed Charles Boyer figurine titled “ Family Dinner”. It is numbered 84 of 1000. A large signed limited edition charger plate numbered 23 of 25 by Elisabete Gomes, entitled “Kiss the Girl”, will be sure to peak the interest of the serious collectors as will dozens of additional limited edition pieces by Ron Lee, Lladro, Laurenz, Paddy Gordon, Guiseppe Armani, Geobel, Department 56, Lenox and Waterford. All include certificates of authenticity and original signatures by the artists.

Pins, dozens of signed first edition books, rare pieces from the Disney archives, hundreds of Christmas figurines and decorations, and scores of Disneyana Convention items will round out this Disney Auction.

The auction will be held May 7, 2005 at 11:00am at the
    PUBLICK HOUSE,
    Route 131,
    STURBRIDGE, MASSACHUSETTS.

The Publick House is easily found near the intersection of I-84 and the Massachusetts Turnpike. Take route 20 off the Massachusetts Turnpike to Route 131 for 1/2 mile to the PUBLICK HOUSE.

PREVIEW WILL BE SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2005 FROM 9-11AM.

For additional information please contact Michael S. Minney
    [email protected] or 413-885-2437

[email protected]

MICHAEL'S AUCTION HOUSE DISNEY AUCTION

Don't believe everything that you read in this article about Extinct Attractions Club. Take everything with a grain of salt... talk to those who buy the DVDs. They are good, no, great... but you'd better not be expecting them soon if you ordered some.

• Huh?

It didn't take me too long to get my order, but I never did get all of the ones that I was supposed to get -- got duplicates of some of them instead. I procrastinated too much on returning them for exchange, so not sure if he'll do the exchange anymore. I'm quite forgetful like that sometimes.

Eh... despite the problems, they're still highly reccomended DVDs.
    -Tim

• DL Fanatic

Sequoia National Park, CA (trying to get to Orange County)
    Wow, a very different from Mr. Yee. I wonder if the Disney Corp. has any sort of arrangement with any of the auction participants.
    Best interview answer: My biggest weakness is my honesty...I can never remember my lies!

• ...or just Tonny

Kevin writes about vacation planning DVDs fro Disneyland. However I can't fin anything about the on the official website. Are these DVDs no longer available?

I never remembered vacation planning videos for Disneyland, just WDW and the DCL. Perhaps I am wrong.

I want to reiterate... take every comment about EAC with a grain of salt. My warning to you.

• The Original Attic Ghost

Extinct Attraction DVDs

Just a bit of warning on the Extinct Attractions DVDs. They are far from perfect. I've had problems with 4 or 5 where some features would not play or were not included on the disc as described on their site and/or their packaging. I've had a couple that get stuck and stop.
    The best part of the DVD is the documentary at the start of the disc, which not all DVDs have. The doc is followed by home movies of the attraction being featured. Some include footage that is hard to see (Inner Space, Subs, etc.)
    Their newer offerings, like Haunted Mansion Vol 1, are more professionally put together. They do upgrade some of their older titles with new interviews.