Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • MiceAge Founder & Editor

Blog Entries

5/13: Engineering the Hat

The Detailing of the Disneyland Railroad... discuss it all here...

DIRECT ARTICLE LINK: Engineering the Hat - MiceAge.com
    "Politics is the profession whereby the inevitable is made to seem a great human achievement" - Quentin Crisp

• Pilot EdForceOne

Re: 5/13: Engineering the Hat

awww... I was hoping this was going to be about the Hat in MGM Studios!
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    awww... I was hoping this was going to be about the Hat in MGM Studios!
    Nope--not about pointy hats! (although I agree that thing is a real eyesore).

• Animatronic

It is always annoying when things looked better and more authentic at one point (usually under Walt) and then, for no good reason, they go all lame. I am glad they got rid of the 70's ink blot, it fit in about as well as hi-low shag carpet would have fit on Main Street.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• It all started on a train

Hemet, Ca (70 miles from Disneyland, just close enough to bike there ;) )

Nicely written!

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." - Alfred Pennyworth - Batman Begins

• Senior Minion

Fascinating history & another great read, Steve! Well done!

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Thanks everyone.

• Pilot EdForceOne

now the question is which of the said hats do you own??
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Hukuna Matata!

Very cool history lesson, Thanks for Sharing the history of the Disney Railroad hat.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    now the question is which of the said hats do you own??
    Now that is a question, isn't it?

Aw geez Steve, could you at least wear a Kromer blue denim Style A cap?

• Closed Account

If I had know that I'd be photographed, I might have worn my stripes!

• FastPass n00b

This was a fantastic article, as usual. However, VERY disappointed about the Chinese-made junk, *especially* when there's an American-made counterpart available! I get frustrated when I can't find anything that's made in the United States, but I would pay twice as much to get a quality product over a Chinese-made piece of junk that's going to fall apart in a year or two, if I could actually find it.

The problem is that usually you can't even FIND an American-made alternative. But when there's one available and you don't take it because of cost (and it's really short-term cost because you'll end up replacing it MUCH more frequently), that is just shameful on so many levels.

All this nonsense about "globalization" and a global economy, and evolving from a manufacturing economy into a "service-based" economy just drives me crazy. There is absolutely no reason things couldn't be manufactured in this country... it's purely cost related and it just makes me upset when I see every single label in this country say "Made in China". We've upgraded our lifestyles in the past 20-30 years through cheaper manufacturing, but at the cost of our economic and political security. We are basically at the whim of China and the Middle East because they control our supply of goods nowadays.

Anyway, this is just *shameful* that Disney had the chance to stay in the country for manufacturing and they chose the supposedly cheaper route (although in the long-term it's probably going to be more expensive). It might be just a hat, but it's very upsetting because it's indicative of a much larger problem we've created in the past 20-30 years.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    This was a fantastic article, as usual. However, VERY disappointed about the Chinese-made junk, *especially* when there's an American-made counterpart available! I get frustrated when I can't find anything that's made in the United States, but I would pay twice as much to get a quality product over a Chinese-made piece of junk that's going to fall apart in a year or two, if I could actually find it.

The problem is that usually you can't even FIND an American-made alternative. But when there's one available and you don't take it because of cost (and it's really short-term cost because you'll end up replacing it MUCH more frequently), that is just shameful on so many levels.

All this nonsense about "globalization" and a global economy, and evolving from a manufacturing economy into a "service-based" economy just drives me crazy. There is absolutely no reason things couldn't be manufactured in this country... it's purely cost related and it just makes me upset when I see every single label in this country say "Made in China". We've upgraded our lifestyles in the past 20-30 years through cheaper manufacturing, but at the cost of our economic and political security. We are basically at the whim of China and the Middle East because they control our supply of goods nowadays.

Anyway, this is just *shameful* that Disney had the chance to stay in the country for manufacturing and they chose the supposedly cheaper route (although in the long-term it's probably going to be more expensive). It might be just a hat, but it's very upsetting because it's indicative of a much larger problem we've created in the past 20-30 years.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.

How can you POSSIBLY have a Made-in-China Engineer hats?? On that most-American of railroads? Yet, it is so. You can go to the manufacturer's website...It's literally a few cents difference between China made and USA made.

The article mentioned something about the DL/Santa Fe breakup being rather messy, but this is the first I've heard of that. Is there an article out there somewhere that talks about it some more? I'd also be interested to see what relationship they had with the Monorail and other attractions, since that whole Retlaw thing has always interested me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast