Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

11/1: Taking the Fifth?

A New Walt Disney World Park?, Pixel Pursuit, More... Discuss it all here!
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• time to go

Thumbs up Re: 11/1: Taking the Fifth?

A Villains-themed thrill park for a fifth gate at WDW? That's a Diznoid wet dream!

But... it MUST have the following:

Built with twice the original budget of DAK at minimum, three times is preferable.

Opens with a minimum of three MAJOR E-Tickets ($100 million plus each).

At least one "traditional" coaster that is NOT inverted nor suspended; could be indoor like Mummy.

Features high-tech thrills such as the robocoaster system originally proposed for "Incredibles" for DCA.

Developed by a team of experienced Imagineers, lead by Tony Baxter, all of whom "get" the concept of "themed thrills."

Given the significant lack of "centralized thrill rides" in the Orlando area, this park has the huge potential of being a major hit, provided it's not done on the cheap. Give it to someone like Tony, who understands both detailed theming and thrills, and watch the 12- to 30-year-old adrenaline junkies flock to this fifth gate!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Re: 11/1: Taking the Fifth?

The new road we all know is happening. If the land over there is being cleared then Kevin's speculation is good, especially since that area will allow for new hotel areas (once Disney ever needs them again). However if it turns into anything, we'll see.
    I can see a villian themed park...but I don't see one based off total thrill like IOA...IOA has its fans but like Kevin said Dr Doom, Duel Dragons, Hulk, they are all unthemed off the shelf. Rides like Dudley Do-Right get compared lower than Splash because Splash still has ride and story after the drop...Disney could be heading towards making more mountains but as far as making their own themed queue Six Flags (IOA) park, I don't know.

In response to Blue Sky/\ Disney doesn't nessesarily need triple the budget of AK. You add in inflation to make up the difference, but remember this park if it was a Villian styled MK doesn't need all the money for backstage habitats and hospitals and all the millions they spent on the animals.

This was a fun read and could be a fun discussion though.

• time to go

Sad Re: 11/1: Taking the Fifth?

Quote Originally Posted by tloolgb
    In response to Blue Sky/\ Disney doesn't nessesarily need triple the budget of AK. You add in inflation to make up the difference...
    ... and you end up needing triple DAK's original budget of $800 million, if you don't want off-the-shelf weakness like Dr Doom/Maliboomer, Mulholland Madness, or Primeval Whirl.

If Disney is seriously considering a Villains-themed thrill park for WDW, they should FULLY commit themselves to doing the job correctly, or simply not do it at all. DCA and Walt Disney Studios Paris (and possibly HKDL) were fiscally painful lessons to learn, about "questionably successful" parks done way too much on the cheap.

At least I would hope that Disney learned their lessons. But the jury is still out.

• Banned User

maybe thats why i saw large smoke on the 27th coming from the distance..

-looks for photo to put up soon-

-found it-

Last edited by figment1986; 11-01-2005 at 11:31 AM. Reason: found photo

• Former Epcot CM

Forgive me for not being remotely excited.

I have just returned from a trip to WDW. I have been overwhelmingly pleased with the state of DAK (especially, I now love that park), Epcot and MGM, but the state of the Magic Kingdom disappoints me. No E-tickets for years, the word 'maintenance' is profanity, and all these pictures of Disneyland being done up are making me green.

Yes, Disneyland is 50, it deserves the fantastic facelift by far, but that doesn't mean standards should be higher there than any other park. The Magic Kingdom is the icon, the symbol, the wienie of Walt Disney World, and was the first park there. It is the essence of WDW, yet it is the least recognised by Team Disney Orlando. It survives only on the legacy of being the closest cousin to Disneyland, which is pure, concentrated magic. The Magic Kingdom has more dignity than to rely on another park's guidelines to succeed.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Disney Prince

A 5th park is innevitable...I just wish it's an American version of DisneySea....

• In Technicolor!

I totally agree with the DisneySea idea for the next Orlando park.

While I might enjoy a Villians/Trills park personally, the 'average tourist' would probably prefer a Disney-fied Sea World.

After 'EastCoastDisneyland', 'WaltsImmersiveTomorrowland', 'EisnerMustBeatUniversaland' and 'Nahtahzuland', what's left?

'EigerMustBeatSeaWorldland'

Pedantry:

The Orlando Sentinel may have run its article about the Western Expressway (SR 429) last month, but the plans have been kicked around for over a decade. Parts of it (U.S. 441 to SR 50) opened in 2000. The segment to U.S. 192 is scheduled for completion by the end of the year, and the last segment to I-4 in the first quarter of 2006 (I was by the I-4 interchange site on the 23rd, and I think that schedule is reasonable).

I first read about WDW's donation of right-of-way in 1999. Most likely, they did it in exchange for the interchange to the park access road. The land was valued at about $7 million at the time; with the interchange as-designed looking like a $20 million project, that's a good deal to them. I first read about the plans for the WDW access road nearly a year ago on another board. I see no reason why the trends in road construction costs throughout Florida (e.g. up dramatically, sometimes doubling) shouldn't apply to WDW, so my guess is they probably had something more like a $25 million tab in mind. Now that the state toll road agency is styled "Florida's Turnpike Enterprise" and tries to act in some ways like a private corporation, it's very big on these types of land-for-access horse trades.

Also, don't discount the traffic from the midwest via the I-75 and the Florida Turnpike as the prime mover for this project. There is the Disney welcome center in Ocala, and a lot of advertising in that corridor. SR 429 is a considerable shortcut that avoids the stop-and-go of U.S. 27/192 and the awfulness of I-4 in the International Drive area.

• Minion

DisneySea would be an excellent counter against IoA. I'd love to see it put in that nice plot of land.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• Photographer/Disney Lover

My two cents....

1. Disney has a lot on the line at DLR, espcially at DCA. They need to expand and re-theme it, if they want more business. Its a great park, but can, and should be a lot better. Also, the focus for the next months is DLR. Yes they are celeb. at all the parks, but DLR is the original park, and they need to recognize that it needs more work.
    The management at DLR has become stronger, and is really keeping things going well. Living near DLR does make me somewhat biased, but, Disneyland needs things before anyother Disney theme park. The numbers in the parks are high, but the people not in line are walking around, thus limiting the capasity. They do need to add two more attractions, and utilize the Fantasyland Theatre. Doing this will bring them more money.

2. WDW is massive. They have four parks, and five if you want to count DTD. (its huge...it has its own map) Right now, they are expanding their parks, such as DAK. This will bring more people into these high capasity parks, allowing them to keep more people on the property, and getting their money. Eisner was keen on expanding WDW more than DLR. Now its their turn, and with that strawberry field they own, a third park at DLR would make more sense for Disney.
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

• Former Epcot CM

I will call you biased, if you are comparing Downtown Disney to a park. You seem pretty intent on making WDW the bad guy, and I agree, I think it is because you live near Disneyland. I wish Downtown Disney was a theme park I really do.
    Shiny and New

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California

July 2012 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• Photographer/Disney Lover

Quote Originally Posted by Speedway
    I will call you biased, if you are comparing Downtown Disney to a park. You seem pretty intent on making WDW the bad guy, and I agree, I think it is because you live near Disneyland. I wish Downtown Disney was a theme park I really do.
    I made sure I posted it in my post...but here it is again.

and five if you want to count DTD. (its huge...it has its own map)
    I didnt say I was counting it. Its a if statement, not a statement of certainty. next time, please read more carefully.

And no, WDW is not the bad guy. I am mainly trying to say, where is the love to DLR? WDW got a new park in '98 and a lot more hotels, to keep people on the property. That was the main goal of the Coorperate offices at the time. Now we need that at DLR. I think thats a fair and just oppinion, dont you?
    "Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money." ~ Walt Disney

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy54
    Eisner was keen on expanding WDW more than DLR. Now its their turn, and with that strawberry field they own, a third park at DLR would make more sense for Disney.
    First, let's get a second DISNEY park.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Donald's #1 Fan

Q: Why would anyone be excited about a "new" park when what is needed is to pump up some money and excitement to the current parks?

Epcot is OK, I guess. MK *desperately* needs new rides, and not like Stitch. It also needs some TLC. DAK is far too boring. It needs rides, a theme, more atractions, more of everything! And, although my two favourite thrill rides in the world are at MGM (RNRC and TOT)... how long has it been since they added something as spectacular as those rides?

The money they save by not building a new park should be spent in their existing parks... they need it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast