Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

4/27: Vinyl Groove

Vinylmation, Forgetting story at Disney World, discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Vinylmation, Forgetting story at Disney World - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: 4/27: Vinyl Groove

I'm staggered that people get roped into buying this stuff.
    They sit around at home collecting dust or stuck at the back of a drawer.
    "I'm surrounded by idiots"

I'm sure your going to get a lot of "I don't get it" posts from haters. But Vinylmation is a harmless collectible that appeals to kids and adults. If it doesn't appeal to you, just walk on by.

On our recent trip, my nearly 5-year-old daughter became a Vinylmation junkie. We averaged one per day.

$10 is a lot per figurine. However, it's a relatively cheap souvenier compared to a lot of what is sold in the gift shops. My daughter doesn't care what she gets. She just wants to get something from a gift shop when she sees one.

(Cute story: Before the trip, I watched the Disney planning DVD with her. I told her to let me know if she saw anything that interested her. She pointed out a few expected things. Cinderella - check. Dumbo - check. Then her eyes widened. She jumped off the couch and ran to the TV. She was hopping up and down and pointing wildly. "Daddy!" she exclaimed. "They have a gift shop!" I knew it would be an expensive trip at that point.)

There was something re-assuring about knowing that any gift shop we walked into, we could happily exit it for $10. We used them as rewards. If we got through the day without any fits, she could pick out a "little Mickey". It was one of her favorite parts of the trip by far. She looked forward to picking out a Mickey every day.

We explained to her that there was no way to pick which one you wanted. And that she may get duplicates if she bought from the same series. Fortunately, there were so many series available, we spread out our purchases and never got a duplicate figure.

Regarding the removable arms, they pop off very easily. This is part of the appeal to my daughter. She loves the limited movement and the ability to pop the arms on and off. (I couldn't help thinking it was a terrible choking hazard.)

(Cute story 2: Despite our warnings, our daughter did get her hopes up for one specific figurine. On her second purchase, she was positively convinced she was going to get the "hamburger guy" from one of the urban series. She picked up the box, held it to her ear and shook it. She gave it a sideways look and shook it agin. She put it back and picked up another box. She tested it the same way. "Sounds like a double," she said. "I want that one." I have no idea what a "double" was, but sure enough when we opened the box she got the hamburger figurine she wanted. Thankfully, she never pinned her hopes on one specific figurine again.)

Since we've been back, I've ordered a few figurines on eBay. The ones that are from series that are currently on sale can be purchased at reasonable prices. And there's no chance for duplicates or figures she doesn't like. (She likes the Muppets, for example, but hates Ms. Piggy.) She was thrilled to get a Fozzie Bear figurine. No telling how many boxes I would have had to open to get that specific figure.

The figures from the sold out sets are ridiculously over-priced on eBay. So, completists beware. Fortunately, we're pretty casual in our pursuit of this hobby. I'm happy to pick up what I can for $10/pop.

Also, the Disney store does sell unopended boxes at it's website. I picked up a few boxes of the Theme Park 4 series for my daughter's up-coming 5th birthday.

Currently, my daughter has about 10 figurines. I have another 1/2 dozen or so I haven't given her yet. I'll give them to her for special occassions and rewards.

Does she play with them? Yes and no. She likes to line them up and display them. They are more of a collectible than an actual toy. But sometimes they get played with as a toy as well. Either way, she enjoys having them and spends time with them. So, I see them as a good product.

I'm wondering if you would've succombed to the Vinylcrapation dolls if you did not have kids? the pin trading too? Thankfully my kids have yet to find any of this appealing. Now, my 7 y.o. boy's room is filled with an enormous amount of Lego sets.

I couldn't find it in the 25 secs of web-searching I did, but I'm guessing in 1977 there may have been quite a bit less attractions and stores and eateries than there are today. Point being, maybe space is more the reason for the decline rather than price. The stuff is still colorful and nice to look at. Could be wrong.

For me, it's mainly the blind boxes that turn me off from Vinylmation. I have a blank Mickey and a couple of d23 exclusives with plans to maybe get a purple blank as a Goliath base one of these days... The whole thing isn't very trade-friendly, which is the main problem imo.

In terms of price, it is within the current range of action figures (it really was half a lifetime ago for me when expensive stores like FAO charged $8 for a single Star Wars figure) but still for me it comes down to I don't like blind boxes.

Although the designs are cute (especially Sam the Eagle and other closed attractions) I have no interest. The vinyl medium is too cheap to me to be considered collectible, plus, it will dry out and even change color after enough time. I prefer to stick with traditional figurines like ceramic, bisque, resin, and of course the WDCC. They just seem to be a bit more "fine" IMO.

As far as the guidebooks declining, I couldn't agree more. There is no magic, no fantasy description for the attractions or shops. I'd gladly pay $1 for an upgraded booklet with staples in the middle that actually gave the complete story of what I was about to see.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

I'm happy Disney has come up with another source of revenue that people seem to enjoy. I won't be collecting them any time soon, nor am I a pin collector. I have been hooked, however, by the penny squasher, and have to get 2 or 3 new ones each trip. But I stopped when it came to the quarter squasher - that's just too expensive!!!

• FastPass n00b

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post
    Although the designs are cute (especially Sam the Eagle and other closed attractions) I have no interest. The vinyl medium is too cheap to me to be considered collectible, plus, it will dry out and even change color after enough time. I prefer to stick with traditional figurines like ceramic, bisque, resin, and of course the WDCC. They just seem to be a bit more "fine" IMO.

As far as the guidebooks declining, I couldn't agree more. There is no magic, no fantasy description for the attractions or shops. I'd gladly pay $1 for an upgraded booklet with staples in the middle that actually gave the complete story of what I was about to see.
    I think this is a really insightful post... I totally agree about vinyl being too cheap of a medium to collect. But, to each their own. But, to each their own.

I'm gonna have to fall into the "I don't get it" category, but that doesn't mean I'm a hater, I just don't get why someone would pay good money for a plastic figure.

Aren't the guidebooks paid for by Kodak, though? Is it Kodak who should be held responsible?

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Sadly, as I read all the Vinylmation threads here on Micechat, I can see that history is beginning to repeat itself again. The same things are starting to happen with Vinylmation, that happened with Beanie Babies when they were at the peak of their popularity back in 1997/1998.

I think we need to be reminded that people who get "roped into buying this stuff" are the ones who help fund the park and its ability to expand and improve. Merchandise is a HUGE part of what helps Disneyland Tick. When looked at in that light you should see that people spending $10 on a little plastic figure isn't so bad.

Also keep in mind that some people might actually like collecting these items and not everyone has to understand why they enjoy it.

P.S. Vinylmation are SOOOO MUCH better than beanie babies.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Quote Originally Posted by Petchaurus View Post
    Just be careful. Vinylmation is enjoyable, yes, but don't collect them as an investment. They won't hold their value. Collect them because you enjoy them and love their incredible variety.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • The Future is in RED?

Moving, somewhere in time...but mostly stuck in SoCal in the County of Orange

Sad Re: 4/27: Vinyl Groove

Quote Originally Posted by Petchaurus View Post
    I think we need to be reminded that people who get "roped into buying this stuff" are the ones who help fund the park and its ability to expand and improve. Merchandise is a HUGE part of what helps Disneyland Tick. When looked at in that light you should see that people spending $10 on a little plastic figure isn't so bad.

Also keep in mind that some people might actually like collecting these items and not everyone has to understand why they enjoy it.

^ I would digress, Vinylmation and Beanie Babies are great in their own way (that`s my view on them.)

But I do agree, that 'the stories' removed from the guide books is great and sad decling by degrees.

Timekeeper

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by SpectroMan View Post

First, yes I miss the multi-page guidebooks that Disney used to have back in the 70's, with the more detailed info. But there is also a certain charm in having all of DL or all of DCA on one fold out map.

As for the Vinylmations, the first sign of these overpriced pet squeeky toys - sans squeeker, were at DLR's Vault 28 store. Vinyls by Span of Sunset had two primary designs: Cheshire Cat (colored as a pirate, and as a HM ghost, among other designs) and Run-away Brain Mickey (in solid colors) and presented in a box decorated as a "Cereal Box". These were larger than the Mickey shaped vinylmations, and approximately 6" by 8". But with a price tag of $150 to $200. I cried FOUL, when seeing these squeekerless squeeky toys selling for that high of a price! Even though I did like the pirate and ghost Cheshire Cat, and I liked the presentation of Runaway Brain Mickey, BUT NOT in VINYL!

As Spectroman stated very well:

The vinyl medium is too cheap to me to be considered collectible, plus, it will dry out and even change color after enough time. I prefer to stick with traditional figurines like ceramic, bisque, resin, and of course the WDCC.

I hold that exact same opinion. I MUCH prefer the highly detailed WDCC pieces, with their high quality figures, and do have dozens collected from over the years. Sadly WDCC, annual membership was discontinued, which had easily become my favorite and longest running most dependable Disney collectable purchase. And it lead to me purchasing several other WDCC collection pieces, with the same high quality, including a full color Runaway Brain Mickey, which is SO MUCH nicer than the Vinlymation one color pieces that cost about the same!

But the $10 Mickey's ($8 with the premium AP discount) is much more reasonable - considering that vinylmation won't stand up over the years, unlike the pins or othe ceramic and resin pieces.

• The Candidate

Upon arrival back home, we googled the question and still didnít see a trading place for Vinylmation, but our son assured us he had seen a shelf in D-Street itself for trading (and it featured a Sam Eagle, he said!) I wished he had told us when we were there still; I would have traded the elephant in a heartbeat.
    The store at Disneyland's Downtown Disney does have a place to trade.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast