Question What happened to the updates?

What happened to the updates, Al? They used to be so "cutting edge" and informative. Now it seems as though information is just taken from other websites and photos are displayed. Also, what happened to the frequency. A couple months ago there was at least one update a week-- Now we're lucky to get one every two weeks. There obviously is "insider" information to be posted because I read about it every day on the forums. Just wondering whats been going on lately. Thanks!

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    I'm guessing Al just has a life outside of Disney...and this week's update was certainly good quality, I felt. There is no need for frequent updates when we find out everything there is to know on our own...

Ya know, it's hard to give you a leg to stand on when you demand content from a free web site.

You'll get an update whenever you get it, most likely.
    "Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservative." - John Stuart Mill
    -
    "We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home." - Edward R. Murrow
    -
    "It's far easier to fight for your principles than it is to live up to them." - Adelai Stephenson
    -
    Reason for the Season? Tilt of the planet's axis. Oh, you meant the holiday season? That's easy - Feast of Saturnalia. Disagree? That's nice.

• Social Imagineer

I think the updates were more cutting when the news called for Al's caustic humor and intense criticism. Folks back then often opined that Al just had a chip on his shoulder about Disneyland and would never say a nice word about the place if his mother's life depended on it.

Lo and behold, Disneyland is improving by leaps and bounds. There's hardly any bad news to report, and Al is practically gushing about the place. It makes for less interesting prose, perhaps, but certainly proves the naysayers wrong.

Anyway, it seems as if our choice is between a better Disneyland or a better read on Al's Updates. Take your own pick, but I know where my choice comes down.

• Banned User

I noticed this as well, and wondered where the killjoys all went now that Al has become an almost ray of sunshine.

Probably having a fabulous little time in their own worlds I would guess....

• No bacon; sausage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzman
    I noticed this as well, and wondered where the killjoys all went now that Al has become an almost ray of sunshine.

Probably having a fabulous little time in their own worlds I would guess....
    They're trying to figure out how to attribute the turn-around to Pressler.

• Minion

It proves that all along Al has been someone who has great love for the park, and when there is something positive to say he does so with all the deserving accolades. I for one have not found any of the recent content boring in any way. I am glad there is good things to say and see, and I see no reason for a weekly update, quality not quantity matters to me.

• wasting time

Sometimes Al has information but has to wait to speak about it in order to make sure it's accurate & to protect his sources.

I know he must have heard something by now about the new Monsters Inc ride being built in DCA where SuperStar Limo used to be but he not saying anything about it just yet. I'm sure when he does comment on it he'll have some interesting content to share with us (not that what he's writing currently is not interesting).

As others have said, Al's columns are published when there's news to share that's been verified. Also, even when there's a column published that's not by Al, he still has to edit the dang thing & post it to the site which takes some work too and I'm sure he appreciates having a night off.

Patience.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    Sometimes Al has information but has to wait to speak about it in order to make sure it's accurate & to protect his sources.

Patience.
    I think the other part of it is that at the end of last year we where getting spoiled updates once a week, sometimes more than that... There are a lot of changes going on, and I am certian it is difficult to keep track of everything as it happens...

I have noticed that Al has switched to something a little more manageable, longer updates with less frequency... And it is kinda wierd too, like the last time I was at the Mickey & Friends Tram they played Roxane over the Downtown Disney PA... I couldn't help but laugh.

These BLOGS are terrific... Why? Because now there is a record to present the board if they even think of nominating Paul Presler as CEO of Disney, and indite the "singles and doubles" mentality of Eisner - not because who they are as people... But because it matters to us, because somewhere at this park lies a part of all of us...

It isn't about money... It is much more personal... Its our youth, our dreams, our imagination, our memories, our friends and family... It is the thing we love... It drives us to buy AP's, and Vacation packages, and common stock, and purchase copies of movies that we loved as a kid but aren't nearly as good as we remember them... It is watching a little kid get lost when they hug a theme character...

Its easy to get cynical about the company... BUT... Disneyland is the only place I know where I am smiling when I buy a $7 corndog and a $50 board game themed for POTC... And people wear the silliest of hats they wouldn't be caught dead in on a public street... That amazes me everytime I there... Oh, how we all do get lost under the spell of the Magic Kingdom!

So even though I am 34... I wait with antipation for Al's updates like a kid waking up on Christmas morning... (Just like I await the updates at SaveDisney.com and other Disney blogs. Even the Company News for Disney on the Yahoo website. And the tracker I have on the Stock price...) All I can see is flashes paper wrappings and a young hearts desire! And when all is revealed! All I can think of is, "Oh, boy! it's my favorite toy!"

Yup... And what a toy it is! It's a place called Disneyland.

Thanks Al, I don't know who the heck you are, but I owe you a cheese blintz with warm peach compote and a cup of coffee some morning...

• wasting time

There's a rumored update sometime between 6PM - 8PM.

:devil:

• 0 to 200 mph in 1 second!

As someone also hounded for updates on a completely unrelated website I can relate to posting news only when there is verifiable information to report. It may be frustrating to those waiting for an update, but its better to recieve news you know you can trust than countless page after page of conflicting rumours. I finish reading some of these posts more confused and out-of-the-know than before I started.

Keep up the good work, Al. And in your own time.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Minion
    There's a rumored update sometime between 6PM - 8PM.

:devil:
    Well, now that you let it out of the bag, it will be available only during Magic Al Mornings.